Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$3000 Build Final Confirmation: Any Problems or Possible Improvements?

Last response: in Systems
October 27, 2012 8:24:32 PM

Hello everyone. It will be mostly for gaming, but I will do a great bit of music listening as well. Just want to make sure that the parts I have picked out are compatible and that i am not making any bad choices price:p erformance wise!

Here is the link with the parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lC6P and since there seems to be no lin for the speakers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Thanks in advance
October 27, 2012 9:26:25 PM

A few minor observations:

If you want 16GB of RAM (8GB is more than enough for gaming), better to use 2x8GB, with Z77 mobos, than 4x4GB
You don't need 1000w, with that build 750w is plenty. Suggest Corsair HX, or Seasonic X, or Rosewill Capstone.
Personally prefer Gigabyte for GTX 670.

With, or without changes, along those lines, pretty good.
m
l
October 27, 2012 10:14:24 PM

id say overkill and some unbalances

-either go full custom watercooling or get a good heatsink
-16gb of ram is not needed
-the extreme4 is a terrible choice for a very high end system. its good overall but could be way better
-you want a 7970 not a 670 unless you plan to do 3d
-get motherboard at newegg since there is free ram
-unless you are a true audiophile, i really wouldnt suggest getting a essence card
-mid tower fits everything, therefore i recommend a mid tower. the haf x is for larger rigs. and if i were to chose a full tower, it wouldnt be the haf x
-1000w psu is overkill
-MMO gaming mice arent that great for fps. and if you are playing a mmo, you dont need such a expensive rig since most of them arent that demanding
-better keyboard. if you dont need full backlighting, id get the quickfire pro for 79.99
-really dont see the point of a set of speakers when you have a good sound card

heres what i would get
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/lCUm

also, id suggest getting one 7970 and test out the rig first. if you think it deems for more performance, just add another one later on. buying 2 at once and then realizing that there is no difference between one card and 2 cards would mean you wasted money
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2012 12:15:49 AM

-all i need to know is that the trigger is built by filco, which is one of the best makers. not sure where gigabyte gets their stuff. also, i have the quickfire rapid which is also cooler master (rebrand of a filco) and its great.
-well expect very loud fans. i wouldnt get a h100 either way. either go full custom or get a good heatsink
-because it doesnt make sense in a expensive build
-fps mice tend to have less buttons. not sure how people cope with a numpad on their mouse. kinda affects ergonomics for me but depends on the person
-high dpi is useless. pro gamers or most gamers buy very high dpi mice but turn it all the way down to 1500dpi.
-the benchmarks are dated. driver updates make the 7970 perform a good bit better. there has been at least 3 performance bumps from 3 driver updates while the nvidia team is idiling
m
l
October 28, 2012 12:53:28 AM

How, if you would be so kind, is the storm trigger any better than the osmium? Also, I would get the nhd14 but the h100 is on sale for $5 more, takes up way less space in the case, looks better, and has slightly better performance. Third, as long as the motherboard is compatible with my parts, why upgrade? I agree with the psu I guess i could downgrade a bit. However, what makes the mouse not so good for fps games? It seems to have all the great features like on the fly dpi, a max of 8200 dpi (ALOT) and a comfortable shape. Finally, why would i go with the 7970 when most benchmarks show that it performs worse or similarly for a higher cost?
m
l
October 28, 2012 1:02:15 AM

I would get 7970 ghz edition. I think that is the fastest gpu at the moment. Spending $3k may as well go all out where it counts. Also, flico makes a great mechanical keyboard. I have the majestouch ten keyless browns and its great for typing AND gaming. Do yourself a favor and get top of the line peripherals-- one of the most underrated and important part of any of experience!
m
l
October 28, 2012 1:03:02 AM

Alright, but why does it not make sense as long as it is compatible with everything (referring to mobo)?
m
l
October 28, 2012 1:10:36 AM

it works and it will do the job, but when people look at your build, the extreme4 looks out of place in a 3000 dollar build
m
l
October 28, 2012 10:04:36 AM

pckid22 said:
Alright, but why does it not make sense as long as it is compatible with everything (referring to mobo)?

