Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GT 610M vs GT 650M

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 1, 2012 5:57:12 AM

I need to pick a laptop for light gaming

Both are almost exactly the same but one of them has a better warranty (2 years instead of 1 year) but it also has a weaker video card. The price is also almost exactly the same.

I was wondering if there is an huge difference between GT 610M and GT 650M. Is it worth getting a weaker video card to double my warranty time ? What would you do if you were in my situation ?


ASUS X75VD-QB51 Intel Core i5 3210 GT 610M 6GB 750GB 17.3in Blu-Ray HDMI WIN7HP Notebook Black (2 years warranty)
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=74569&vpn=X75VD-QB51-...

Acer V3-771G-6675 Intel i5 3210M 8GB 750GB 17.3in DVDRW GeForce GT650M Windows 7 Home 64BIT Notebook (1 year warranty)
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=74274&promoid=1346

More about : 610m 650m

September 1, 2012 6:36:42 AM

The 650M would definitely be better than the 610M for gaming, but my opinions of Acer are far less than that of ASUS, and I suspect the Acer won't be around (working) long enough to enjoy the graphics.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 7:01:43 AM

why ? Acer are known to fail frequently ?
m
0
l
Related resources
September 1, 2012 7:03:24 AM

Well, my Acer laptop from late 2008 is still doing just fine after near constant usage, but that's not to say that they all work that well. I think that Acer has some of the worst reliability problems (still ahead of HP if I remember correctly), but they're still unlikely to have issues, just more likely than others. Lenonvo is among the best if they're an option.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 7:28:14 AM

Yeah well i just bought an Acer laptop a 2 weeks ago. I started using it and the day after the HDD failed. I had to RMA it and they told me it was already discontinued... Maybe i should buy another brand.

Lenovo is good but they don't make laptops with good video card under $800

Toshiba makes a lot of pretty interessing laptop but i had more trust in Acer rather than Toshiba...

Any recommendation for a laptop with a budget of $800 ? Need shipping to canada.

It needs to be 17"

What is more reliable, ASUS or Toshiba ?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 1, 2012 8:13:49 AM

ungovernable said:
Yeah well i just bought an Acer laptop a 2 weeks ago. I started using it and the day after the HDD failed. I had to RMA it and they told me it was already discontinued... Maybe i should buy another brand.

Lenovo is good but they don't make laptops with good video card under $800

Toshiba makes a lot of pretty interessing laptop but i had more trust in Acer rather than Toshiba...

Any recommendation for a laptop with a budget of $800 ? Need shipping to canada.

It needs to be 17"

What is more reliable, ASUS or Toshiba ?


Asus, they have more experience with computer chips, as they manufacture gpus and mobos(and probably hand make the drivers for their computers) compared to Toshiba.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:18:30 AM

Asus doesn't manufacture GPUs. They might manufacture their graphics card PCBs, but they don't make the GPUs for their graphics cards.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:24:13 AM

Ok so according to those studies :
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/fiabilite-asus-toshiba-top...
http://www.rescuecom.com/RESCUECOM269.html

You guys are right, Acer is one of the less reliable brand. I didn't know that so i changed my mind and will not buy an Acer laptop

Asus is #1 and toshiba is just behind

I'm thinking about either buying this Asus laptop (core i5 + nvidia)
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-17-3-lapt...

Or this toshiba A8 + radeon
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

Which one is the best ?
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:24:32 AM

dudewitbow said:
they still have to go through the process in order to make non reference models and change locations of key parts on the PCB to make better cards.(Like top editions)


That doesn't change the fact that they don't make GPUs and that I already acknowledged that they probably manufacture PCBs.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 1, 2012 8:25:28 AM

blazorthon said:
Asus doesn't manufacture GPUs. They might manufacture their graphics card PCBs, but they don't make the GPUs for their graphics cards.



they still have to go through the process in order to make non reference models and change locations of key parts on the PCB to make better cards.(Like top editions)
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:29:14 AM

dudewitbow said:
the PCB is an essential part of the GPU. AMD of course creates the base model which other companies adapt and try to make better. its still their work. By your logic, Apple doesn't make an operating system because OSX is Unix based, which basically is like Linux. There's jsut a base model, others just adapt it and alter it.


