Sign in with
Your question

First build, need help on choosing parts and more.

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2012 11:51:19 AM

So ive got £550 (without screen and keyboard) budget and its christmas soon so i can go over the budget a little, not too much though.
The reason im building a new computer is because ive always wanted to play games but never did because i have a crap laptop, also when i do play games such as cs 1.6 on lowest settings i still lag and its pointless playing. Im only building it to play games really, no video editing etc...

I did some research but i still go blank when it comes to building a pc, these are the parts i think are good and i want to buy them for my new pc, and because there is so many out there i picked these probably because they look nice so i really appriciate any help and suggestions on different components, also this build is kinda expensive for me so if you know of any good parts that are cheaper please tell me. Thanks for your time.

CPU - Intel core i5 3570k (£170) I personally think its expensive but i dont want to be cheap on the ''brains'' of my pc, but is there any cheaper ones out there? or should i stick with this one?
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H (£120) The reason i picked this motherboard is because its cheap and ive read reviews and most people are satisfied with it...
GPU - GeForce EVGA GTX550 Ti (£100) Im not sure why i picked this, i dont even know if its good or not, all i want to know is it a good choice? will my games play alright? and if there is a better graphics card in my budget range please tell me.
OPERATING SYSTEM - Windows 7 64 bit (£70)
RAM - Ripjaws 8gb, 2x 4gb memory dimm 240 pln 1.333MHz 1.5v (£30) Same as the graphics card, i dont know what to look for in RAM memory, so please help :D  i only want 8gb of ram as well.
HDD - Western Digital Caviar blue 500gb 7200rpm (£50) Can you tell me what the colours mean? this one is blue but there is green black and blue out there and i dont know what they stand for.
PSU - Corsair TX650W (£70) i didnt know what power supply to pick so i just stole this of someone elses build, i know..
DVD - HP DVD1260i Dvd + Rw (£30) reason for this is because i can buy it from pc world where i live. (is it good?)

Still need to pick a:
Monitor
CASE
Thermal compound - What is this? is it necessary? and what is it for?
HSF

The reason im asking so much questions with the build is because ive never done it before and i dont know whats what, for example, i dont even know if the cpu will fit in the motherboard that i chose or if the graphics card is good enough for the cpu, stuff like that.

I really need help with this build. any advice, help, suggestions, opinions and anything i highly appriciate, Thanks!

More about : build choosing parts

October 28, 2012 12:00:03 PM

I don't think you'll be overclocking, so you can drop that CPU into a 3450 at least.
The Gigabyte board is good. If you wanna go cheaper, there's ASRock.

Honestly though, you're spending too little on the GPU. The 550 Ti is just...terrible.

RAM is okay.
HDD is okay.
PSU is overkill, you can get away with 550w.

That's an overpriced ODD. Get the ones around ~£15.

Do you have a store from where you'll be buying these? I'll help you look for the other parts.
October 28, 2012 12:01:53 PM

Forgot to mention i get £40 a week from work so i could make my budget limit higher if it made a difference in the performance of the machine.
Related resources
October 28, 2012 12:06:24 PM

Thanks, And no i dont have a store i can buy these from, i think ill be buying these off the internet so a few reputable websites would help:) 
October 28, 2012 12:08:53 PM

If you are on a tight budget, forget overclocking. Anyway, in order to overclock, you would also need a cooler. Use something like i5-3450, or i5-3470 (which ever is better deal). Then, provided you don't want the facility to have TWO graphics cards, you can use a much cheaper H77 motherboard. Even an ASRock H77M would be adequate. Almost no matter what graphics card you use, you won't need more than a 550w power supply. Take the money, you've saved, from those measures, and plough it into the very best graphics card, you can afford. That will get you a HUGELY better gaming build, than overclocking a CPU, and a c**p graphics card, like the GTX550Ti.
October 28, 2012 12:08:56 PM

What's your estimated total budget by the time you're gonna buy the parts?
October 28, 2012 12:09:19 PM

Personally, I'd go for at least a HD7770 graphics card if it's a gaming build.
October 28, 2012 12:14:58 PM

Can you tell me the exact name? like the make etc... i would like to look how much it is and add it to my build.
October 28, 2012 12:15:25 PM

I would say 600/650 is what im looking for
October 28, 2012 12:18:44 PM

Is the monitor, OS, mouse, and keyboard part of the 600-650 budget?
October 28, 2012 12:19:07 PM

Obviously, there are things which may need adding, or "shuffling", but something along these lines.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£145.74 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£62.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£31.25 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card (£180.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case (£34.99 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer (£13.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £561.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
October 28, 2012 12:29:58 PM

600 without the monitor/keyboard and i already have a mouse, i think ill include the OS though. The build malbluff has showed looks pretty neat but im not sure about the motherboard, ive seen a post and it said to only buy a motherboard from these : asus/msi/evga/intel/gigabyte. Thanks alot though it really helps
October 28, 2012 12:41:44 PM

Whoever posted that is probably retarded or he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Lol @ EVGA and Intel motherboards.

ASRock is the 3rd rank in the world's top motherboard manufacturers.

I'll try to cook up my own suggestion in a sec.
October 28, 2012 12:44:30 PM

Didnt know that ;o
October 28, 2012 1:16:10 PM

damien_95 said:
600 without the monitor/keyboard and i already have a mouse, i think ill include the OS though. The build malbluff has showed looks pretty neat but im not sure about the motherboard, ive seen a post and it said to only buy a motherboard from these : asus/msi/evga/intel/gigabyte. Thanks alot though it really helps

Would certainly agree Gigabyte is probably slightly better quality, and they do some reasonably priced H77 boards. The ASRock is perfectly adequate, for your needs. A Gigabyte may be slightly better, at slightly higher price. It's one of those "you pays your money and makes your choice".
October 28, 2012 1:18:40 PM

malbluff said:
Would certainly agree Gigabyte is probably slightly better quality, and they do some reasonably priced H77 boards. The ASRock is perfectly adequate, for your needs. A Gigabyte may be slightly better, at slightly higher price. It's one of those "you pays your money and makes your choice".

Thing is the ASRock is a micro atx, and im getting a atx case... Is there any difference between atx and MicroATX performance wise?
October 28, 2012 1:33:47 PM

Either is suitable, in mid tower ATX case. What you get with ATX boards is more expansion slots, possibly outputs. These days, though, with things like better onboard sound, you don't need a lot of expansions, unless you want to add extra graphics cards, wi-fi etc. If you don't need those, mATX is, effectively as good. Nothing to stop you using ATX board, just slightly more expensive, usually.
October 28, 2012 3:50:27 PM

They're the same thing, yeah. The ASRock even has more features.
!