Do I need Nikon Capture

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 11, 2005 10:05:29 PM

I have downloaded a trial version of Nikon Capture and also bought
Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0. I really like the APE3 NEF filter with
the histograms for R, G, and B, and have found it easy to take a NEF
file and adjust it. I also really like the fact that APE automatically
starts when the USB cable is attached.

Nikon Capture seems somewhat redundant, with the exception of
lens-specific vignette correction. That doesn't seem enough for me to
cough up the $90 for Nikon Capture.

Any opinions?

Thanks/Anker

More about : nikon capture

January 12, 2005 12:12:46 AM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:05:29 -0500, Anker Berg-Sonne <anker@ankersoft.com>
wrote:

>I have downloaded a trial version of Nikon Capture and also bought
>Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0. I really like the APE3 NEF filter with
>the histograms for R, G, and B, and have found it easy to take a NEF
>file and adjust it. I also really like the fact that APE automatically
>starts when the USB cable is attached.
>
>Nikon Capture seems somewhat redundant, with the exception of
>lens-specific vignette correction. That doesn't seem enough for me to
>cough up the $90 for Nikon Capture.
>
>Any opinions?
>
>Thanks/Anker

I never saw a need for it either... :)
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 5:32:18 AM

I have Capture but only looked at it for doing captures from my laptop, but never have.

January 12, 2005 5:32:19 AM

I have Capture but only looked at it for doing captures from my laptop, but never have.

January 12, 2005 6:59:46 PM

Gary Haygood via PhotoKB.com wrote:

> I have Capture but only looked at it for doing captures from my laptop, but never have.

That is kind of a cool feature though I don't know how often I'd use it.
The idea is you connect the camera to the laptop and can controll all
the settings and the pictures download directly to the computer so you
can see the full image & keep shooting till your HD is full. I think
there are other programs to do this with. You can download Capture to
try out for 30 days I think.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 10:08:34 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:05:29 -0500, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Anker
Berg-Sonne <anker@ankersoft.com> wrote:

>Nikon Capture seems somewhat redundant, with the exception of
>lens-specific vignette correction. That doesn't seem enough for me to
>cough up the $90 for Nikon Capture.

Remote-control?
Batch Processing of NEF files?
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
January 12, 2005 10:08:35 PM

Ed Ruf wrote:

> Batch Processing of NEF files?

That sounds useful!
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 11:13:46 AM

Nikon Capture camera control always reports that no camera is
attached. Any clue what the problem may be?

Anker

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:08:34 -0500, Ed Ruf <egruf_usenet@cox.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:05:29 -0500, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Anker
>Berg-Sonne <anker@ankersoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Nikon Capture seems somewhat redundant, with the exception of
>>lens-specific vignette correction. That doesn't seem enough for me to
>>cough up the $90 for Nikon Capture.
>
>Remote-control?
>Batch Processing of NEF files?
>----------
>Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
>See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
>http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 5:39:23 PM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:13:46 -0500, Anker Berg-Sonne <anker@ankersoft.com>
wrote:

>Nikon Capture camera control always reports that no camera is
>attached. Any clue what the problem may be?

The camera can operate in two modes down the USB cable; one is just as a
storage device (i.e. a very expensive card-reader), the other is as a
camera. You're probably in "storage" mode.

Try going to the setup menu (the spanner) and set the "USB" entry to "P"
(PTP) instead of "M" (mass storage).

Regards,
January 13, 2005 5:39:24 PM

Graham Holden wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:13:46 -0500, Anker Berg-Sonne <anker@ankersoft.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Nikon Capture camera control always reports that no camera is
>>attached. Any clue what the problem may be?
>

> The camera can operate in two modes down the USB cable; one is just as a
> storage device (i.e. a very expensive card-reader), the other is as a
> camera. You're probably in "storage" mode.
>
> Try going to the setup menu (the spanner) and set the "USB" entry to "P"
> (PTP) instead of "M" (mass storage).

Also the initial release of the software is buggy, download the update,
I had that problem too.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:06:03 PM

That did it. Thanks!!!