You seem to be mistaking GPUs and graphics cards. Although some people refer to graphics cards as GPUs, they do so incorrectly. A GPU is a part of a graphics card, not the entire card. The PCB is a part of the graphics card. It is not a part of the GPU. The GPU is a small chip that is soldered onto the PCB, but is manufactured separately.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:29:26 AM

The i5+GT 610M is a joke for gaming and the A8+Radeon is far better. Whether or not it is ideal, I'm not sure, but it is the better of those two.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 1, 2012 8:29:38 AM

blazorthon said:
That doesn't change the fact that they don't make GPUs and that I already acknowledged that they do make PCBs.



the PCB is an essential part of the GPU. AMD of course creates the base model which other companies adapt and try to make better. its still their work. By your logic, Apple doesn't make an operating system because OSX is Unix based, which basically is like Linux. There's jsut a base model, others just adapt it and alter it.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:31:26 AM

I'd take the chance with the Acer and GT650m. The two laptops you suggested are horrendous for gaming. GT610m is just as bad. The difference between GT610m and GT 650m is enormous, and GT650m isn't that great either. Even for light gaming, I would never go under a GT650m, unless you do not plan on ever playing a game that's not out yet.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 1, 2012 8:36:43 AM

blazorthon said:
You seem to be mistaking GPUs and graphics cards. Although some people refer to graphics cards as GPUs, they do so incorrectly. A GPU is a part of a graphics card, not the entire card. The PCB is a part of the graphics card. It is not a part of the GPU. The GPU is a small chip that is soldered onto the PCB, but is manufactured separately.




this is where a Dual meaning can come into play. Technical wise, yes that is correct, the chip on the PCB is the correct usage of the acronym "GPU" but double meaning wise, especially when talking on forums to decrease typing legnth, GPU also has the background meaning of meaning any graphics card, as its almost synonymous as saying one will lead to the other almost instantly.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:37:09 AM

dudewitbow said:
the PCB is an essential part of the GPU. AMD of course creates the base model which other companies adapt and try to make better. its still their work. By your logic, Apple doesn't make an operating system because OSX is Unix based, which basically is like Linux. There's jsut a base model, others just adapt it and alter it.


Actually you're wrong, and he was right. That's because you're referring to the GPU has the whole video card, which it isn't. The GPU is a very specific part of the video card (the processor), and only Nvidia and AMD make them at the moment (Intel kind of...).
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:38:57 AM

dudewitbow said:
this is where a Dual meaning can come into play. Technical wise, yes that is correct, the chip on the PCB is the correct usage of the acronym "GPU" but double meaning wise, especially when talking on forums to decrease typing legnth, GPU also has the background meaning of meaning any graphics card, as its almost synonymous as saying one will lead to the other almost instantly.


Using incorrect slang in such a way causes confusion. You have no idea how many times that I've had to explain something to someone who didn't understand that many such slang terms are completely wrong. I see what you're getting at, but it is wrong to use such terms in such ways. Explaining what IPC really is or the difference between TDP and power consumption, the difference between process node, lithography, and a process technology, and so much more are routine things for me just because of slang terms like that.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 1, 2012 8:39:30 AM

blazorthon said:
Using incorrect slang in such a way causes confusion. You have no idea how many times that I've had to explain something to someone who didn't understand that many such slang terms are completely wrong. I see what you're getting at, but it is wrong.



for isntance on use of the "slang" when someone says the term "low profile gpu" (just an example) the chip of course isn't "low profile" but the entire card is. Its more or less accepted to use either synonymously in exception that in the one situation you should use it normally is when you speaking in professional terms to someone else who needs to know the difference.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:47:03 AM

dudewitbow said:
for isntance on use of the "slang" when someone says the term "low profile gpu" (just an example) the chip of course isn't "low profile" but the entire card is. Its more or less accepted to use either synonymously in exception that in the one situation you should use it normally is when you speaking in professional terms to someone else who needs to know the difference.


Except that when he said Asus didn't made GPUs, the meaning of the word is kind of self-implied. Of course Asus sells video cards. Everybody knows that.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:47:20 AM

Go with a toshiba with a AMD APU if you want cheap graphics performance below $700. Although toshiba isn't the most premium brand, all the laptops I had from with worked well enough. Acers generally overheat a lot but so do a lot of laptops with dedicated gpus. I wouldn't buy a 610m since its basically garbage, the card is as slow as the intel integrated graphics, Im not sure why the card is even around.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 1, 2012 8:51:20 AM

firedice said:
Except that when he said Asus didn't made GPUs, the meaning of the word is kind of self-implied. Of course Asus sells video cards. Everybody knows that.



and i originally was making a reference that they at least have hands on experience with actual pcbs and chips at the least. They have a foothold in the computer market, which I was originally going at compared to Acer. If you read my original post like that, there would be no need to question the term GPU, because I used it as a general sense to prove a different point, rather than talk about the actual chip on the PCB.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:51:37 AM

Quote:
The i5+GT 610M is a joke for gaming and the A8+Radeon is far better. Whether or not it is ideal, I'm not sure, but it is the better of those two.

