Opening Pentax *ist DS RAW .PEF files in Windows 98?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 8, 2005 7:25:09 PM

Pentax say on the box that the Windows system requirement is Windows
ME/2000/XP and they're not kidding. I'd hoped that the limitation was
something to do with requiring USB 2.0 support for uploading images,
which I didn't care about as I've got a USB card reader which is quite
happy to read my Secure Digital card.

However, the software with the *ist DS (including the software for
processing RAW images) requires some methods in Share32.dll which simply
don't exist in Win98. My other half says it would be a mistake to copy
Share32.dll from WinME or WinXP and overwrite my Win98 version...

I've found and downloaded a .PEF plugin from the Pentax site, but it
also claims to need Windows ME/2000/XP plus it needs PhotoShop 5. I'm
currently running PhotoShop 4 LE but have a CD with 5 LE on it in the
box that my Epson Stylus Photo 1200 printer came in five or six years
ago. I've just tried to load it and the serial number on it doesn't
work:-( After all this time, I probably don't have a lot of come-back
from Epson over it, either:-( The plugin definitely doesn't work with 4
LE, but I don't know whether that's because of Photoshop or Win98.

Has anybody had any success at opening and editing .PEF files on a
Windows 98 system?

I might have to bite the bullet and upgrade to WinXP, but I'd rather not
if I don't have to, particularly as I've still got the *ist DS to pay
off my credit card and don't want to spend any more than I have to:-)

On the bright side, I can upload JPEG images via my USB card reader, and
I've got software which will open and manipulate those, so I can use the
*ist DS, just not its RAW facility. If I start shooting in RAW, I'll
probably need to invest in more SD cards, too, which is yet more
expense!

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson <helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk>
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/baronmoss/index.html

Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
> However, the software with the *ist DS (including the software for
> processing RAW images) requires some methods in Share32.dll which
> simply don't exist in Win98. My other half says it would be a mistake
> to copy Share32.dll from WinME or WinXP and overwrite my Win98
> version...

Paint Shop Pro ver 9 works with Windows98 SE or better and opens *.PEF RAW
files.
You can find it here: http://deals.jasc.com/jan2005/?
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 7:54:02 PM

In article <BWzwoBAllA4BFweU@baronmoss.demon.co.uk>, Helen Edith
Stephenson <helen@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
[snip]
>I've found and downloaded a .PEF plugin from the Pentax site, but it
>also claims to need Windows ME/2000/XP plus it needs PhotoShop 5. I'm
>currently running PhotoShop 4 LE but have a CD with 5 LE on it in the
>box that my Epson Stylus Photo 1200 printer came in five or six years
>ago. I've just tried to load it and the serial number on it doesn't
>work:-( After all this time, I probably don't have a lot of come-back
>from Epson over it, either:-( The plugin definitely doesn't work with 4
>LE, but I don't know whether that's because of Photoshop or Win98.
[snip]

My other half found the generic security code for PhotoShop 5 LE and
I've installed it. The plugin doesn't work:-(

It reports that it's "unable to display preview".

Anyway, I'm glad I've loaded Photoshop 5 LE as it apparently does 99
layers instead of 5:-)

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson <helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk>
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 8:40:01 PM

In article <adUDd.77862$P%3.2549401@news20.bellglobal.com>, Gaderian
<nospam@anisp.com> writes
>Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
>> However, the software with the *ist DS (including the software for
>> processing RAW images) requires some methods in Share32.dll which
>> simply don't exist in Win98. My other half says it would be a mistake
>> to copy Share32.dll from WinME or WinXP and overwrite my Win98
>> version...
>>
>Paint Shop Pro ver 9 works with Windows98 SE or better and opens *.PEF RAW
>files.
>You can find it here: http://deals.jasc.com/jan2005/?

Thanks!

