GPU HDMI Output

Ubez

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Hey guys

I just tried connecting my 32'' LG TV to my PC through HDMI and found that the bottom and right corners of the image were cut off by about an inch. I set my TV to "Just Scan", overscan in the NVIDIA control panel and also tried resizing it.

The thing is, when i resized it the image was still cut with black all around it, as if the edges of the screen weren't hiding anything but the signal was coming in like that, which makes me think that the problem is with my video card.

I have a GeForce GTX 550 Ti and my TV is an LG 32LH20.

If anyone has an idea of what the problem might be I'd appreciate the help.

either set the TV to "Just Scan" OR the nVidia settings to Overscan, doing both will do exactly what you just told it to.

Setting the TV to 'Just Scan' tells it to turn off Overscan (something that should technically be turned off on HDMI in the first place... but sometimes isn't). Overscan is a holdover from old-school TV where the edges of the camera were not standardized, and often extra information (like audio or subtitles) would show up as jibberish on the bottom edge of the screen. To 'fix' this Overscan was used to basically trim off the outer 10% of the image to get rid of all that 'junk' information.

Turning overscan 'on' on the computer then adds 10% of black space allong the edge of the image so that TVs that only have overscan can display the image properly. This should only be used on older analogue TVs and connectors, not digital signals such as HDMI.

Ubez

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
The TV is 720p, and that's the auto resolution my PC sets. My drivers are up to date.

Caeden, what you said made a lot of sense, but here's what happens: without any changes, that is 16:9 aspect ratio and no resizing on the PC, some of the image is lost. When I either set the TV to "Just Scan" or resize it (with or without overscan) I get some more of the image but still not all. When I do both of them, nothing changes compared to when I do just one.

I thought it might be the cable, a mini-HDMI to HDMI, but I don't have a spare one to test. I did try the two HDMI inputs on my TV, but it's the same on either one.