Sign in with
Your question

Have a look.! Gaming long with Intel... 1250$ =D

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2012 10:47:09 AM

This is not gonna be for overclocking because i do not believe that it is necessary to run extra risks, as the diference will not be noticable to me playing games like css/diablo 3.

On the other hand this will last for 3 years smashing any game you throw at it. (correct me if im wrong but i've done a ton of research in two months & that's the type of computer iam aiming for)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($86.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($134.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (389.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (38.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible. (39.99 @ Newegg)

ANY suggestions please throw em out that helps. 1 quick question does overclocking really matter when gaming? or can you get by without overclocking and still running games on max settings? thats what im trying to achieve in this build. ty in advance.

More about : gaming long intel 1250

October 28, 2012 11:14:10 AM

Firstly, that is a really nice build. I would probably go with the i5 3570 for a few more MHz for not much more cost. Also, if you are not overclocking, you can just use the stock cooler but the 212 is great and cheap so go for it.

Does overclocking matter when gaming? In short no if your GPU is good. The 670 is awesome so you will not need to overclock.

If it was me I would get the i5 3570k. You have everything else you need for overclocking. (Good PSU, mobo, case, cooler). Even if you do not overclock for the first few years, you still have that option in the future should you need more performance.
m
l
October 28, 2012 11:20:19 AM

taken into consideration and i will for sure get the i5-3570 for those few extra MHz.
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2012 11:27:27 AM

It can help but usually only in games that are heavily CPU bound.

My only recommendation is avoid Newegg for hard drives(mechanical). Amazon has sent all my hard drives in very nice boxes with proper protection for the drive. Newegg varies depending on the Warehouse....some just wrap them in some bubble wrap and throw it in a box.

I will continue to recommend Newegg for just about everything BUT Hard Drives.

This is how I've received my drives from Amazon lately

Though you can get it from Dell and get even better packaging and cheaper (and free shipping at the moment)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=soho&cs=ussoho1&sku=A4580397&~ck=dellSearch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=12
m
l
October 28, 2012 11:46:11 AM

Don't bother with a locked 3570.
Right now, the 3570 and the 3570K are the same price on Newegg with the current promo code.

That's $30 for a 0.3GHz difference that you won't probably even notice.

Also, don't bother with the EVGA. It's overpriced for a reference-cooling unit.

The Gigabyte Windforce x2 is the same price, get that.
If you don't mind spending $10 more, the Windforce x3 is there too.

If you don't mind AMD cards, the 7970 outperforms the 670 at about the same price.
m
l
October 28, 2012 11:59:44 AM

excella1221 said:

Also, don't bother with the EVGA. It's overpriced for a reference-cooling unit.

The Gigabyte Windforce x2 is the same price, get that.
If you don't mind spending $10 more, the Windforce x3 is there too.

If you don't mind AMD cards, the 7970 outperforms the 670 at about the same price.

I'll echo what I just said in another thread.

If all you care about is performance and temps, then yes get the gigabyte, amazing cooling, and expected performance. But if you are concerned about the future and possible failures, EVGA offers better RMA options should something go wrong beyond 30 days.

Also on that note, I recently had an experience with Amazon and RMA'ing my 7950(which turned out not to be the issue, but not the point). They sent the replacement out that same day, and it was sent next day shipping, along with giving me a UPS label to return the defective card. 0 cost for RMA, versus Newegg, where you have to beg, or demand a return shipping label, and they don't cross ship. Though I think they might use your initial method, I chose 2 day and guess they sent it next day to avoid my waiting over the weekend. Either way, they secured me as faithful costumer, and it convinced me to splurge on "Prime".
m
l
October 28, 2012 12:07:28 PM

How far is EVGA's RMA option exactly?

Gigabyte doesn't have a bad warranty service reputation for video cards or any products for that matter.
Looking at their RMA page guidelines, it seems fairly decent to me as well.

http://rma.gigabyte.us/DirectRMA/EndUser_Main.asp
m
l
October 28, 2012 12:28:16 PM

This site lists the different options they have.
http://www.evga.com/howtorma/

I don't mind paying to ship my card back to the Manufacturer so that really isn't an issue, it's something I've always had to deal with so it's acceptable.

They offer EAR (EVGA Advanced RMA), something I considered a good investment when I purchased my last EVGA card, and it turned out I needed it on day 1, I paid for the 2nd Day option, which at the time was $32. I had registered/purchased EAR before even installing the card, the card had some weird defect that would only allow it to run @ PCI-E 1x. I spent several hours trouble shooting then called EVGA, I went over the steps I already took, and was promptly issued an RMA #, my replacement was sent out the next day, I got the replacement 2 days later.

Compared to Gigabyte where you would submit a ticket, wait for response, get an RMA #, send in your card, wait for them to do whatever it is they do, then send a replacement and wait for it to arrive by ups/fed ex ground. Sometimes they send your card back with little explanation to if they fixed something, or just they didn't experience the issue.

Edit: For easy reference: EVGA's EAR options
EAR Plan-Shipping Method* -Cross-Ship? -Return Shipping?- Price
Premium-Ground-Yes -Paid -$29.99
2nd Day-2nd Day Air-Yes -Paid-$39.99
Next Day-Next Day Air Saver-Yes-Paid-$44.99
Saturday Priority-Next Day Air Sat. Priority-Yes-Paid -$49.99
m
l
October 28, 2012 12:39:53 PM

Ah, alright then. I respect that.

By the looks of it, yes. EVGA has a better RMA service and yeah it makes you spend more. :p 

Though I would personally prefer better performance and better temps/cooling. It's something I would notice more and would serve me more in the long run. I wouldn't really mind going through Gigabyte's RMA process, from what I've seen so far they're not so bad and a defect or bad card isn't likely to happen much anyway.

Also, even before Gigabyte's 3-year warranty ends, I'm sure I would've already had a new card by then. :lol: 
m
l
October 28, 2012 12:43:59 PM

Just so it's clear I'm not dogging Gigabyte here, I mean one of my prior cards was Gigabyte(a 560 Ti non-OC) and my current card is a Gigabyte. And I am/was happy with both. But I just have to say, if something goes wrong with my card, I may pay for a replacement and sell the one I receive back from them because 2-3 weeks is unreasonable for a wait time with no known option to expedite even at my own cost.
m
l
October 28, 2012 12:52:53 PM

excella1221 said:
Ah, alright then. I respect that.

By the looks of it, yes. EVGA has a better RMA service and yeah it makes you spend more. :p 

Though I would personally prefer better performance and better temps/cooling. It's something I would notice more and would serve me more in the long run. I wouldn't really mind going through Gigabyte's RMA process, from what I've seen so far they're not so bad and a defect or bad card isn't likely to happen much anyway.

Also, even before Gigabyte's 3-year warranty ends, I'm sure I would've already had a new card by then. :lol: 

I can also respect what you mention about temps/cooling, hence why I went with Gigabyte on 2 of my last 3 cards. (I bought a refurbed PNY 560 Ti to add to my Gigabyte 560 Ti for $160 vs $210+ for another new GBT). And with the exception of SLI for the 560Ti both have/had great temps.

But when I was considering a 670, I was heavily favoring EVGA because of all of the negative feedback on DOA and Quickly Dying 670's on Newegg, it was one of those situations where, I'd pay $10 more for EVGA initially to ensure quick turnaround + EAR options in case of a what seemed like quite possible failure.

Edit: And yeah, I don't see myself keeping this 7950 for more than 2 years either, IF I even have it that long.
m
l
!