Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Ram and Overclocking Cpu

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2012 2:59:05 AM

Hello Tom's Hardware Community.
I bought this system back in March 2010.

I want to upgrade my ram from 4GB to 16GB with "Corsair Vengeance Black 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10-10-10-27 1.5V Dual Channel Memory Kit" Will my mother board support it?, on the box it says it will support up to 16GB of ram. but it didn't say it supports 2 8GB sitcks. I don't know if it'll make my computer faster with this upgrade to 16GB...

And I want to know how to overclock the processor so i can make the system a little bit faster without upgrading.
I did buy a big cooler and its overkill at stock speeds.
Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 OEM 2.66ghz running at stock speed

Motherboard: Biostar T5 XE P55

RAM: 4gb of memory Gskill ripjaws 1600

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS 10x Extreme

Video card: Powercolor PCS+ Radeon HD 5850 1GB

PSU: Coolermaster GX 750w

Hard drive: 1Tb 7200rpm WD black

Computer Case: NZXT Lexa S Mid Tower

PSU: Coolermaster GX 750w
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2012 4:40:01 AM

More RAM will not make your PC faster unless it is consuming more than that 4GB. You can check this at anytime by going to your task manager and seeing how much of it is consumed. 4GB is probably fine for most gaming rigs, however, 8GB is usually recommended for any new builts just so you have room to grow. 16GB will probably be a waste unless you are doing large video/photo editing, running virtual machines, or any other apps that use alot of RAM.

As far as OCing your CPU, I would suggest posting that question in the Overclocking forum. You will get alot of hits on that over there. However, if you just search for your CPU and overclocking you will get alot of forum posts that already explain what you will need to do. I have an i7 920 and have it OCed from 2.66 to 4.0 Ghz. I am sure yours is very similar, but you have to go through the tweaking process.
m
l
!