Solved

What do i actually need for 3D PC Gaming?

I've been looking for some brand new monitors and have noticed some are advertised "....3D compatible..."

What do i actually need to game in 3D?
Do i just buy this monitor that's capable of 3D, plug in into my graphics card and there'll be an option somewhere in the graphics card control panel to turn 3D on or off?
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what gaming
  1. Best answer
    What brand of video card do you have?

    AMD systems require HD3D capable monitors for 3D (not counting possible hacks).
    Nvidia systems require 3D Vision ready monitors. 3D Vision 2 is preferred.

    AMD systems will also require 3d Software, such as Tridef or Iz3d. Some monitors come with it, such as Samsungs 750 and 950 models.

    Personally, I'd choose to use 3D Vision 2 (I have 3D Vision 1) as it is easier to use and has had more time to iron out the problem areas. 3D Vision 2 has lightboost as well, which helps brighten the image, where as most other 3D solutions will be dark unless they have some sort of system to brighten things up (luckly mine does).

    You should also realize that which ever monitor you choose will likely determine which brand of video card you'll be using for the life of the monitor.
  2. bystander said:
    What brand of video card do you have?

    AMD systems require HD3D capable monitors for 3D (not counting possible hacks).
    Nvidia systems require 3D Vision ready monitors. 3D Vision 2 is preferred.

    AMD systems will also require 3d Software, such as Tridef or Iz3d. Some monitors come with it, such as Samsungs 750 and 950 models.

    Personally, I'd choose to use 3D Vision 2 (I have 3D Vision 1) as it is easier to use and has had more time to iron out the problem areas. 3D Vision 2 has lightboost as well, which helps brighten the image, where as most other 3D solutions will be dark unless they have some sort of system to brighten things up (luckly mine does).



    Full specs:
    i7 3770k @4.2Ghz
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz
    ASUS GTX670 (non top)
    ASUS Xonar D2X
    Corsair AX750
    Samsung 830 128GB
    Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3
    WD 1TB Black

    Currently my monitor is an Acer S231HL - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398467,00.asp?tab=Specs


    bystander said:

    You should also realize that which ever monitor you choose will likely determine which brand of video card you'll be using for the life of the monitor.

    And what did you mean by this?
  3. What I meant is that if you choose a monitor that's HD3D, then Nvidia graphics cards will not work with it, so for the life of your monitor, you'll be buying AMD cards. If you get a 3D Vision (2) monitor, you'll be buying Nvidia cards.

    Since you have a gtx670, you'll likely want to go with 3D Vision 2.

    At 27" - ASUS VG278H is a good 3D Vision 2 monitor.
    At 24" - BenQ XL2420TX is a good 3D Vision 2 monitor.
  4. bystander said:

    At 27" - ASUS VG278H is a good 3D Vision 2 monitor.
    At 24" - BenQ XL2420TX is a good 3D Vision 2 monitor.


    Do these have the nVidia 3D Vision built in then?
    Could you possibly post some links please, preferrably from UK but if not; no problem
  5. Yes, both of those are 3D Vision 2, built in. Although, in the UK, you might not be able to get the BenQ model listed, as I understand they don't offer the TX model outside the US. The difference is, T model doesn't have the kit built in, so you'd have to buy the kit separately, but it still has lightboost built in.
  6. Nevermind, i found some.
    The 27" ASUS is good but very expensive and huge!
    The 24" is the most ideal but whats the difference between the BenQ XL2420TX and BenQ XL2420T? One has 'TX' and one hasnt :S

    Also, is it really essential that i buy 3D Vision 2 insteads of 3D Vision 1? And what are the differences?
  7. wrenaudrey said:
    Nevermind, i found some.
    The 27" ASUS is good but very expensive and huge!
    The 24" is the most ideal but whats the difference between the BenQ XL2420TX and BenQ XL2420T? One has 'TX' and one hasnt :S

    Also, is it really essential that i buy 3D Vision 2 insteads of 3D Vision 1? And what are the differences?


