How do I get wireless connection from laptop to router?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Hi

I'm very experienced with standalone PC's but new to wireless so not sure
where to start...

I'm asking on behalf of a friend. He wants to connect his laptop (with
built-in wireless) to the wireless ADSL router (Netgear DG834) in his
office. Specifically to share the ADSL rather than share files.

I'm sure he'll need all sorts of permissions to connect and share the
ADSL connection.

I believe his laptop can see a connection but it wont let him in.

I'd be very grateful if someone can tell me what I need to do to get this to
work or point me in the
right direction e.g a web site with step by step instuctions?

God it seems like a bit of a minefield. So many things to ensure are in
place! So I'm a bit baffled as to the correct order things need to be setup.

Thanks for any info.

Ian

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:52:59 -0000, "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm very experienced with standalone PC's but new to wireless so not sure
>where to start...
>
>I'm asking on behalf of a friend. He wants to connect his laptop (with
>built-in wireless) to the wireless ADSL router (Netgear DG834) in his
>office. Specifically to share the ADSL rather than share files.
>
>I'm sure he'll need all sorts of permissions to connect and share the
>ADSL connection.
>
>I believe his laptop can see a connection but it wont let him in.
>
>I'd be very grateful if someone can tell me what I need to do to get this to
>work or point me in the
>right direction e.g a web site with step by step instuctions?
>
>God it seems like a bit of a minefield. So many things to ensure are in
>place! So I'm a bit baffled as to the correct order things need to be setup.
>
>Thanks for any info.
>
>Ian

You didn't say what OS your friend is running? Does he have
admisistrator priviledges on the Router? Wireless isn't rocket
science but is can be a bear if all the little things aren't correct!
XPs Network Setup Wizard will go a long way in helping with this also
along with the Wireless setup that's included with XP SP2 in Control
Panel.

TrOll