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson <helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk>
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 8:48:39 PM

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:53:52 -0500, Gaderian wrote:

> Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
>> However, the software with the *ist DS (including the software for
>> processing RAW images) requires some methods in Share32.dll which
>> simply don't exist in Win98. My other half says it would be a mistake
>> to copy Share32.dll from WinME or WinXP and overwrite my Win98
>> version...
>>
> Paint Shop Pro ver 9 works with Windows98 SE or better and opens *.PEF RAW
> files.
> You can find it here: http://deals.jasc.com/jan2005/?

Not DS files, they're not the same as those from the D.

Apart from the Pentax software the only other that can use .PEF files from
the DS is the beta of ACR 2.4 (for Photoshop CS and Elements 3).

--
John Bean

I like to tell people I have the heart of a small boy. Then I say it's in a
jar on my desk (Stephen King)
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 8:48:40 PM

John Bean wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:53:52 -0500, Gaderian wrote:
>
>> Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
>>> However, the software with the *ist DS (including the software for
>>> processing RAW images) requires some methods in Share32.dll which
>>> simply don't exist in Win98. My other half says it would be a
>>> mistake to copy Share32.dll from WinME or WinXP and overwrite my
>>> Win98 version...
>>>
>> Paint Shop Pro ver 9 works with Windows98 SE or better and opens
>> *.PEF RAW files.
>> You can find it here: http://deals.jasc.com/jan2005/?
>
> Not DS files, they're not the same as those from the D.
>
> Apart from the Pentax software the only other that can use .PEF files
> from the DS is the beta of ACR 2.4 (for Photoshop CS and Elements 3).
Interesting! I didn't know that. Glad I have my D
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 8:58:17 PM

Helen, I understand your frustrations. That said I seriously advise you to
bite the bullet and upgrade your OS. An increasing amount of software will
become unavailable to you if you continue to cling onto an OS that was far
from perfect in 1998, let alone 2005...

You could use Dave Coffin's dcraw (http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/)
- there's a version you can get pre-compiled for Windows - which can open
PEF files from the DS. Other than that, there's nothing AFAIK that will work
for you in Win98. Sorry.

--
John Bean

I never knew my father was an alcoholic until he came home sober one
night... (Andre Botes)
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 9:37:18 PM

In article <brvdvqu5cdt$.dlg@waterfoot.net>, John Bean
<waterfoot@gmail.com> writes
>Helen, I understand your frustrations. That said I seriously advise you to
>bite the bullet and upgrade your OS. An increasing amount of software will
>become unavailable to you if you continue to cling onto an OS that was far
>from perfect in 1998, let alone 2005...
>
>You could use Dave Coffin's dcraw (http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/)
>- there's a version you can get pre-compiled for Windows - which can open
>PEF files from the DS. Other than that, there's nothing AFAIK that will work
>for you in Win98. Sorry.

It's looking increasingly likely that an upgrade to WinXP may become
inevitable. If I can put it off for a bit longer, I'd like to, but if I
want to shoot RAW images, I think this PC is going to require an
upgrade.

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson <helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk>
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk
January 8, 2005 9:37:19 PM

Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:

> In article <brvdvqu5cdt$.dlg@waterfoot.net>, John Bean
> <waterfoot@gmail.com> writes
>
>>Helen, I understand your frustrations. That said I seriously advise you to
>>bite the bullet and upgrade your OS. An increasing amount of software will
>>become unavailable to you if you continue to cling onto an OS that was far
>
>>from perfect in 1998, let alone 2005...
>
>>You could use Dave Coffin's dcraw (http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/)
>>- there's a version you can get pre-compiled for Windows - which can open
>>PEF files from the DS. Other than that, there's nothing AFAIK that will work
>>for you in Win98. Sorry.
>>

> It's looking increasingly likely that an upgrade to WinXP may become
> inevitable. If I can put it off for a bit longer, I'd like to, but if I
> want to shoot RAW images, I think this PC is going to require an
> upgrade.
>
> Helen

