Sign in with
Your question

New build start up temporary XP operating system

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2012 12:35:38 AM

Hi, Just finished up a new build. Have been waiting on the Windows 8 release hoping on a price drop on Windows 7.?

Anyway, can I install XP now for a burn in period and testing and then reformat the drive when I get my 7 disc? Any negatives to this?

I know the XP will only use 4GB of memory, but will it SEE the other 4GB?

Thanks.

October 28, 2012 12:56:15 AM

Well if you have a valid key for XP you could get the Windows 8 upgrade for $39.99 that would be your best bet. I do not see any reason Microsoft will lower the price of Windows 7 any time soon. On top of that Windows 8 really is a better OS faster startup shutdown faster app and game loading better fps in games there is really a lot to like. I am not sure what you mean by a burn in period and testing? Microsoft does not have a trial period for Windows XP never did. The 30 days to activate is not a trial period. If that is not what you mean please do not take offense just not sure what you were meaning.
m
l
October 28, 2012 12:56:25 AM

As long as there are XP drivers available for all your devices, it should work. At some level XP might see the memory though it won't be reported on the system properties page. I believe I've heard of some RAMdisk software which is capable of using the unaddressed space in a 32-bit OS though I don't recall which of the RAMdisk utilities out there does this. Otherwise the extra RAM won't be of any use.

I'd say having to look at that XP interface is a negative, but since XP is still widely used software compatibility should still be good.
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2012 1:17:09 AM

bryonhowley said:
Well if you have a valid key for XP you could get the Windows 8 upgrade for $39.99 that would be your best bet. I do not see any reason Microsoft will lower the price of Windows 7 any time soon. On top of that Windows 8 really is a better OS faster startup shutdown faster app and game loading better fps in games there is really a lot to like. I am not sure what you mean by a burn in period and testing? Microsoft does not have a trial period for Windows XP never did. The 30 days to activate is not a trial period. If that is not what you mean please do not take offense just not sure what you were meaning.

Hi Byron,

When I asked about an upgrade at BestBuy, they told me I could only upgrade one level, ie XP-Vista, Vista-7. I have an open volume XP Pro 32 and chose 7 to avoid new OS bugs. This is a Gaming system only (flight simulator) and will not be used for web or aps.

The burn in and testing may have been the wrong wording, I just want to see if the thing works!!!

Thanks!
m
l
October 28, 2012 1:20:53 AM

The BestBuy Guy was incorrect: Microsoft has directly stated that upgrades from as far back as XP are supported. There are restrictions - only in an upgrade from 7 can you retain your existing programs, settings and files - but the upgrade from XP is possible.

However, the online upgrade assistant will automatically select a version that matches the bit length of your existing OS. Since you have XP it will install 32-bit Windows 8. You'd need a box copy containing the 64-bit software to do a fresh install of 8 to use more than 4GB of RAM.
m
l
!