Sign in with
Your question

GTX 680 with 700W OCZ PSU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2012 1:02:26 PM

hi im thinking of upgrading from GTX570 to GTX 680 and i have a 700w OCZ power supply is this a good enough psu? or would i need better?
thanks

More about : gtx 680 700w ocz psu

a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 1:08:31 PM

The 680 is a poor choice. Get the 670. About the same performance (you won't see a 2-5% difference when you're playing, trust me on that) at a much lower price.

Your PSU might actually be considered overkill in wattage, although I have known some OCZ models to be less reliable than many other brands. It should have enough 12v amperage, but I recommend that you check the 12V amperage to be sure.
September 1, 2012 1:13:52 PM

Yes....the OCZ 700 is enough
Related resources
September 1, 2012 1:17:02 PM

ok what is the fps difference between the 670 and 680? and my psu would be ok with both these GPU'S?
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 1:19:30 PM

OCZ? what model is it?
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 1:25:28 PM

twisted_rb said:
ok what is the fps difference between the 670 and 680? and my psu would be ok with both these GPU'S?

The two are almost identical in performance. The 670 uses considerably less power than the 680, but both can work just fine on much lower wattage PSUs than yours assuming that they have the 12v amperage for it. Unless you tell us the 12v amperage that your PSU has, we can't be sure that it is enough,, but I can say that it is almost definitely more than enough. Now, it's reliability is what worries me. Without knowing the model, it is a wild card that I don't trust.
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 1:34:12 PM

At what resolution? 1080p? The 670 should be able to do that with the texture settings maxed out, although AA and such might be a problem. Make sure that your CPU can handle that much FPS.
September 1, 2012 1:36:39 PM

i play at 1920x1080 and my cpu is a i5 2500k and i only want to run the game on medium settings not ultra @ 120 fps or even around 100 becuase u can cap the fps in game!
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 1:37:25 PM

unfortunately your power supply sucks-
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article/2008/11/12/ocz_70...
grab a 750w and a 670 instead of 680 and faulty psu.670 OC'd beats/matches the performance of a 680/7970.i would suggest this-
psu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
video card:
performance data of the video card-
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/41973-gigabyte-g...
note: this power supply has enough power to run 2x 670s in SLi so don't worry about future upgrading.
EDIT: 2500k is a very capable cpu and will not cause any problems.
problem solved ;) 
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 1:40:29 PM

If you want to play on Medium, that's your choice to make, but the 670 can probably do 120 FPS averages even in Ultra, so I don't see the point. Do you have a reason for wanting to play in medium settings?
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 1:42:56 PM

psu is one of the most important part,a faulty psu like your can burn your whole rig.
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 1:42:59 PM

hellfire24 said:
unfortunately your power supply sucks-
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article/2008/11/12/ocz_70...
grab a 750w and a 670 instead of 680 and faulty psu.670 OC'd beats/matches the performance of a 680/7970.i would suggest this-
psu:
video card:
note: this power supply has enough power to run 2x 670s in SLi so don't worry about future upgrading.

That PSU is a little more expensive than what I'd go for, but XFX is worth that much money. They're just re-branded Seasonic models from what I'm told and that's as good as PSU quality gets as far as I'm aware.

However, if OP has any multi-GPU plans, then I'd recommend AMD Radeon 7900 cards over Nvidia.

@OP
Do you have a preference for Nvidia cards?
September 1, 2012 1:44:10 PM

because on medium i think it looks around the same as ulrta tbh but ofc i will try to run it on high/ultra if i can and also do i definitely need a new psu then?
September 1, 2012 1:46:47 PM

is it certain that my psu is bad because it cost me £80 and its 80 plus certified so i dont see what is wrong
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 1:48:17 PM

twisted_rb said:
is it certain that my psu is bad because it cost me £80 and its 80 plus certified so i dont see what is wrong

The problem is that OCZ has a lot of unreliable PSUs. They have some pretty good ones, so they're a wild card. I wouldn't go as far as saying that it sucks without knowing the exact model because some OCZ PSUs are actually good, but some are very bad too, so I wouldn't trust it at least until you can give me an exact model number.

