Windows 7 eating all memory

pdube

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hello,

I am running Windows 7 64bit. From time to time (every few days), I get something eating all my available memory (going from 2 GB to 12 GB in a few minutes). I cannot pinpoint the process doing this. And then 20 minutes later the memory goes back to normal. I noticed that the second process eating the most memory (svchost.exe (secsvcs)) is gone right after that. Anybody experienced something like this?
How can I find out what is doing that?

TaskManager.png

Processes.png

Memory.png

Memory2.png

pdube

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

No virus. Fully checked...
But seriously that cannot be normal...

I've had this computer for 1 year now, and it's been doing that since the last few weeks.

its normal for windows to use it all for cache its not normal to use it all like that. looking for whatever's taking 4 gigs of ram all of a sudden shouldn't be hard. I notice you are running sidebar are you using any gadgets? its technically not supported in windows 7 and prone to memory leaks. I've had it bloat out of control with the avast gadget it installed. to where it too up several gigs.

pdube

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

The only gadget I have installed is a clock (default gadget clock in Win 7). I have Avast installed but not using the gadget.
I just uninstalled xvid4psp that I had installed a few weeks ago. I'll see if it changes anything.

pdube

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I can't find the source of the RAM leak. How would you trace it? Look at the third image I posted in my initial message. You can see the most memory hungry processes but nothing that eats Gigs of RAM...

Well, if its svchost.exe, that would be an indication that a windows service is eating up a ton of RAM in the background. Might want to take a look at the running services and figure out if something is there that would do that...[Might be an automatic utility, like a defragger or something...]