Quote:
I'd take the chance with the Acer and GT650m. The two laptops you suggested are horrendous for gaming. GT610m is just as bad. The difference between GT610m and GT 650m is enormous, and GT650m isn't that great either. Even for light gaming, I would never go under a GT650m, unless you do not plan on ever playing a game that's not out yet.

I see...

Well actually, i already have my my own high-end gaming PC. I am just looking for a laptop that will be used for gaming only when i want to play LAN with my girlfriend. I'm looking for something that could achieve similar performance than my roommate's desktop A8-3870K HTPC with a Radeon 6550D (we're pretty satisfacted with the gaming performance right now - for the price)

I mostly play games like Left4dead2, Dead Island, Starcraft2, Diablo3, CS Global Offensive

This is the 2 best laptops i could find for around $800... I care a lot about reliability so i would prefer to avoir Acer.
How does a laptop HD 7640G performs compared to a desktop HD 6550D ?
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 8:53:09 AM

That AMD laptop has much greater graphics performance than the 6550D.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 1, 2012 8:55:25 AM

Valves games arent heavily demanding. cousin uses a last gen mac book pro to play Valve games(which are optimized to not be very demanding, if an intel HD 3000 can run the games okay, then a dedicated card will be better). D3 is also not demanding as well, leaving Dead Island(never really known performance on it) and Starcraft 2 to be the slightly more demanding ones, but either game doesnt take much to run at mixed quality settings
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 9:26:08 AM

ungovernable said:
Quote:
The i5+GT 610M is a joke for gaming and the A8+Radeon is far better. Whether or not it is ideal, I'm not sure, but it is the better of those two.

Quote:
I'd take the chance with the Acer and GT650m. The two laptops you suggested are horrendous for gaming. GT610m is just as bad. The difference between GT610m and GT 650m is enormous, and GT650m isn't that great either. Even for light gaming, I would never go under a GT650m, unless you do not plan on ever playing a game that's not out yet.

I see...

Well actually, i already have my my own high-end gaming PC. I am just looking for a laptop that will be used for gaming only when i want to play LAN with my girlfriend. I'm looking for something that could achieve similar performance than my roommate's desktop A8-3870K HTPC with a Radeon 6550D (we're pretty satisfacted with the gaming performance right now - for the price)

I mostly play games like Left4dead2, Dead Island, Starcraft2, Diablo3, CS Global Offensive

This is the 2 best laptops i could find for around $800... I care a lot about reliability so i would prefer to avoir Acer.
How does a laptop HD 7640G performs compared to a desktop HD 6550D ?

the 7640G should be up to the task of running those games no problem. It should be slightly weaker than the 6550D inside the desktop A8-3870k.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 9:29:33 AM

esrever said:
the 7640G should be up to the task of running those games no problem. It should be slightly weaker than the 6550D inside the desktop A8-3870k.


It is far more powerful than the 6550D.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 7:26:36 PM

blazorthon said:
It is far more powerful than the 6550D.

I really doubt this. The 7640G hits about P1000 in 3Dmark11, I tested my laptop with the 7620G and got P980.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/2489764

the 6550D if you look at that chart, gets about P1250.
m
0
l
September 1, 2012 7:37:43 PM

Synthetic benchmarks are known for not being very accurate.
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 12:29:09 AM

blazorthon said:
Synthetic benchmarks are known for not being very accurate.

well If you have a better measurement, it would be nice but given thats the benchmarks I seen, the 7640G is slower than the 6550D. The 6550D is just a smidgen slower than the trinity mobile flagship the 7660G. The desktop parts are clock much higher than the mobile parts.
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 12:51:40 AM

I see your mistake here. You forgot that the 7640G is not the only GPU in that laptop. You're ignoring the discrete 7610M that it is in CF with.
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 1:24:18 AM

blazorthon said:
I see your mistake here. You forgot that the 7640G is not the only GPU in that laptop. You're ignoring the discrete 7610M that it is in CF with.

well he asked about the 7640G, I wasn't aware that you were talking about that specific laptop with the crossfire.
m
0
l
!