Do I need a product key, or can I run W7 without it

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRom_246

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
I installed windows 7 Ultimate with out a product key, I just never entered one when it asked me to input one and installation went fine! Do I need to purchase one and go back and enter it or can I run W7 fine with out it? Its been running fine for about 24 hours now.

Also I installed Microsoft Office and when I added the Excel Shortcut to the desktop the icon doesnt come up properly? It doesnt show the Excel Logo Icon, it has like a corrupt file icon. But when i double click it, it opens Excel without a problem?

Solution

It will nag you for a while and then if you dont put a valid key in - it will block many features from working.... so in summary... you need a key.

come back when you got a valid win7 install and we will see about the...

kevin83

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
i think Windows will work for 30 days without a product key then you will be locked out of installing or updating software, and the background will go black when you startup to signify the machine is on lockdown until you enter a key.

It will nag you for a while and then if you dont put a valid key in - it will block many features from working.... so in summary... you need a key.

come back when you got a valid win7 install and we will see about the icons... seems a bit of a waste of time atm in view of your situation.

Cheers

Solution

JRom_246

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Damn I was hoping not to get that annoying black background and stupid message saying, 'this windows is not authentic' or whatever lol
I will stick it out the 30 days and see what happens I can get a Key from my uncle I just hate asking him for stuff lol but if i have to i will

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP 'kevin83' & 'Yoji'

windows 7 will not install without a product key. therefore you are using pirated software, which is insecure and probably why your icons are trashed. the lockdown bit applies to activating it, the product key is still required to install it. "getting a product key.from your uncle" wont solve your problem. and if he doesn't have a spare license is still illegal

JRom_246

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
My uncle is a computer programmer who has an agreement with Microsoft, HE PAYS THEM FOR WINDOWS, he puts Windows software on his clients PCs he has unlimited supply of Product Keys! IT will Definitely solve the problem LMFAO

PMentior

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

This is just wrong. I have 2 Windows 7 install disks that will let me install without entering a key. If you leave the box blank it will tell you that "you have 30 days to enter a key" and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.