Sign in with
Your question

What can I do to make my computer better

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2012 4:00:07 AM

Alright I am wanting to do it all, from gaming in ultra settings to doing some video editing. So here is what I have done so far.

These are the specs

zalman z11 plus case
amd phenom II x6 1045t processor overclocked to 3.4ghz
antec 620 liqud cooler
msi 970A-g46 motherboard
Nvidia 560ti graphics card 1gig version
8 gigabytes of DDR3 1333mhz
90gb OCZ SSD boot drive
1.5 TB Western digital hard drive
corsair 500 watt power supply
pioneer blue ray reader/ dvdrw drive

I only run 1 monitor at 1920x1080 it may be a 23" or i sometimes hook up the computer to my 51" tv. I want this computer to be able to play the new games at descent frame rates. Games I play are just cause 2, crysis 1 and 2 battlefield, kingdom of amular Reckoning, etc. The studio I will be using is Sony Vegas. Is there anything I can possibly do to make this computer better or am I better off just keeping it the same

More about : make computer

October 28, 2012 4:07:48 AM

Your build doesn't look too bad, to be honest. However, there may be a few things you could do. The first would be to replace the video card- Upgrading to a GTX 660, Radeon 7850 or 7870 would be a good start. You've already got the CPU OC'd and liquid cooled, so you can't do much more with that as-is. That said, it is an AM3+ socket, and there's still new CPUs available for it.

They just came out recently, but you could try the new Piledriver CPUs. The 6300, 8320 or 8350 would all be good bets, depending upon your budget, and are compatible with the socket on your mobo. Not so sure you'll see a big increase in performance if you went with the 4300, but you might. If you're mostly worried about framerates in games though, the GPU is the best and first place I'd suggest upgrading.

Otherwise, you might want to consider a new build.
October 28, 2012 4:08:22 AM

Have you already bought this or is it just a spec list?

Unless you have a large budget, you cant make a top end editing rig that will also game very well. Requires hardware much more powerful than what you have specced.

Replace the Antec 620 with a 212 EVO. Budget closed-loop coolers perform no bette than budget air heatsinks.
Get the HD7850 instead of 560Ti.
Bump the RAm speed to 1600Mhz.
Which SSD is that?
Related resources
October 28, 2012 4:56:44 AM

The ssd I have currently is a 6gb/s ssd. For the video editing I do videography for weddings occasionally as a side job to make a little extra cash, but was going to start doing videos of my children as they start sports as a hobby. Its nothing to spectacular. The machine is mostly gaming. This computer is already built, has been for a year. I just dont want to go out and drop a ton of money on another machine. On most games I can turn a a few things down like anti- aliasing and achieve an average of 35-40 fps sometimes it'll dip to 27ish where I do notice. my budget is around 700 for upgrades.
October 28, 2012 5:04:08 AM

Any SSD you could buy (with few exceptions) is 6GB/s.

Then the easy upgrade would be a new GPU and CPU.

Throw an AMD FX-8350 in for the video editing. $220
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Its also ~ equivalent to a 3570k in gaming performance.
Thats an AM3+ board and doesn't require any BIOS upgrade to support Piledriver CPU's.

Then get something along the lines of of a 7950, 670 or 7970 Ghz depending on how much you are willing to spend.
!