Sign in with
Your question

Display problem - can this be caused by the motherboard?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • BenQ
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
  • Displays
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2012 2:34:38 PM

I have a GTX580 attached to BenQ XL2410T and a Geforce 210 attached to a Dell 2005FPW. Cards are driven by a AX750.

My GTX580 turns in the the following from time to time while I am using (not gaming) it. To fix this, all I need to do is to go to Nvidia Control Panel, uncheck the BenQ monitor and click "apply". The screen will turn blank and the Geforce 210 (Dell) will become the primary display. Then, I reactivate the Geforce GTX580 by checking off the BenQ and everything will be back to normal.

I know this problem is not caused by the following:
1. defective display card - because I experienced the same problem before the GTX580, I was using ATI 5830 at the time
2. display driver - I tried at least 10 different versions with proper installation and unnstallation procedure but it didn't help
3. overheating - the card wasn't overclocked and I experienced the same problem at rated CPU clock. Ram was not overclocked either.

Thoughts? Could it be the motherboard? Any input is appreciated.

More about : display problem caused motherboard

a c 291 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 2:48:10 PM

Might be the monitor or the cable as well. I don't think it can be motherboard. Did you try taking a screenshot of that? If the screen looks normal in the screenshot, it's most definitely cable or the monitor.
m
l
September 1, 2012 5:18:48 PM

I forgot to mention. I also get "display driver stop working" from time to time and the screen will go blank and back to normal after a few seconds. Sometimes, the game will also be shut down right after the black out.
I will try taking a screen shot next time but I do not think it is the cable or the monitor.
m
l
Related resources
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 1, 2012 5:20:26 PM

Also, did you try reinstalling windows?
m
l
September 1, 2012 5:28:21 PM

Twice already. I had this problem since I bought the computer. Initially, I thought it was the display driver. So, I kept updating the driver but it did not help. Then, I changed the video card, but still it didn't help. It happens once or twice a week so I have been ignoring it. I am wondering if I should RMA the motherboard or just get a new one. It's an Asus 1156 motherboard.
m
l
!