Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cheap Upgrade Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2012 2:20:58 PM

I need some help identifying a cheap upgrade for my son computer.

Current card: Radeon HD 4000 series

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600

Ram: 4gb ram

Not looking for anything special and don't want to spend too much on a PC that over 5 years old. If I could find something that would be an upgrade for under 75 dollars that would be great. Under 50 would even be better.

Thanks in advance

More about : cheap upgrade

a c 291 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 2:23:15 PM

What is the main use of the computer?
Score
September 1, 2012 4:15:01 PM

Sunius said:
What is the main use of the computer?

Boys use it for lite gaming. League of Legends, Minecraft, some steam games.
Score
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 4:30:09 PM

I'll need more info on your PC then. Two more things to be exact:

1. Dimensions of your computer case (in inches or centimeters; width, height and length). Cards come in different sizes.
2. Information about your power supply unit. Some cards use more power than other ones. To find info about your power supply unit, just open up the case and check the label. If you cannot really understand what it's saying, take a picture of the label and upload it to www.imageshack.us :) . Remember to select "Do not resize the image" option!
Score
September 1, 2012 9:11:12 PM

Sunius said:
I'll need more info on your PC then. Two more things to be exact:

1. Dimensions of your computer case (in inches or centimeters; width, height and length). Cards come in different sizes.
2. Information about your power supply unit. Some cards use more power than other ones. To find info about your power supply unit, just open up the case and check the label. If you cannot really understand what it's saying, take a picture of the label and upload it to www.imageshack.us :) . Remember to select "Do not resize the image" option!

Dimensions are roughly 16x16. From the back panel to the drive bays is just under 10 inches

Power Supply: Enermax EG565P-VE

Only thing I have that isn't onboard is the video card. Powere supply has 4 and 6 pin connectors if I ever needed extra power for the video card.

Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 9:13:24 PM

What is the width of the PC? I suppose the Height is 16 inches and Length is 16 inches as well? What are the specs of the power supply unit?
Score
September 1, 2012 9:21:27 PM

Sunius said:
What is the width of the PC? I suppose the Height is 16 inches and Length is 16 inches as well? What are the specs of the power supply unit?

Power supply itself is 5 1/2 by 6 and the width of the case is 6 5/8
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 9:35:03 PM

Okay. Considering your power supply and case size, I can recommend two cards:

1. Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670
2. Zotac GeForce GT 440

The first option is a bit faster, but I can't yet tell whether it will work in your PC. I need to know the motherboard model to tell that. If you don't know it, you can download free CPU-z tool and it will tell you the model.

You can download it from www.cpuid.com
Score
September 1, 2012 10:45:30 PM

Sunius said:
Okay. Considering your power supply and case size, I can recommend two cards:

1. Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670
2. Zotac GeForce GT 440

The first option is a bit faster, but I can't yet tell whether it will work in your PC. I need to know the motherboard model to tell that. If you don't know it, you can download free CPU-z tool and it will tell you the model.

You can download it from www.cpuid.com

Thanks Sunius. I really appreciate the help. Here is the motherboard.

Manufacturer: Dell
Model number: OFM586
Chipset: P35/G33/G31
PCI Express x16

Score

Best solution

a c 291 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 11:24:46 PM

There is a good chance that HD 6670 will not work on that motherboard, because it has first generation PCI Express slot. So I suggest you get GT 440.

Just one last thing. Could you check graphics tab of CPU-Z and report the graphics card name? HD 4000 series was a very large line, and there are still cards that are more powerful than GT 440 from that line (like HD 4870). I am pretty sure it cannot have that card due to you saying it's a 5 year old system, but there might have been some upgrades done. We wouldn't want you to downgrade while spending money, would we? :) 
September 1, 2012 11:31:51 PM

Sunius said:
There is a good chance that HD 6670 will not work on that motherboard, because it has first generation PCI Express slot. So I suggest you get GT 440.

Just one last thing. Could you check graphics tab of CPU-Z and report the graphics card name? HD 4000 series was a very large line, and there are still cards that are more powerful than GT 440 from that line (like HD 4870). I am pretty sure it cannot have that card due to you saying it's a 5 year old system, but there might have been some upgrades done. We wouldn't want you to downgrade while spending money, would we? :) 

Radeon HD 4670
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 11:42:41 PM

Aw man I'm sorry I wasted so much of your time and this wasn't my first question :/ . GT 440 isn't an upgrade - it is very similar in performance to Radeon HD 4670. If you want an upgrade, you'll have to get at least GTX 550 Ti, which is way above your budget limit. I'm sorry again.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 5:40:21 AM

he could also get gts450 which i believe is now around $80 and is a decent upgrade from the HD4670 ?
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 2:05:16 PM

Yea he could get that - good catch mohit. However, the price is pretty big, it's actually around $100.
Score
September 4, 2012 4:45:54 PM

Thanks for all the help. I will have to keep an eye on the prices of the GTS450, but I may just have to build a new machine.

Its been about 7-8 years since I built one. Should be fun. With the AMD 965 black down to 89.00, I can put together a decent gaming system for a good price by upgrading MB/Processor/Ram/video card. We'll see how generous I am and if the boys deserve it. lol

Thanks again guys
Score
September 14, 2012 3:59:23 PM

Best answer selected by jcsully71.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 14, 2012 6:31:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!