Attansic/Atheros L1 internet disconnections, ASUS P5K SE/EPU

Nathan-NL

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Hello,

My internet disconnects all the time, sometimes it doesn't d/c in a while, but I think when I'm downloading it disconnects all the time.

I have tried the latest driver, an old Attansic driver and turning off task offload, flow control, nothing worked.

Any idea?

I use W7 x64 btw.

Disable, allow the computer to switch off this device to save power from it's properties in the device manager.
Also make sure that the Power Saving feature in the PC is not set to switch it off while in use.

Nathan-NL

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Okay, I'll see if it helps, thanks.

(Current settings: flow control: off, IPv6 off and the settings you suggested, Power Saving was already on performance)

Edit: I believe it's still disconnecting.

Edit2: Currently using the driver provided by Microsoft, Windows Update (2.4.7.172), I've tried the latest from Atheros as well (2.4.7.29)

Ah!! Ok Performance was the Power Scheme.....
Change Speed/Duplex setting to the same as what the router is set at, or on auto negotiate. Check Max/Jumbo packet size.
If this does not work, we will need to roll back the drivers to the earlier version provided by the company/companies.

To resolve,go to the driver properties, click Advanced / Task Offload, and turn this feature off.
This should solve the problem altogether. Check and tell us after trying whatever you did when you saw the connection disconnect.

I'd recommend going for a cheaper option unless it's time for a full upgrade.
Check out which slots you have free on the board, PCie, PCI PCIe 1x, then choose the appropriate card and if necessary a riser.
You might not need the riser if you were to use the Last PCIe 1x slot on the board for a card like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833189002&cm_sp=Cat_Wired_Networking-_-Weekly_Deals-_-33-189-002

Or for other options....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010064%20600016290&IsNodeId=1&name=PCI-Express

Nathan-NL

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Hmm, I guess such a small LAN adapter won't obstruct the airflow since the GPU's fan is in the middle. My motherboard is the P5K SE/EPU currently (my P5K broke down) and the GPU is in the x16 lane.

Edit: Oh, it only looked small. I have a Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5870 OC btw.

The air flow will have a problem only if you were to mount something in the first PCIe 1x slot or the first PCI slot.
By the way, what GPU are you using?

75731_2245_draft.jpg

Ah ok. The HD 5870 Vapor X will not have a problem at all if you were to mount a card in the Last PCI or PCIe 1x slot.

Nathan-NL

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
I must say tho that I in fact am saving up for an upgrade. But I'm not yet sure what to buy...

I made a list of possible upgrades: 2500/2600K, compatible motherboard and DDR3 RAM memory; 955/965, compatible motherboard and DDR3 RAM memory; OCZ Vertex 3, compatible motherboard (SATA-600); new GPU; Ivy Bridge/Bulldozer.

But I'm not sure what's the best option, I mainly use my PC to game (I have BF3 pre-ordered) and just use it for every day tasks, but I do multitask quite a bit.

Current specs: http://puu.sh/7eCi

Personally, I'd go for a 965BE with a good board since I like my AMD rigs a lot. But for you, I'd say go for the 2600K a nice Asus or EVGA board 2 X 560Ti GPUs and Ample RAM.

The SSD would be good for the OS get a nice 1TB Drive for programs, a 3TB for data and backups.
A big ass Monitor with 120Hz refresh rates preferable a Touch Screen so you can enjoy the Win 8 Touch stuff when it comes out.:)

I'm getting my FX-8150 in the next week most probably will let you know what's the actual ranking in my opinion :)

Nathan-NL

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Hmm yeah, that sounds sweet. Then I got to save up some more money :p

(Currently have €239,22 saved up, soon to be €339,22)