Sign in with
Your question

Best wireless router for gaming

Last response: in Networking
October 17, 2011 9:38:27 AM

Hey everyone,
Our router has just died it was a D-LINK DSL-G604T 11/22/54Mbps Wireless ADSL2 Router access point with 4Port 10/100Mbps Switch w/VPN DMZ &Virtual Server.
So I am in need of a new one, It must have wireless (802.11g) for the other household users but I will be directly connected. I am looking for a router which will be suited best for UDP based gaming such as Call of Duty 4. I would prefer a solid connection with lower ping over a router which allows maximum speed. Essentially I am looking for a router that will give me the best connection to the server so my registration is awesome.
If its not too much of a hassle I would prefer if you could recommend a router from this website. http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=c&p=modems

My price range is roughly $150
I was thinking about going with one of the three TP-Link ones
Cheers

More about : wireless router gaming

October 17, 2011 2:22:26 PM

from my experience not every DSL modem will work with your ISP; therefore, either get a list of device your ISP uses or confirm with your ISP that the modem you are planning to buy will work with their System
m
l
October 17, 2011 7:47:34 PM

Wow, those are some REALLY expensive prices for a router. They also do not have most of the good routers i could suggest as far as model numbers from here in the USA.
Such as the Linksys E1200 or E4200, Netgear N600, or D-Link Xtreme N.

Also like above DO NOT get a router and modem in one without first checking with your ISP because only certain models will work. With just the router any model should work. Plus pretty much any wireless N router you buy is capable of also doing both B & G as well as N.

m
l
Related resources
October 17, 2011 10:30:17 PM

Yea most likely I will be getting a router and modem in one. I will check with my isp first then just to be sure.
That website I directed you too is the most reliable and cheapest place here in New Zealand. This is currently what I think I will be going for.
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MODTPL8901&name...
What do you guys think?
m
l
October 18, 2011 2:07:46 PM

Read some reviews and most say it is good for the money but you will have to do a bit of work setting it up. It will not be just a simple plug in and go sort of thing. They also stated to stay away from the quick start wizard as it leaves too many things that should be set up, not set up.

m
l
October 19, 2011 1:21:04 AM

Thanks for the advice I did end up going with a tp-link.
m
l
!