I don't know what kind of PC your still using with Win98, but you may
need to take a hard and honest look at upgrading the PC itself, as WinXP
doesn't play nice with under-powered CPUs.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

"Helen Edith Stephenson" <helen@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Pentax say on the box that the Windows system requirement is Windows
> ME/2000/XP and they're not kidding. I'd hoped that the limitation was
> something to do with requiring USB 2.0 support for uploading images,
> which I didn't care about as I've got a USB card reader which is quite
> happy to read my Secure Digital card.
>
> However, the software with the *ist DS (including the software for
> processing RAW images) requires some methods in Share32.dll which simply
> don't exist in Win98. My other half says it would be a mistake to copy
> Share32.dll from WinME or WinXP and overwrite my Win98 version...

I am using Pentax Photo Browser, and Pentax Photo Laboratory in Win 98SE, I
also have the Pentax plug-in for Photoshop. ThumbsPlus (Cerious Software)
has aRAW plug-in that works for Thumbs Plus.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 11:57:47 PM

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:36:08 -0500, Gaderian wrote:

> John Bean wrote:

>>> Paint Shop Pro ver 9 works with Windows98 SE or better and opens
>>> *.PEF RAW files.
>>> You can find it here: http://deals.jasc.com/jan2005/?
>>
>> Not DS files, they're not the same as those from the D.
>>
>> Apart from the Pentax software the only other that can use .PEF files
>> from the DS is the beta of ACR 2.4 (for Photoshop CS and Elements 3).
> Interesting! I didn't know that. Glad I have my D

Ah, but my DS can store 92 raw files on a 1GB card :-)

Third party support for the DS will catch up eventually I imagine, but as a
CS user I'm happy that Adobe are on the ball.

--
John Bean

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in
Australia (Charles Schultz)
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 1:23:28 AM

In article <crpk40$ttl@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
writes
>Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
>
>> In article <brvdvqu5cdt$.dlg@waterfoot.net>, John Bean
>> <waterfoot@gmail.com> writes
>>
>>>Helen, I understand your frustrations. That said I seriously advise you to
>>>bite the bullet and upgrade your OS. An increasing amount of software will
>>>become unavailable to you if you continue to cling onto an OS that was far
>>
>>>from perfect in 1998, let alone 2005...
>>
>>>You could use Dave Coffin's dcraw (http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/)
>>>- there's a version you can get pre-compiled for Windows - which can open
>>>PEF files from the DS. Other than that, there's nothing AFAIK that will work
>>>for you in Win98. Sorry.
>>>

>> It's looking increasingly likely that an upgrade to WinXP may become
>> inevitable. If I can put it off for a bit longer, I'd like to, but if I
>> want to shoot RAW images, I think this PC is going to require an
>> upgrade.
>>
>> Helen
>

>I don't know what kind of PC your still using with Win98, but you may
>need to take a hard and honest look at upgrading the PC itself, as WinXP
>doesn't play nice with under-powered CPUs.

It's a Pentium III. Can't remember if it's 500MHz or 550MHz. It seemed a
lot at the time when I bought it back in 1998 or 1999!

My other half wants me to buy a new case with motherboard and power
supply already installed, and get a new processor, and then transfer the
rest of my bits across, but I want to pay off the DS first:-)

If I can get XP to run on it as it is while I'm reducing the outstanding
balance on my credit card, then I'd prefer to get XP to run on it as it
is, particularly if my dentist decides I need a crown on Tuesday...

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson <helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk>
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 1:26:05 AM

In article <utXDd.36124$7n1.1439975@news20.bellglobal.com>, Gaderian
<nospam@anisp.com> writes
>John Bean wrote:

>>> Paint Shop Pro ver 9 works with Windows98 SE or better and opens
>>> *.PEF RAW files.
>>> You can find it here: http://deals.jasc.com/jan2005/?
>>
>> Not DS files, they're not the same as those from the D.
>>
>> Apart from the Pentax software the only other that can use .PEF files
>> from the DS is the beta of ACR 2.4 (for Photoshop CS and Elements 3).
>Interesting! I didn't know that. Glad I have my D

This isn't something that I've picked up from the reviews I've seen of
the DS. Maybe I should have been reading this group a month ago.

