Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Lost power, now computer will not boot past BIOS scree

Last response: in Systems
October 27, 2012 8:11:48 PM

Good afternoon,

I lost power and now my computer will not boot past the BIOS screen.

My motherboard is an ASUS P*Z68-VPro. I noticed that the BOOT_DEVICE_LED light is lit up. While my hard drive is connected, I cannot hit del and get into the BIOS. If I disconnect my hard drive and reboot, I can get into the BIOS by hitting del. I have tried swapping my SATA cable, but that makes no difference. While starting to boot, I think it shows that my hard drive is recognized and connected. I've also tried resetting the CMOS.

Could this be something with my mobo or is my HDD toast?

Thanks!!

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 27, 2012 8:25:27 PM

That sounds like HDD to me. Maybe try booting from a different device if possible
October 27, 2012 8:30:46 PM

Loosing power your hard drive could have got corrupt preventing it from booting. I have seen it a few times. One PC I worked on had done that I ended up having to use it in a USB adapter that I plugged in after the OS was booted. Any other way the BIOS would hang. Did a re format that way and put it back in the original PC and re installed the OS.

To this day I still do not really know what caused the drive to do that but it is still working.
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2012 8:31:50 PM

Thanks for your response lt_dan_zsu.

I am able to boot from my Windows 7 CD without issue. Does this mean my hard drive is dead?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 27, 2012 8:33:58 PM

Yeah. That is what I would guess. Look at the suggestion of the other guy. I think he might have a good idea. Unfortunately it might involve losing all your data.
m
l
October 27, 2012 8:39:53 PM

Thank you both for your replies.
m
l
October 27, 2012 8:46:54 PM

bryonhowley said:
Loosing power your hard drive could have got corrupt preventing it from booting. I have seen it a few times. One PC I worked on had done that I ended up having to use it in a USB adapter that I plugged in after the OS was booted. Any other way the BIOS would hang. Did a re format that way and put it back in the original PC and re installed the OS.

To this day I still do not really know what caused the drive to do that but it is still working.

So you took the HDD out, connected it to a USB adapter, plugged it into another computer, reformatted, put it back in the original computer and reloaded the OS?
m
l
October 28, 2012 11:10:54 AM

Best answer selected by themeattornado.
m
l
October 29, 2012 12:50:28 PM

bryonhowley said:

I ended up putting in another hard drive and loading the OS. After doing that, I was able to access the old hard drive (and get my files off of it!). I then reformatted the old hard drive and it works fine now. Thanks for your suggestion!
m
l
!