New gaming PC - Need advice

thomas404

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I'm buying a new computer, mainly for gaming, and I was wondering whether or not this is a good rig:

AMD FX 4100 Quad Core 4x3,6GHz
Asus Motherboard
1TB HDD
8GB DDR3 (1333 MHz)
Grafik GeForce GTX560Ti (1024MB DDR5-VGA-DVI-HDMI-DirectX 11)
Windows7 Home Premium 64Bit

I'm not looking for anything too expensive as I don't mind running games on low-medium settings. Also, I have a choice between GeForce GTX560Ti or the GTX650 but I've heard the 560Ti is better, is this true?
If you have any advice on other parts or PC's it would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

socialfox

Distinguished
Yes the GTX 560 TI is much better than the GTX 650, even the GTX 550ti is better than the GTX 650. I would say its a good build, 8gb of ram is more than enough for gaming, Asus is a reliable motherboard brand, a GTX560ti is a very good card for medium-high settings on games given a decent resolution like 1600x900. If you would like to increase windows boot time and game loading screens then you should try a SSD, it won't increase FPS in games but it will load your games much faster and you can read/write with extremely fast speeds compared to your traditional hard drive. The only drawback of an SSD is its lifespan is much less than a traditional hard drive, which is sped up if you repeatedly move things around on the SSD and install and uninstall things.

My only issue is that the FX 4100 is not too much of a gaming CPU if you dont intend to overclock it at all. The Phenom X4 955 Black edition which can be bought for less leaves it in the dust for gaming. If I recall, the FX series are (only) very good in rendering. That being said the Phenom X4 955 BE is a bit hard to find these days but it can be bought at Tigerdirect.com still for 70-90 dollars.

All in all, its a pretty good build that can game well if you overclock the CPU, also do you know the brand of the hard drive? Certain brands aren't so good compared to others.

- Socialfox :)

corvetteguy1994

Distinguished

get one of amds new apu's or get a phenom ii x4.....

thomas404

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Hey :)
Thanks for the reply.
The FX 4100 was the only CPU I could find on Amazon which was within my £550 ($800 - 900) budget. The only other CPU's were Intel i3, i5 and i7. People said that they overclocked the FX4100 to 4.0GHz, but I don't know how to do it, but I guess it could easily be googled'. I may eventually buy the X4 955 BE in the future. The store page doesn't state the brand of the hard drive.
If I was to overclock the CPU how much of a difference would it make?

socialfox

Distinguished
Well depends on the overclock, overclocking that CPU will close the gap between the FX-4100 and the quad cores. So overclocking does have a big impact. Anyways with overclocking comes increasing temperatures so make sure you buy a real good cooler, if you are limited in money then go for a Hyper 212 Plus/Evo. If not then get a Noctua DH-14. Also, in general Intel CPUs are better than AMD CPUs in terms of gaming.

corvetteguy1994

Distinguished

it will help considerably but the architecture of bulldozer is not that great. but if you go bulldozer get the 6 core atleast.

thomas404

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Well I might overclock it then as the fans aren't too expensive, but if I was to get a PC with an Intel i5 2400 Quad Core 4x3.1GHz CPU but with a GTX 650 graphics card instead, would it be better then the FX4100 build ?

socialfox

Distinguished
The processor will be much better but the GTX 650 is a bit slow, for the same price or maybe 5-10 more dollars you can get the GTX 550ti. SO the intel build is a better choice though the video card is a bit weak but with the GTX 550ti it will be better.

thomas404

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

Okay. Thanks, you've been a big help :)