Of course, a month ago I probably wouldn't have thought to ask exactly
the right question, as a month ago I was still assuming that the only
non-Win98 thing about the software was likely to be the USB 2.0 support,
which turned out to be a wrong assumption.

I did actually attempt to ask some questions about the software and
Win98 but the people who work for camera shops didn't know the answers.

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson <helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk>
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 3:58:55 AM

In message <YDim9lAg1F4BFwMg@baronmoss.demon.co.uk>,
Helen Edith Stephenson <helen@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>It's a Pentium III. Can't remember if it's 500MHz or 550MHz. It seemed a
>lot at the time when I bought it back in 1998 or 1999!

It is mainly the amount of RAM and the available hard disk space that
you need to concern yourself with. The CPU won't be any slower running
WinXP than Win98. It is only for running calculation-intensive programs
that you want the faster CPUs, regardless of the operating system. If
you're going to be working with RAW files, that is reason alone to get a
faster CPU; you might wait 5 seconds instead of 30 for a RAW file to
develop.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 4:15:28 AM

Helen Edith Stephenson posted:
> In article <crpk40$ttl@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
> writes
> >Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
> >
> >> In article <brvdvqu5cdt$.dlg@waterfoot.net>, John Bean
> >> <waterfoot@gmail.com> writes

> >> It's looking increasingly likely that an upgrade to WinXP may become
> >> inevitable. If I can put it off for a bit longer, I'd like to, but if I
> >> want to shoot RAW images, I think this PC is going to require an
> >> upgrade.
> >>
> >> Helen
> >

> >I don't know what kind of PC your still using with Win98, but you may
> >need to take a hard and honest look at upgrading the PC itself, as WinXP
> >doesn't play nice with under-powered CPUs.
>
> It's a Pentium III. Can't remember if it's 500MHz or 550MHz. It seemed a
> lot at the time when I bought it back in 1998 or 1999!
>
> My other half wants me to buy a new case with motherboard and power
> supply already installed, and get a new processor, and then transfer the
> rest of my bits across, but I want to pay off the DS first:-)
>
> If I can get XP to run on it as it is while I'm reducing the outstanding
> balance on my credit card, then I'd prefer to get XP to run on it as it
> is, particularly if my dentist decides I need a crown on Tuesday...
>
> Helen
>
> Helen Edith Stephenson <helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk>
> --
> (I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
> http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk

You might try to find a copy of W2k to install. It should work without
problems.
--
Petros
Ap' ola prin ipirche o Logos

In article <MPG.1c4a960bfd14f0989b84@news.individual.de>, Petros
<retepetiuqton@safenet.pl> writes
>Helen Edith Stephenson posted:
>> In article <crpk40$ttl@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
>> writes

[snip]
>> >I don't know what kind of PC your still using with Win98, but you may
>> >need to take a hard and honest look at upgrading the PC itself, as WinXP
>> >doesn't play nice with under-powered CPUs.
>>
>> It's a Pentium III. Can't remember if it's 500MHz or 550MHz. It seemed a
>> lot at the time when I bought it back in 1998 or 1999!
>>
>> My other half wants me to buy a new case with motherboard and power
>> supply already installed, and get a new processor, and then transfer the
>> rest of my bits across, but I want to pay off the DS first:-)
>>
>> If I can get XP to run on it as it is while I'm reducing the outstanding
>> balance on my credit card, then I'd prefer to get XP to run on it as it
>> is, particularly if my dentist decides I need a crown on Tuesday...
>>
>> Helen
>>
>You might try to find a copy of W2k to install. It should work without
>problems.

Good thought. I use W2K at work, so I feel comfortable with that. My
other half uses XP, but he upgraded his PC about the time he put XP on
and has a faster processor than I do. I've got 512MB of RAM, though.

