New build to upgrade my CPU

caalem

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: This Monday.

Budget Range: $450 total

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Compiling, 3D rendering, Video encoding, Gaming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Memory, Motherboard, Case, Power Supply. I have a GTX-460(not too old) that I'm going to reuse, and fairly new harddrives.
Do you need to buy OS: No, I use Linux Mint and WINE for gaming.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: N/A

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My e8400, although amazing in its day, is starting to show its age.

Here's what I have

CPU - Vishera FX-6300
Motherboard - MSI 990XA-GD55 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
RAM - Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV38G160C9K
HSF/Cooler - Hyper 212 Evo
Case - Fractal Design Arc Midi Black High Performance PC Computer Case
PSU - Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3

Comes out to $406

The motherboard, CPU, and RAM come combo'd together on newegg for $249 with $10 off on the CPU/Motherboard and the memory is free with the combo(total savings of ~$40.) If there's a cheaper alternative I'd be open for it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1094257

The PSU seems like a very solid choice for such a low price. I've always used an Antec PSU and have never had a problem.

The case is something like 40% off, I've read great reviews about it and seems like a steal at that price.

Is this the best possible build for my pricerange? Should I consider an Intel? I have no problems overclocking the FX BTW.
Also, will the Hyper 212 fit in the case with the heatspreaders on the ram? The heatspreaders look dumb and take up space, but it's part of the combo.

its not bad, its a moderately well balanced build overall IMO. the cooler should fit the case. as for ram, i cant say, since i never physically owned or had hands on such a common heatsink thats used, but I would think it may be fine. worst case scenario is haveing to have an up down configuration for the HSF or having the ram on slot 2&4.(worst case scenario would be losing the slight performance gain from dual channel and using 3 and 4)