burgergetsbored

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hey, I'm living in uni halls at the moment and the only way I can get on live is going through my laptop. I have the inbuilt Ethernet port and a USB to rj45 connector. Is there anyway I can bridge these so my laptop can get the internet through one, and pass it out through the other to the xbox? I've tried the windows bridging but that just disconnected everything and nothing worked. Is there a program like conectify but can bridge from ethernet to ethernet? Thanks.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
You don't want to bridge, you want to enable internet sharing.

Right click the network icon on your task bar --> Open Network and Sharing Centre
Go into Change Adapter Settings then right click the adapter that the Xbox will be/is connected to and select properties.
Go to the Sharing tab and tick Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection, and select Local Area Connection from the dropdown list.
Click OK to save the settings then test it out.

Example: You are connected to the internet via Local Area Connect (LAC) 1, and the xbox is connected to your laptop via LAC2. Set internet sharing on LAC2 and the xbox should connect to the net.

burgergetsbored

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I did try that but just got a message on the xbox saying it couldn't gain an ip address. also the internet on the laptop would stop working. Maybe something to do with the uni network is stopping it :/

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
You could invest in a small router and connect that up directly to the wall, then connect the laptop and xbox to the router?

sturm

Splendid
I would say the schools network is blocking it.
Many schools use mac filters and other network monitoring hardware to restrict network access so putting a router in MIGHT not work. You could try cloning your PCs mac address to the rotuer.

burgergetsbored

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
It's weird because a mates works fine. he plugs his laptop into the wall then uses conectify to link to his wireless xbox without changing anything. i have the old xbox with no wireless so cant do this:/ so I know xbox isnt blocked. And both the mac addresses on the ethernet ports are registered.

TRENDING THREADS