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson <helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk>
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:27:42 PM

In article <SKadnRgvHNr16n3cRVn-rQ@rogers.com>, Darrell <no@spam.here>
writes

>"Helen Edith Stephenson" <helen@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Pentax say on the box that the Windows system requirement is Windows
>> ME/2000/XP and they're not kidding. I'd hoped that the limitation was
>> something to do with requiring USB 2.0 support for uploading images,
>> which I didn't care about as I've got a USB card reader which is quite
>> happy to read my Secure Digital card.
>>
>> However, the software with the *ist DS (including the software for
>> processing RAW images) requires some methods in Share32.dll which simply
>> don't exist in Win98. My other half says it would be a mistake to copy
>> Share32.dll from WinME or WinXP and overwrite my Win98 version...
>>
>I am using Pentax Photo Browser, and Pentax Photo Laboratory in Win 98SE, I
>also have the Pentax plug-in for Photoshop. ThumbsPlus (Cerious Software)
>has aRAW plug-in that works for Thumbs Plus.

Interesting. I thought my Win98 was 98SE, but it definitely doesn't run
for me due to the missing method(s) in Share32.dll - maybe I should go
searching the Microsoft site to see whether there's anything on there
about Share32.dll upgrades.

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson <helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk>
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:53:50 PM

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 09:25:19 +0000, Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:

> In article <MPG.1c4a960bfd14f0989b84@news.individual.de>, Petros
> <retepetiuqton@safenet.pl> writes
>>Helen Edith Stephenson posted:
>>> In article <crpk40$ttl@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
>>> writes

> [snip]
>>>
>>> It's a Pentium III. Can't remember if it's 500MHz or 550MHz. It seemed a
>>> lot at the time when I bought it back in 1998 or 1999!
>>>
>>> My other half wants me to buy a new case with motherboard and power
>>> supply already installed, and get a new processor, and then transfer the
>>> rest of my bits across, but I want to pay off the DS first:-)
>>>
>>> If I can get XP to run on it as it is while I'm reducing the outstanding
>>> balance on my credit card, then I'd prefer to get XP to run on it as it
>>> is, particularly if my dentist decides I need a crown on Tuesday...
>>>
>>> Helen
>>>
>>You might try to find a copy of W2k to install. It should work without
>>problems.
>
> Good thought. I use W2K at work, so I feel comfortable with that. My
> other half uses XP, but he upgraded his PC about the time he put XP on
> and has a faster processor than I do. I've got 512MB of RAM, though.

I used W2k for years at work but I resisted using it at home for image
processing. After we upgraded to XP at work I also upgraded from 98 to XP on
my home PC and wondered why I hadn't done it sooner. Is it *really* worth
the hassle of jumping through hoops to install a "new" five year old OS?

--
John Bean

There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home (Ken
Olsen, DEC, 1977)
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 8:56:08 PM

:>
:
: It's a Pentium III. Can't remember if it's 500MHz or 550MHz. It seemed a
: lot at the time when I bought it back in 1998 or 1999!

If you have enough RAM (256megs, I'd recommend as a bare minimum), that's
enough power to get XP running comfortably.

I have Win2K Pro running on 3 different systems here at my house with PII
450s. But each machine has 384 megs or more of RAM. Not super-powered,
but they get the job done without a lot of fuss.

-Charles

--
Charles Robinson
Minneapolis, MN

In article <41e17038$0$52019$a1866201@visi.com>, Charles Robinson
<charlesr@visi.com> writes
>Helen Edith Stephenson <helen@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>:>
>:>I don't know what kind of PC your still using with Win98, but you may
>:>need to take a hard and honest look at upgrading the PC itself, as WinXP
>:>doesn't play nice with under-powered CPUs.
>:
>: It's a Pentium III. Can't remember if it's 500MHz or 550MHz. It seemed a
>: lot at the time when I bought it back in 1998 or 1999!
>
>If you have enough RAM (256megs, I'd recommend as a bare minimum), that's
>enough power to get XP running comfortably.