The Extreme 4 is a budget mobo, that concentrates on decent performance, and reasonable feature set, rather than build quality, and high spec components. That makes it an ideal choice for someone looking for capability, on a budget.
Really, a $3000 build "deserves" a better QUALITY mobo.
m
l
October 28, 2012 12:12:49 PM

Will it, in any way, bottleneck my performance? This is not going to be upgraded at all after I buy it (unavoidable due to some special circumstances), but in four years I am going to build a brand new one for the same amount of money with the awesome new technology that will inevitably exist. So, as long as it will not bottleneck my performance at all I see no reason not to save money on the mobo. I could care less about the status quo of having a fancy one.
m
l
October 28, 2012 1:27:03 PM

If you're going for Asus, the one to use is the P8Z77-V. Best overclocking ability, with best support for SLi/crossfire. The "lower" Asus boards sacrifice one or the other, to some degree.
An alternative, at lower cost might be Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H. Similar performance, I believe, to the ASRock, but better quality. You said about not intending to upgrade, just do new build in 4 years. There are no four year warranties going, but, at least, a better board is MORE likely to last 4 years.
m
l
October 28, 2012 2:41:26 PM

use the z77-v pro as i suggested.

the LK is good. i have one myself but at 3000 dollars, you can definitly use a better motherboard
m
l
October 28, 2012 11:36:11 PM

Why do i need one though? Again, the extreme 4 will not bottleneck in any way right?
m
l
October 29, 2012 9:40:42 AM

pckid22 said:
Why do i need one though? Again, the extreme 4 will not bottleneck in any way right?

it wont but it looks stupid in a 3000 dollar build. you can definitly afford better quality so why not? a extreme4 is a budget board but are you on a low budget? no. so id get a better board.
m
l

Best solution

October 29, 2012 10:05:55 AM

pckid22 said:

Whilst it's true that something like Asus P8Z77-V will give slightly better performance, than an Extreme 4, that will hardly be noticeable, but that's not the point. The Exreme 4 may be a good value board; it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good board. In order to produce it, at a cheap price, corners have been cut.
It's made of thin matereal, and is not a standard ATX size. That means that you can't use all the fixing points when installing it, so one side is not supported. That coupled with it being thin, mean you have to be very careful, when assembling, to avoid damage.
It also uses some low quality components, which are liable to overheat, if CPU is drawing high wattage, which can cause crashes, and reduce board life. It is therefore wise not to overclock too agressively, limiting its potential performance (or shortening life).
The Extreme 4 is a "Go to" board, if funds are tight, but just doesn't make sense, if funds are "plentiful". It's a bit like putting a Ford engine, in a Ferrari.
October 29, 2012 10:22:10 AM

malbluff said:
Whilst it's true that something like Asus P8Z77-V will give slightly better performance, than an Extreme 4, that will hardly be noticeable, but that's not the point. The Exreme 4 may be a good value board; it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good board. In order to produce it, at a cheap price, corners have been cut.
It's made of thin matereal, and is not a standard ATX size. That means that you can't use all the fixing points when installing it, so one side is not supported. That coupled with it being thin, mean you have to be very careful, when assembling, to avoid damage.
It also uses some low quality components, which are liable to overheat, if CPU is drawing high wattage, which can cause crashes, and reduce board life. It is therefore wise not to overclock too agressively, limiting its potential performance (or shortening life).
The Extreme 4 is a "Go to" board, if funds are tight, but just doesn't make sense, if funds are "plentiful". It's a bit like putting a Ford engine, in a Ferrari.

id suggest getting the v-pro. even better board
m
l
October 29, 2012 12:46:22 PM

Best answer selected by pckid22.
m
l
!