Sign in with
Your question

Sudden Black screens after start up and at random times

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2012 5:43:04 AM

:sweat:  So there I was, enjoying Diablo 3. I turned it off and called it a night.
The next day I turned it on and suddenly while playing the game the screen turned grey and I had to hard reboot my laptop.
I thought it was just a problem with the game since everything else was working well.
But while I was just using the laptop the screen suddenly went black ( I don't remember exactly what I was doing but it didn't involve anything that would use the graphic card so much.)

I tried a LOT of things; I tried the booting in Windows safety mode and booting in low resolution in order to uninstall the display adapter ( my ati radeon hd 6990m) and then to reinstall a new driver ( i tried both 12.6 and the latest 12.8) but it did no work. In fact on now, whenever I try to repeat the process, the the screen turns black during the installation or it says it can't detect the hardware and the I can hear the fan starting to spin greatly.

My system is Windows 7 Ultimate, it's a Metabox P170HM aka Clevo p170hm aka Sager NP8170
the graphic card is ATI Radeon HD 6990M.
I've had black screen issue once before but it was normally fixed quite easily and it didn't crash every time I tried to install a new driver..

Can anyone help me? :( 
Related resources
!