Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 eating all memory

Last response: in Windows 7
February 18, 2012 7:09:08 PM

Hello,

I am running Windows 7 64bit. From time to time (every few days), I get something eating all my available memory (going from 2 GB to 12 GB in a few minutes). I cannot pinpoint the process doing this. And then 20 minutes later the memory goes back to normal. I noticed that the second process eating the most memory (svchost.exe (secsvcs)) is gone right after that. Anybody experienced something like this?
How can I find out what is doing that?

More about : windows eating memory

a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2012 7:14:27 PM

Hi :) 

Windows uses various amounts of ram at different times....dont worry about it...its normal...

Unless you have a virus lol :) 

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
February 18, 2012 7:16:59 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Windows uses various amounts of ram at different times....dont worry about it...its normal...

Unless you have a virus lol :) 

All the best Brett :) 

No virus. Fully checked...
But seriously that cannot be normal...

I've had this computer for 1 year now, and it's been doing that since the last few weeks.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b } Memory
February 18, 2012 7:28:22 PM

its normal for windows to use it all for cache its not normal to use it all like that. looking for whatever's taking 4 gigs of ram all of a sudden shouldn't be hard. I notice you are running sidebar are you using any gadgets? its technically not supported in windows 7 and prone to memory leaks. I've had it bloat out of control with the avast gadget it installed. to where it too up several gigs.
m
l
February 18, 2012 7:46:42 PM

unksol said:
its normal for windows to use it all for cache its not normal to use it all like that. looking for whatever's taking 4 gigs of ram all of a sudden shouldn't be hard. I notice you are running sidebar are you using any gadgets? its technically not supported in windows 7 and prone to memory leaks. I've had it bloat out of control with the avast gadget it installed. to where it too up several gigs.

The only gadget I have installed is a clock (default gadget clock in Win 7). I have Avast installed but not using the gadget.
I just uninstalled xvid4psp that I had installed a few weeks ago. I'll see if it changes anything.
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:49:35 PM

I'm still having the same problem even after uninstalling xvid4psp.
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:51:45 PM

unksol said:

I can't find the source of the RAM leak. How would you trace it? Look at the third image I posted in my initial message. You can see the most memory hungry processes but nothing that eats Gigs of RAM...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2012 11:26:14 AM

Well, if its svchost.exe, that would be an indication that a windows service is eating up a ton of RAM in the background. Might want to take a look at the running services and figure out if something is there that would do that...[Might be an automatic utility, like a defragger or something...]
m
l
!