What format fo save NEF files from APE3

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 9, 2005 1:50:46 PM

Thanks to this forum I am able to load NEF files from my Nikon D70
into Adobe Photohop Elements 3 and see the main adjustment screen with
histograms and all the other goodies. I love the Digital Darkroom
approach! Since APE3 can't save in NEF format, I have to choose
between Photoshop, JPEG 2000, TIFF or PNG. There are also three
photoshop formats: Regular, PDF and Raw. I was hirrified at the size
of the regular photoshop format 25GB+, and decided to save in JPEG 200
25% quality. Is Phtotoshop RAW format better? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance/Anker
January 9, 2005 1:50:47 PM

I would save it in TIFF, or Adobe PSD. The reason is Adobe PSD
preserves all your layers which you may want to edit at a later time and
is an uncompressed format. JPEG is a compressed format, that loses
information. This is how it saves smaller files.

JR

In article <k2k2u091a1p3t5rg4guu78lqc9oqd6ts9h@4ax.com>,
Anker Berg-Sonne <anker@ankersoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks to this forum I am able to load NEF files from my Nikon D70
> into Adobe Photohop Elements 3 and see the main adjustment screen with
> histograms and all the other goodies. I love the Digital Darkroom
> approach! Since APE3 can't save in NEF format, I have to choose
> between Photoshop, JPEG 2000, TIFF or PNG. There are also three
> photoshop formats: Regular, PDF and Raw. I was hirrified at the size
> of the regular photoshop format 25GB+, and decided to save in JPEG 200
> 25% quality. Is Phtotoshop RAW format better? Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks in advance/Anker
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 4:11:36 PM

Thanks for all the input. The tradeoffs are so significant that it
looks to me like I need to decide on a shot-by-shot basis whether I am
taking a snapshot or a carefully planned photograph that I intend to
optimize.

For snapshots I'll use P, S, M, or A modes with Normal, Large JPEG
processing in the camera, and for "real" photography I'll use P, S, M,
or A in RAW mode and copy with the large NEF and PSD files. I
fortunately have a 320 GB partition and will back up to DVDs.

I plan to avoid Auto and the rest of the modes. I really hate the
camera deciding whether to use flash or not.

Thanks again/Anker
January 9, 2005 5:42:21 PM

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 10:50:46 -0500, Anker Berg-Sonne
<anker@ankersoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks to this forum I am able to load NEF files from my Nikon D70
>into Adobe Photohop Elements 3 and see the main adjustment screen with
>histograms and all the other goodies. I love the Digital Darkroom
>approach! Since APE3 can't save in NEF format, I have to choose
>between Photoshop, JPEG 2000, TIFF or PNG.

You can't overwrite camera RAW files in any app afaik, this is the raw
data from the sensor with added algorythms for white balance sharpness
and other paremeters depending on your camera and/or raw converter.
If you make changes in the Elements 3 converter these will stick to
the NEF file if it is subsequently opened in Elements again, I think,
it does in PS CS.

For saving to a readable image file format my choice would be TIFF
since it's the most universal of the three you stated and can be read
by most image applications. Using PSD will preserve certain
PS/Elements proprietary features such as layers.

Ron

Ron Lacey
Murillo Ontario
ron@ronsfotos.com
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 6:18:57 PM

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 14:42:21 -0500, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Ron
Lacey <ron@ronstoons.com> wrote:

>You can't overwrite camera RAW files in any app afaik,

Oh don't be so sure about that. Nikon Editor as part of Nikon View will
allow this as well as Picture Project also supplied with certain Nikon
cameras. I've been bit by this at least once and had to use recovery
software on the CF card to get the original back.

See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
January 9, 2005 7:17:23 PM

On 9 Jan 2005 13:11:36 -0800, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems "Anker"
<anker@ankersoft.com> wrote:

>I plan to avoid Auto and the rest of the modes. I really hate the
>camera deciding whether to use flash or not.

Worse than that, Auto applies a whole bunch of image dependent adjustments,
brightness, contrast, saturation, sharpening, etc. So you have no idea what
to expect.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
January 9, 2005 8:17:12 PM

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:18:57 -0500, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
wrote:

>Oh don't be so sure about that. Nikon Editor as part of Nikon View will
>allow this as well as Picture Project also supplied with certain Nikon
>cameras. I've been bit by this at least once and had to use recovery
>software on the CF card to get the original back.

What the Nikon software does when working on NEF files is save an
instruction set, or a set of commands for the file. It doesn't
actually change the NEF itself.
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 8:29:11 PM

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 17:17:12 -0600, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems McLeod
<cerdeza@xplornet.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 15:18:57 -0500, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Oh don't be so sure about that. Nikon Editor as part of Nikon View will
>>allow this as well as Picture Project also supplied with certain Nikon
>>cameras. I've been bit by this at least once and had to use recovery
>>software on the CF card to get the original back.
>
>What the Nikon software does when working on NEF files is save an
>instruction set, or a set of commands for the file. It doesn't
>actually change the NEF itself.

Ok, that's a step in the right direction. How does one then get back to the
original? In my case I cropped and image. How do I get back to the original
full image?
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
January 9, 2005 9:22:40 PM

You have to decide if you want photographs or snapshots.
If you want to advance your digital darkroom technique you need to learn
about file formats, using Photoshop layers and color management.
If you gag at 25mb images then there is no point in learning digital
darkroom techniques.
D70 images saved as tiff or psd format will be in the 18-50mb size depending
on how many layers you create and what type of layers. The psd format is
best as it preserves your working layers. If layers are used properly the
original image is untouched at the bottom of the stack. You can also save
the NEF or jpeg file as it came out of the camera with no further
adjustments.
It may be heresy but I believe beginners are best served by using the fine
jpeg settings in the camera and learning to use Photoshop on them before
working with raw files.
I presume you have a CD burner on your computer: you can off-load images and
restore room on your hard drive.
Epson has an online course that is a very good introduction to Photoshop,
layers and color management with video presentations of how things are done.
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 10:32:18 PM

wrote:

>>You can't overwrite camera RAW files in any app afaik,
>
>Oh don't be so sure about that. Nikon Editor as part of Nikon View will
>allow this as well as Picture Project also supplied with certain Nikon
>cameras. I've been bit by this at least once and had to use recovery
>software on the CF card to get the original back.

You're not overwriting the RAW sensor data only the intructions for
importing, these can be non destructively changed after the fact but
the actual data remains the same.

Ron

Ron Lacey
Murillo Ontario