Sign in with
Your question

PSU Problem?

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2012 12:13:20 AM

For some reason, my computer recently started turning off a minute after booting up no matter which screen I'm on. My computer is only a few months old so I hope nothing too serious is wrong.

Comp Specs: AMD FX-8150, 2x AMD Radeon 7770 1GB, Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3, Thermaltake SP-750M 750W, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, 2x GSkill 4GB DDR3, Thermaltake SP-750M 750W 80Plus Bronze Power Supply, Windows 7 Home Premium

More about : psu problem

October 28, 2012 4:43:38 AM

Well, you can test your PSU's voltages to be sure whether it's truly your PSU failing or not. Either purchase a PSU Tester for around $20, or if you have a voltmeter/multimeter, you can manually test the rails that way.

Just be careful when dealing with electricity. The PSU can deliver a nasty (and possibly fatal) shock if you're not careful.

Try not to rely on software to measure the voltages too, because each different software tells you different readings, even the BIOS. A physical voltage test is always the best way to be sure.
m
l
October 28, 2012 4:49:45 AM

If you boot up into the BIOS setup screen and let it sit, will it still shut down?

After it turns off, can you immediately try and turn it on again and it will do the same thing?

I assume since you said it's only a few months odd, it was working perfectly during that time. Did anything recently change in the configuration? Hardware added, something plugged into a USB port? I had bad USB device once that caused my PC to restart every time I plugged it in.
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2012 6:44:08 PM

jay2tall said:
If you boot up into the BIOS setup screen and let it sit, will it still shut down?

After it turns off, can you immediately try and turn it on again and it will do the same thing?

I assume since you said it's only a few months odd, it was working perfectly during that time. Did anything recently change in the configuration? Hardware added, something plugged into a USB port? I had bad USB device once that caused my PC to restart every time I plugged it in.

No, I just restarted my computer and it started to freeze on the "starting windows" area. After a few more tries it just started shutting off after a minute.
m
l
October 28, 2012 7:05:23 PM

you could try and start into Safe Mode and see if you get the same result. Hit F8 when it passes the BIOS screen and you will get to a windows boot option screen where you can select SAFE MODE. Try booting to this. If the issue does not happen here, it may be a Windows OS issue. A reinstall or OS repair may be in order. Personally I would opt for a reinstall. In safe mode you could safe off any data.
m
l
October 28, 2012 11:27:20 PM

jay2tall said:
you could try and start into Safe Mode and see if you get the same result. Hit F8 when it passes the BIOS screen and you will get to a windows boot option screen where you can select SAFE MODE. Try booting to this. If the issue does not happen here, it may be a Windows OS issue. A reinstall or OS repair may be in order. Personally I would opt for a reinstall. In safe mode you could safe off any data.

Still happened. It shutoff while loading safe mode.
m
l
October 29, 2012 12:10:41 AM

What if you leave it at the select screen and not boot into windows. I am wondering if it is a windows fault or other system or hardware fault.
m
l
October 29, 2012 1:03:52 AM

jay2tall said:
What if you leave it at the select screen and not boot into windows. I am wondering if it is a windows fault or other system or hardware fault.

I left it on the boot menu for a minute and it still shut down.
m
l
October 29, 2012 2:40:59 AM

That DEFINITELY sounds like a PSU issue. Are you able to acquire another known-good PSU somehow? Try installing that one into your system and see if the problem persists. Otherwise, like I said, a PSU voltage test, either manually or with a PSU Tester, will tell if your PSU is indeed failing.
m
l
October 29, 2012 2:42:34 AM

Oh and make sure the alternative PSU is able to satisfy your system's power requirements. Check the Watt rating.
m
l
October 29, 2012 4:22:11 AM

Mike332 said:
That DEFINITELY sounds like a PSU issue. Are you able to acquire another known-good PSU somehow? Try installing that one into your system and see if the problem persists. Otherwise, like I said, a PSU voltage test, either manually or with a PSU Tester, will tell if your PSU is indeed failing.

Damn, maybe I should attempt to get the part replaced. Is there a way to check the power in the BIOS (even if inaccurate)?
m
l
October 30, 2012 2:09:18 AM

There may be. I can't be positive whether your BIOS has that tool as all BIOSs are different. But I STRONGLY encourage you to just use a voltmeter and manually test your 24-pin connectors. I just tested mine last night and found the voltages high by 0.1 V but still good and stable.

This link will assist you in testing the PSU with a voltmeter.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/f/powersu...

But as I said, practice common sense when doing this since you'll be working closely with high voltages. It really isn't that hard at all.
m
l
!