Maxx_Power

Distinguished

You should be fine for every game you metioned.

Custom maps and super large multiplayer matches in RPG/Shooter games might be the only exception, but those are rare.

EDIT: Having 4 cores is a good thing in large (64 players or so) MP matches.

skitz9417

Distinguished
um i have been told this You will see a bottleneck with the 7950 unless you overclock the chip to a certain degree what do u think should stick with the hd 7950 or go with hd 7850 say they say will be better for my cpu

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

You are fine with either card. BUT, with the 7950, you can eventually migrate that card to a new CPU/Board and still enjoy a good overall experience. With the 7850, it will be the bottleneck down the line if you ever upgrade in the next few years.

That "bottleneck" is still there with the hd7850, but since you are more constrained by the GPU speed, you won't be able to turn up all the settings at high resolutions, so the game will run faster. The same is true if you get a hd7950, and turn down the CPU intensive settings to relieve the bottleneck, should one occur.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

The OP should be fine in GTA IV with his CPU, see:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/05/19/real_world_gameplay_cpu_scaling/8

1241242101HzgMiTjex2_8_3.gif

1241242101HzgMiTjex2_8_5.gif

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Well, you are fine with either card PSU wise. It depends on if you want to spend the money or not on a 7950. If you have the money, I would recommend the 7950, just because the rest of your system looks like it will be ready for an upgrade in a few years, so the investment in the 7950 will go right into a new system when that happens. If you get the 7850, you may not be happy with it bottlenecking your future system, if you intend on getting an upgrade.

If you are not planning to upgrade, and don't want to spend extra money, then the HD7850 is your choice. Either will play fine at 1080p or lower.

mubin

Distinguished
Get the 7850. Its the max your cpu can handle. Even it will be bottleneck by your cpu. More than 7850 will not gives you much frame.

The difference between 7850 and 7950 is the performance or fps. You will lose average fps of 7850 for your cpu. So buying a 7950 when you will not get more fps from 7850.

skitz9417

Distinguished
and i got told this in a aonther fourm

Yes The Only way to Get Rid of the Bottleneck will be To Overclock you Cpu which you Cant do, So getting rid of the Bottleneck Will Result in you having to buy a Board you can Overclock on and Mabey A new Cpu, Even Something like a FX 4100 Will Overclock well and Wont bottleneck the 7950. what do u guys think

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Well, my take on the FX4100 is that it is worse (on average) in games than a Phenom II unlocked CPU.

If you do get a new board and CPU, make it an Intel combo. Intel has such strong performance when it comes to varied work loads like games (very fast in games), that it is not worth it to consider AMD if you are UPGRADING.

But you game at not high resolutions, and your CPU isn't terribly slow, plus BF3 can make good use of 4 cores, you should at LEAST try your new video card on the current computer before attempting upgrades. This is the only way to know for sure if the games you are playing has actually benefited from an upgrade.

If you upgrade, an Ivy Bridge i5+z77 board will take you a long way for not too much money (like a 3570k + z77 board).