tisi99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Here is my setup: gigabyte mobo; z77x-ud3h, intel 3570k cpu, gigabyte 560ti gpu, corsair 16gb of ram, corsair 650w psu, corsair case, corsair ch60 cpu cooler, intel 520 ssd for the os (W7 ultimate), Westinghouse L2410NM monitor.

I have an issue that I sort of found the answer to, but not the solution. Sometimes the monitor seems to reset itself, where it goes black for a few seconds then comes back on and the letters "hdmi" are displayed. (since I am using hdmi input). Some sites explained that this happens because of the communications that is sent between the monitor and the gpu, some sort of "handshake" that gets disrupted somehow. I can't seem to find a solution to it. There is no driver for this monitor, and doing a reset thru the menu options have yielded no results. Would connecting to the mobo's hdmi output solve this problem? Since the 3570k has the HD graphics 4000 built in, do I need to do anything to disable that? Could that cause the problem? Or is it the monitor itself?
Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
it happen if the monitor power supply is going bad..if the input power to the monitor drops for a second it reboot. with most gpu in there control panel is power settings and there ones in windows too. i would start by turning both them off. if the monitor blinks try swapping monitors to see if it the monitor or the pc. also check the outlet and power strips. if it an oldr house you may have a lose ground or wire or a bad power strip. with the mb make sure it has the newest bios. also in the bios make sure the gpu is the first boot device. (if the power supply has a voltage issue it can cause the video card to reboot too).
And this happens when? While you work / play / watch videos? I only what to make sure that It's not the energy saving that switches the monitor off after x minutes. If it's not that it might be the HDMI cable. Have you tried another one already?

tisi99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
This happens during all of the above; but the pc is on for a while before it happens. It s not happening because it goes into the energy save mode. I have replaced the hdmi cable. I am certain that it is not the gpu, because this is the second unit I have installed in my pc. I know its not the pc in general because this has happened on a dell 540 before this, but only after I put a new gpu into it. So I thought the card was bad, and had it sent back to the manufacturer. Once they "repaired" it, it still did the same thing. So even with the new gpu, it still happens. Even with a whole new setup (mobo, cpu, etc) it still happens. So that is why I was asking that perhaps its a setup issue, or perhaps the monitor is faulty.

it happen if the monitor power supply is going bad..if the input power to the monitor drops for a second it reboot. with most gpu in there control panel is power settings and there ones in windows too. i would start by turning both them off. if the monitor blinks try swapping monitors to see if it the monitor or the pc. also check the outlet and power strips. if it an oldr house you may have a lose ground or wire or a bad power strip. with the mb make sure it has the newest bios. also in the bios make sure the gpu is the first boot device. (if the power supply has a voltage issue it can cause the video card to reboot too).

Solution

tisi99

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Thanks for all the ideas. Out of all the things you mentioned, everything but the monitor has been replaced. So besides the settings in windows, or in bios, the only other thing I can see is the monitor. I don't have another one to swap it out with, but I should be able to check the power supply. So one else seems to think it could be that "handshake" thing? Oh, and I just thought of something, when it goes out, the power indicator light does not shut off at all, does not even flicker.