PSU quality goes beyond efficiency and wattage. Reliability matters too and some of OCZ's PSUs have some poor quality components that fail too easily and too messily (taking other components with them happens all too often). OCZ doesn't actually make their own PSUs, they simply re-brand PSUs from other companies, so some of them suck and some of them don't suck.
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 1:51:07 PM

^one of the worst!
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 1:52:34 PM

WTF? i told you that GX750 is one of the worst power supply on this planet
what's the problem with the one that i linked?
September 1, 2012 1:53:23 PM

i live in england so cant get it off new egg
September 1, 2012 2:06:29 PM

so what does this mean?
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 2:17:55 PM

The XFX is great. You can get that.

If you want to stick with your OCZ PSU, then read the reviews that were just posted of it so that you know exactly how to treat it to make it last. If you can't keep with what they recommend, then I recommend replacing it. That OCZ PSU looks like it's a risky PSU to keep to me, but that's my opinion.
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 2:32:14 PM

twisted_rb said:
so what does this mean?

That the MSXP700 doesn't suck as bad as the first review leads many to believe, they just didn't get the full story
You're planning an upgrade from a GTX570 to a GTX680/670 correct ?
You will be decreasing your power consumption, running a card with lower power consumption isn't going to cause the psu to magically explode or not somehow be enough
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 2:35:21 PM

spentshells said:
Whats with the huge power supplies to run a vid card that uses relatively low power ? Is there going to be some really big OC's on this machine ? 600 watts corsair
I realise you are not in the usa but these are examples

or

Good point. Others recommended the 750w XFX and cited its expandable watage (it can have two 670s) as good reasoning and I agreed. If SLI/CF isn't planned, then a lower wattage model should suffice without a problem.
September 1, 2012 2:35:43 PM

so guys im a bit confused now do u think i should just get a 670 with the xfx 750w or stick to my 700w?
thanks btw this is alot of help
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 2:36:03 PM

twisted_rb said:
so guys im a bit confused now do u think i should just get a 670 with the xfx 750w or stick to my 700w?

I think that you would do best to get a new PSU. The XFX 750W is a great example for a PSU if you plan on SLI in the future. Also, as spentshells said, if you don't plan on SLI in the future, then a lower wattage (600W) PSU should do well. Corsair is another great brand for PSUs, but I'd put them on-par with Antec, aka just below Seasonic/XFX.

I'd also like to ask again if you have a Nvidia graphics card preference.
September 1, 2012 2:42:00 PM

yes i would rather use Nvidia and im not planning on going SLI at the min but maybe in the future so i might get a new 750w xfx psu when i get the card and if you guys say the gtx670 is all most the same as 680 i will get that!
September 1, 2012 2:42:54 PM

so many people telling me different things :)  dont know what to do now
a c 80 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 2:44:33 PM

twisted_rb said:

Stick to your OCZ 700W, it's a decent power supply and plenty for the GTX 670.
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 2:45:47 PM

twisted_rb said:

Once again, you will be lowering your power consumption with either card, the psu won't be an issue unless you plan on SLI, no need to run out and change it till then
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 2:46:09 PM

twisted_rb said:
yes i would rather use Nvidia and im not planning on going SLI at the min but maybe in the future so i might get a new 750w xfx psu when i get the card and if you guys say the gtx670 is all most the same as 680 i will get that!

Do you mind if I ask if you have any particular reasoning for preferring Nvidia? They might be the better solution in some cases, but until we know more, I wouldn't say for sure that they're the best way to go.

If for any reason you want Nvidia regardless of what AMD offers, then at least do so knowing that the 670 and the XFX PSU are great options. For the 670 brand, if you go this way, I recommend either getting an Asus or MSI if you value card quality the most or an EVGA if you value the customer service the most.

EDIT: Sorry about the PSU confusion. Some of us are more adamant than other about having a top-reliability brand and OCZ is not that. They are often a cheap, third or fourth rate brand (out of five). Let me ask you one more question about your OCZ PSU. How old is it?
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 2:46:54 PM

Sakkura said:
It's not risky, it's a quality PSU.

I said tat It was a risky way to go specifically because we still don't know everything about it and we don't know if OP will keep it within its intended parameters. Please notice how I didn't outright dismiss it.
a c 80 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 2:47:17 PM

blazorthon said:
The XFX is great. You can get that.

If you want to stick with your OCZ PSU, then read the reviews that were just posted of it so that you know exactly how to treat it to make it last. If you can't keep with what they recommend, then I recommend replacing it. That OCZ PSU looks like it's a risky PSU to keep to me, but that's my opinion.