I've got 512MB RAM. I think. It could be more. I did a big RAM update a
while ago.

>I have Win2K Pro running on 3 different systems here at my house with PII
>450s. But each machine has 384 megs or more of RAM. Not super-powered,
>but they get the job done without a lot of fuss.
>
> -Charles

While a PC gets the job done, there's no point in upgrading it further.
I'm a great believer in "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

However, I've clearly reached a point at which there is a clear benefit
to an upgrade.

I might solve the problem of my parallel flatbed scanner by reattaching
it to my old Win95 PC. Everything else should be capable of running
under XP if I do the work and find the drivers.

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson <helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk>
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.baronmoss.demon.co.uk
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 10:45:00 PM

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 18:12:32 +0000, Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:

> In article <41e17038$0$52019$a1866201@visi.com>, Charles Robinson
> <charlesr@visi.com> writes
>>Helen Edith Stephenson <helen@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>:>
>>:>I don't know what kind of PC your still using with Win98, but you may
>>:>need to take a hard and honest look at upgrading the PC itself, as WinXP
>>:>doesn't play nice with under-powered CPUs.
>>:
>>: It's a Pentium III. Can't remember if it's 500MHz or 550MHz. It seemed a
>>: lot at the time when I bought it back in 1998 or 1999!
>>
>>If you have enough RAM (256megs, I'd recommend as a bare minimum), that's
>>enough power to get XP running comfortably.
>
> I've got 512MB RAM. I think. It could be more. I did a big RAM update a
> while ago.
>
>>I have Win2K Pro running on 3 different systems here at my house with PII
>>450s. But each machine has 384 megs or more of RAM. Not super-powered,
>>but they get the job done without a lot of fuss.
>>
>> -Charles
>
> While a PC gets the job done, there's no point in upgrading it further.
> I'm a great believer in "if it aint broke, don't fix it".
>
> However, I've clearly reached a point at which there is a clear benefit
> to an upgrade.
>
> I might solve the problem of my parallel flatbed scanner by reattaching
> it to my old Win95 PC. Everything else should be capable of running
> under XP if I do the work and find the drivers.

There are very few devices that don't work under XP. Many of my bits and
pieces that needed various drivers under previous Windows versions simply
worked automagically under XP. XP also does an astonishingly good job of
"upgrading" your existing system, keeping all the important stuff intact
without having to go through the agonies of having to reinstall from
scratch.

--
John Bean

The computer is a moron (Peter Drucker)
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 11:31:58 PM

In article <SKadnRgvHNr16n3cRVn-rQ@rogers.com>, Darrell <no@spam.here> wrote:

>I am using Pentax Photo Browser, and Pentax Photo Laboratory in Win 98SE ...

The old versions from the *ist-D, or the new *ist-DS ones?
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:41:24 AM

In article <YDim9lAg1F4BFwMg@baronmoss.demon.co.uk>,
Helen Edith Stephenson <helen@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <crpk40$ttl@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
>writes
>>Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:
>>
>>> In article <brvdvqu5cdt$.dlg@waterfoot.net>, John Bean
>>> <waterfoot@gmail.com> writes

[ ... ]

Wonderful. I did not know about this until now. I just
downloaded it and successfully compiled and ran it on both a Sun
(running Solaris 2.8) and an Intel box (running OpenBSD 3.5).

*And* -- it not only handles the RAW image (.NEF) from the
Nikon D70, but it also handles the images out of the older Nikon N90s
bodies converted to digital by Kodak for the AP (NC2000e/c). That one
put out a RAW file wrapped in a TIFF wrapper, and I *had* to use Windows
(or a Mac) with a special plugin from Kodak for Photoshop elements.