    3D Vision 2 is not essential, but it would be recommended, as it is the newest version. The biggest improvements are lightboost, which brightens the screen, which is a common complaint about 3D Vision 1. They also have more comfortable glasses, another complaint with 3D Vision 1 (I actually bought the 3D Vision 2 glasses for more comfort as they are backwards compatible).

    The difference between the TX and T models are the built in emitter and glasses that the TX has. You would have to buy the kit separately with the T model.

    If you went with the 3D Vision 1 model, the one in my signature isn't bad, as it does have it's own form of lightboost built in. Rather than the extra backlighting from lightboost, it just uses an extremely bright screen, which automatically maxes brightness when 3D Vision is enabled. It's known to be much brighter than the Samsung 750 and 950 models, though I don't know how it compares to lightboost.
  8. wrenaudrey said:


    This- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-003-NV&groupid=17&catid=1851&subcat=

    This is the new tech, they are more comfortable and may be required for the BenQ setup, as it is 3D Vision 2.
  9. Thank you for the answers so far.

    What about if i buy a monitor that isn't nVidia 3D (1 or 2) enabled?
    Are these not enabled?
    Asus VG23AH 23"- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-037-AS&groupid=17&catid=1425&subcat=
    Samsung S23A750D 23"- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-164-SA&groupid=17&catid=1425&subcat=

    And for this one, can i still buy this kit- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-003-NV&groupid=17&catid=1851&subcat= and use it with this Benq XL2410T 24"- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-043-BQ&groupid=17&catid=510&subcat=
  10. wrenaudrey said:
    Thank you for the answers so far.

    What about if i buy a monitor that isn't nVidia 3D (1 or 2) enabled?
    Are these not enabled?
    Asus VG23AH 23"- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-037-AS&groupid=17&catid=1425&subcat=
    Samsung S23A750D 23"- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-164-SA&groupid=17&catid=1425&subcat=

    And for this one, can i still buy this kit- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-003-NV&groupid=17&catid=1851&subcat= and use it with this Benq XL2410T 24"- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-043-BQ&groupid=17&catid=510&subcat=


    No to the Asus VG23AH, as it is not a 120hz monitor. Its 3D is done passively which cuts the resolution in half.

    The Samsung, I'm not sure if it is possible to use a 3D Vision kit on it or not. I believe if you use the kit, it'll work, but I can't say it'll work well, and the Samsung is known to be dark in 3D as is.

    I also do not know about that Benq model, as it is not their 3D Vision 1 or 2 model. It definitely will not work with lightboost, and I would not advise picking it over the one designed for 3D Vision 2 (even if it lacks the emitter built in, it was deisgned for it).
  11. Alright okay. One last thing, if i do decide to go with a monitor with nVidia 3D vision 1 built in, is 3d vision 1 and 2 backwards compatible therefore i can use that kit that i linked?
  12. I grabbed cupla these monitors before they bundled the nVidia glasses

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236092

    Picture is amazing and Batman Arkham City was ablast in 3D.
  13. JackNaylorPE said:
    I grabbed cupla these monitors before they bundled the nVidia glasses

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236092

    Picture is amazing and Batman Arkham City was ablast in 3D.


    Thats such a good deal, i'd get one myself but im in the UK :( That's why im so jealous with you guys in US/Canada as things there are much cheaper than here in the UK.

    Does this come with nVidia 3D Vision 2 or just 1 but because of the brightness of the screen brightness (400Cd/m2) it doesnt matter about the lightboost?
  14. That one doesn't have lightboost. Personally, I'd get one with 3D Vision 2, not only because of lightboost, but because they keep getting better with the new technology in general.
  15. Btw, a good spot to find what 3D Vision 1 and 2 monitors are available, check out Nvidia's search page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-displays.html
  16. bystander said:
    Btw, a good spot to find what 3D Vision 1 and 2 monitors are available, check out Nvidia's search page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-displays.html
    Anonymous said:
    Alright okay. One last thing, if i do decide to go with a monitor with nVidia 3D vision 1 built in, is 3d vision 1 and 2 backwards compatible therefore i can use that kit that i linked?
  17. I don't know about the emitter, but the glasses are backwards compatible.
  18. Best answer selected by wrenaudrey.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia 3D Graphics Cards Monitors PC gaming Graphics Product