Sign in with
Your question

PSU/GPU on old Comp.

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2012 4:14:35 AM

So I upgraded my old Dell Dimension 4100. I maxed out the CPU, put in a wireless card, upgraded the HD to 120GB, and maxed out the RAM. When I view videos on youtube for example it's very choppy. I just put in a http://www.amazon.com/Radeon-256MB-Memory-S-video-Video.... I currently have a 200 watt PSU. This graphic card requires a 300 watt PSU with a minimum of 250 watts. Could this be the reason why videos are choppy? Regular websites run smoothly.

More about : psu gpu comp

a c 81 B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2012 6:33:32 AM

It could be, but more likely is that old computer just does not have the power to do video. A 256MB graphics card has been obsolete since ~2005 as has AGP. I would imagine your CPU is pretty ancient as well and that is what does all the work decompressing video. That card was released in 2004 when broadband was just really becoming common and just is not up to modern standards. A new low end netbook has more processing power.
October 28, 2012 7:27:09 PM

anort3 said:
It could be, but more likely is that old computer just does not have the power to do video. A 256MB graphics card has been obsolete since ~2005 as has AGP. I would imagine your CPU is pretty ancient as well and that is what does all the work decompressing video. That card was released in 2004 when broadband was just really becoming common and just is not up to modern standards. A new low end netbook has more processing power.

I put in a Pentium III 1 GHz processor. Yes, it's an old computer. But I wish I could just keep it around just for web surfing/browsing and viewing videos. Nothing too demanding. It was my first computer and I keep it around as a spare.

Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2012 11:32:18 PM

I'm afraid anort3 is right, it's just too old my friend. It would cost too much money to upgrade it any further, although it's pretty much maxed out. it's too bad, yes, but it's true.
October 30, 2012 12:22:22 AM

Funny I just found an HP Pavillion 3100 and I'm getting the bug to upgrade it. Maybe I can donate these old computers to a kid that is needy.
!