It's not risky, it's a quality PSU.
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 2:47:50 PM

twisted_rb said:
ok i would get a good make anyway but alot of people are telling me to keep my psu now should i get 670 and try my psu 1st because this will save me money tbh

We're not worried about it working with your PSU. It will work. We're worried about that PSU failing (I'm not saying for sure that it will). Also, please read my last response to you and reply so that I can make a better recommendation.

I've owned several OCZ power supplies. Some of them don't last as long as I'd like them to and when they fail, they can take out other components. Don't count out the OCZ supply just yet.
September 1, 2012 2:49:15 PM

ok i would get a good make anyway but alot of people are telling me to keep my psu now should i get 670 and try my psu 1st because this will save me money tbh
a c 80 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 2:49:59 PM

twisted_rb said:
so many people telling me different things :)  dont know what to do now

Some people have misinterpreted that review above. All it means is that if you push the PSU very hard when it's running in hot conditions, it's not going to deliver quite what it promises. But your computer, with a single GTX 670, is incapable of pushing that PSU hard. There isn't going to be a problem. You should only consider buying a new PSU if you're going to use two high-end graphics cards.
September 1, 2012 2:51:30 PM

Sakkura said:
Some people have misinterpreted that review above. All it means is that if you push the PSU very hard when it's running in hot conditions, it's not going to deliver quite what it promises. But your computer, with a single GTX 670, is incapable of pushing that PSU hard. There isn't going to be a problem. You should only consider buying a new PSU if you're going to use two high-end graphics cards.

ok thanks it seems you know alot so do u know if the 670 will get 120fps on battlefield 3?
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 2:52:30 PM

twisted_rb said:
ok thanks it seems you know alot so do u know if the 670 will get 120fps on battlefield 3?

That would depend on the resolution and settings. You said that you were playing at 1080p if I remember correctly and the 670 should be able to get about 120FPS so long as you don't use AA and maybe a frew other intensive settings.
September 1, 2012 2:54:14 PM

blazorthon said:
That would depend on the resolution and settings. You said that you were playing at 1080p if I remember correctly and the 670 should be able to get about 120FPS so long as you don't use AA and maybe a frew other intensive settings.

ok thanks i only want to play on medium anyway tbh and i think i will keep my psu and just see what happens because my pc is a custom build from www.powerc.com and it still has 2 years warenty so if anything goes wrong with psu i can get a new one instantly!
September 1, 2012 2:56:37 PM

it is about 10 months old and how do i check the temps of it but so far it has been fine and would it power a 680 if i wanted to go for the gtx680?
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 2:57:14 PM

twisted_rb said:
ok thanks i only want to play on medium anyway tbh and i think i will keep my psu and just see what happens because my pc is a custom build from www.powerc.com and it still has 2 years warenty so if anything goes wrong with psu i can get a new one instantly!

I'm really more worried aboutthe PSU taking other components with it.

If the PSU has a two year warranty and it's still going, then would I be correct in assuming that it's no more than about a year old? If so, then I think that it should be fine so long as you don't let it get too hot. I think that the reviews said that 40c is its recommended maximum.

Alright then, unless you specifically want to upgrade the PSU, we have pretty much come to the conclusion that your current one is okay, just not great. It should be fine so long as it doesn't get overheated.
a c 87 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 3:00:37 PM

twisted_rb said:
it is about 10 months old and how do i check the temps of it but so far it has been fine and would it power a 680 if i wanted to go for the gtx680?

It would power a 680 if you wanted it, but again, it's basically $100 down the drain. As for checking temps, there should be cheap equipment that you could buy for that. I don't think that it has built-in temp reporting features.

You haven't said if there's a particular reason for your Nvidia preference. Is there one?
September 1, 2012 3:01:30 PM

Sakkura said:
How is the PSU mounted in your case? Is it at the bottom or at the top?

its at the bottom of the case above my soundcard
a c 80 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
September 1, 2012 3:02:20 PM

How is the PSU mounted in your case? Is it at the bottom or at the top?
September 1, 2012 3:02:56 PM

blazorthon said:
It would power a 680 if you wanted it, but again, it's basically $100 down the drain. As for checking temps, there should be cheap equipment that you could buy for that. I don't think that it has built-in temp reporting features.

You haven't said if there's a particular reason for your Nvidia preference. Is there one?

ok thanks for the advice and there is no reason just always had nvidia i cant find many benchmarks between 670 and 680 for battlefield 3!
!