>>> It's looking increasingly likely that an upgrade to WinXP may become
>>> inevitable. If I can put it off for a bit longer, I'd like to, but if I
>>> want to shoot RAW images, I think this PC is going to require an
>>> upgrade.
>>>
>>> Helen
>>

>>I don't know what kind of PC your still using with Win98, but you may
>>need to take a hard and honest look at upgrading the PC itself, as WinXP
>>doesn't play nice with under-powered CPUs.
>
>It's a Pentium III. Can't remember if it's 500MHz or 550MHz. It seemed a
>lot at the time when I bought it back in 1998 or 1999!

Hmm ... Run OpenBSD or linux on that box, and it will scream.
It is Windows which slows down boxen -- and more so with every
"upgrade", which forces you to get faster hardware to keep up with its
requirements.

I've run a recent version of OpenBSD on a 33 MHz box, and while
not a screamer, it was not sluggish by any means.

>My other half wants me to buy a new case with motherboard and power
>supply already installed, and get a new processor, and then transfer the
>rest of my bits across, but I want to pay off the DS first:-)

Can you live without other Windows programs? If so, there are
excellent programs for OpenBSD, linux, or other similar machines which
will still use the old hardware and run faster. Now that I have dcraw
compiled and installed, the only thing that I need Windows for is the
annual income tax torture.

Most of these unix-flavored OSes are free for the download, or
very inexpensive for a bootable CD-ROM of the distribution (probably
better to have the CD-ROM version for a first time install, anyway, and
unless you have a very fast net connection, you probably don't want to
be downloading most of two CD-ROMs worth of stuff. There are actually
three CD-ROMs in the set, with the second one being bootable on some
Macs. The first is bootable on Intel boxen, and the third bootable on
Sun SPARC machines. Taht third one also has lots of the pre-compiled
packages on it.

>If I can get XP to run on it as it is while I'm reducing the outstanding
>balance on my credit card, then I'd prefer to get XP to run on it as it
>is, particularly if my dentist decides I need a crown on Tuesday...

To run OpenBSD (or the others) all you need is a new disk drive
(so you can keep your Windows ready to run if you need it), and to set
up the machine as dual boot, or with pluggable housings for the two
disks.

One of the extra benefits of these other OSs is that they aren't
the targets of virii (Windows is such an easy target, after all). For
the best of security, my personal preference is OpenBSD.

When it comes time to move up to newer hardware (whenever that
happens) you can then turn the old OpenBSD box into an excellent
firewall to hide your Windows box behind.

But -- if you have no experience with unix of any flavor, you
will have a learning curve ahead of you -- one reason to want the
dual-boot capability for a while. Ideally, you want someone nearby who
can help you get the system going the first time around, including
installing the X11 package and a window manager (Gnome is one, KDM is
another, and there are lots of other choices. Some have more of a
Windows feel to them than others.)

Good Luck,
DoN.
January 10, 2005 3:39:41 AM

"John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <SKadnRgvHNr16n3cRVn-rQ@rogers.com>, Darrell <no@spam.here>
wrote:

> >I am using Pentax Photo Browser, and Pentax Photo Laboratory in Win 98SE
>
> The old versions from the *ist-D, or the new *ist-DS ones?

I downloaded the current ones from Pentax Canada. I use the * ist D.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 6:16:28 AM

In article <FK-dndkb5vUuiH_cRVn-gA@rogers.com>, Darrell <no@spam.here> wrote:

>"John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
>> In article <SKadnRgvHNr16n3cRVn-rQ@rogers.com>, Darrell <no@spam.here>
>wrote:
>> >
>> >I am using Pentax Photo Browser, and Pentax Photo Laboratory in Win 98SE
>>
>> The old versions from the *ist-D, or the new *ist-DS ones?
>>
>I downloaded the current ones from Pentax Canada. I use the * ist D.

What version is that? I hadn't heard of PPL V2.0 being available for download,
and the only ones I can see on pentax.ca are the V1.1 release, which isn't any
use to the original poster (who, as the thread title suggests, has a *ist-DS).
!