brianmz

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hey all, I currently have 2 GTX 580s Lightning extreme OCed.

I was wondering if the performance in the 690 is worth the upgrade and also the power consumption, with my oc both cards go up to ~400W each on full load, and my Electric bill isn't liking it, my bill has gone up by an average of 150$ or a month after i've had them for 9 months.

What i want is to consume less power and have a good upgrade, I also play at 1600p and like to max every game i run >.< And hope the vram won't be an issue since i tend to use from 1gb vram to upwards of 2.5gbs on modded games or so.

Thanks.

P.S: How much should i sell the 580s if i make the change?

brianmz

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Doesn't seem like such a big performance gain >.<, what I need is less power consumption, electricity where i live is pretty expensive, so the card will pay for itself in the long run compared to what i have atm.

But I use my pc mainly for gaming.

brianmz

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Honduras, Central America, before i had my 580 Sli rig, my bill was about 150$ or so a month now its 300$ >.<, Electricity is expensive here, and the more you consume, they scale the price up for you as well. They do that to subsidize poor people, since people that consume what would be 30$ a month, don't pay anything.
The 690 Should just cut it about 225$ a month or so, since it would use about 1/2 the power of my sli, since i have a high OC on my 580s.

I figure I could sell my cards at 250-300 each tops, lets say 250, for a total of 500$ or so. I'm being offered a used 690 for 900$, in about 6 months, the savings would have paid for the difference, and I would still have more GPU power for gaming.

The 690 probably uses less than half of the power of your 580s. Also, your bill probably went up because of more than just your 580s. Getting a more efficient CPU and especially a more efficient PSU might make an even greater difference than just getting the 690.

+1 i agree

brianmz

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Using a 2600k @ 4.8ghz and I use the AX 1200 PSU which is gold rated =/.
Let me link my setup:

7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
16bgb Corsair Vengeance LP @ 1600mhz
Asus p8z68 Deluxe
1)MSI GTX 580 3gb LE
2)MSI GTX 580 3gb LE
64gb 830 Samsung SSD
256GB 830 Samsung SSD
2x 2TB 7200rpm Sata 3 WD caviar green.
Cooler Master Cosmos II
Corsair AX1200

My only regret is the mobo >.< Should have gone Maximus IV E-ATX

i like your taste that's a top notch build but i agree Maximus IV E-ATX would have been my pick well it's not going to help changing your psu so that can be weighted out :lol:

If you upgrade your graphics to a 690, then you'd best get a lower wattage PSU. You do not want to use a very small amount of a PSU's wattage and you'd be doing just that. Something like an 800w would be better. Using a small amount of a PSU's wattage can be just as bad for efficiency and wear and tear as maxing it out.

o.k. thanks for info :)

It only outputs as much power as is needed, but a power supply is designed specifically to operate within a given range properly. Taking it out of that range can have consequences. Just as pushing it too hard can be bad, not pushing it enough can be bad (but is generally not quite as bad as pushing it too hard).

I see 580s sell for 300 or more on e bay i think you could get 300 maybe 325 a piece depending the use of them and if you still have the boxes they came in with all the booklets and what not for some reason people are willing to pay more :lol: poor dummies you could download the booklet info from online

The point isn't about upgrading as much as it is about reducing electricity usage. If OP's figures are correct, the 690 can actually pay for itself in less than a year.

supersonic977

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
my bad ^^ ,, anyway the gtx 690 is consumes around 30 - 40% less power at full load but only 15% less when idle so the electricity bill would be less by an average to 20% so I still think isn't worthy upgrade

The 690 should use far less at idle too and regardless, the difference at idle doesn't make much difference anyway. Being difference by percentage doesn't matter. It's being different in total wattage that matters when you consider the electricity bill and the difference at idle is not big even if it was double the 580s (which we both know it's not) because the difference at load is what matters.