Newly built computer no display

Tacc

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Hello,
My name is Brad and I have been scouring google and my manuals for information as to how to resolve this.

At first, my gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard would constantly be in an endless reboot state. This led me to believe it was faulty. However, after some tinkering i realized my RAM cards were loose, so applying some pressure they clicked in and power was restored. I thought my problems were over.

Then I remounted my EVGA GTX-570 HD graphics card and with high hopes powered it up. And....nothing. I thought I might have to fool around with the bios. Unmounted the graphics card, plugged my HDMI into the motherboard directly and fired her up....again, nothing.

The manual for the graphics card states it needs 550 W, but my Seasonic M12 2 bronze power supply has 620 W.

I am using two corsair memory cards, each are 4gb. I removed the motherboard and weant back to bread boarding, still the same problem. I have tried exchanging plugs over and over, and have used both of the RAM in every slot. Still, nothing.

One thing to note is, that when the computer is plugged into the monitor, the monitor does not go into sleep. It is set to shutoff when there is no signal for more than 5 minutes. So, it seems to recognize something is plugged into it and has power, but no visual data is being sent.

I'm at the end of my rope here. Could someone help me out?

EDIT* I have made sure all power plugs are plugged in and secured (both the 24 pin and 4 pin are plugged in), I have tried using only one stick of RAM, my worst fear is that it is the CPU which is an I7 LGA 1155. I a using the stock fan which is mounted properly. All the fans spin,a nd I don't have access to another power supply (which i fear may be the culprit). I am hoping I can resolve the issue without having to send out for more parts. Let me know what you think!

Tacc

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I have removed the CMOS battery and am waiting a few minutes, putting it back in and seeing if that may be the issue. I am thinking maybe since I first tried to boot it up with the graphics card instead of the onboard GPU, the bios is all mixed up. I am hoping this will at least allow me to enter into the bios to change things. I am also going to remove one stick of RAM just to be safe. I'll keep you posted on the effects and the fruits of my labor.

Tacc

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Put the CMOs battery back in, tried on a different monitor. No changes. I'm starting to think that in my newbie dealings I may have shorted the motherboard along the way and killed it :(

Im guessing my highest hope now is that it is the power supply as it is relatively cheaper to replace. My worst fear is that the motherboard or CPU is damaged which would hurt my wallet alot more.

Tacc

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
an additional note is that when everything was connected inside the case, a short little happy sounding beep came on. I am sure this is the mobo posting, but this is my first build and I have no idea. Apologies for multiple posts.

buddyweiser2000

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

I had a similar problem with my build it was a bad stick of ram try using one stick of ram and see if it boots up if it does not then try the other stick if nothing happens then it might be your motherboard .

buddyweiser2000

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
well you can try and pull the motherboard out of you case but leave it connected to the power supply (you will have to disconnect the monitor and other devises then reconnect once you pull the motherboard out) and put it on the box it came in then turn on you computer if it boot you have a short some where in your computer case

make sure your using the eps 4/8 pin cable for the cpu power. also check that your mb case cables are on right and that the reset switch is not smashed in or broken. (you may want to pull the case header cables other then the power on). leave the extra video card out and see if you can get the mb to post with your monitor. you may want to try another monitor. also check the model of your ram with the mb qal list to see that you have the right ram. (new ib and sb ram should be 1.5v) at 1600 speed or less stock. (some mb will take faster ram but that up to the vendor and there qal list). the last thing is to take the cpu out and check for bent pins and or try another power supply.

Tacc

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I have it breadboarded as I stated in my original post, I am for sure using the right cable provided by the power supply. The reset loop problem is resolved, I am currently stuck at the display issue. I have checked my motherboard's compatibility list to make sure my RAM is supported. Two Corsair X3 4gb memory cards (together equalling 8gb). Everything should be working, the only problems i can think of are faulty parts or a weak power supply.

I will re-try switching the RAM out for the other. It is currently only running on the CPU, CPU fan, PSU and the onboard GPU.

Tacc

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
UPDATE***

It turns out the mobo supports the size of my RAM cards- but their model is too new. They aren't compatible, and I believe this is causing the issue. I will be going to a pro to get them to see if they can't try it out with another set of RAM cards. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Tacc

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Super update!

The RAM cards work! The GPU was failing because it wasn't getting enough power, and my HDMI cable was faulty. Then a chip of glue from the pin to the front panel got caught in the pins. What a nightmare. I am happy to report that it now purrs like a kitten and looks gorgeous!

So that my struggle may help others:

Make sure your GPU is getting enough power. Try with one plug first, and if that doesn't work try with two. Breadboarding is always the best way to do something.

Always check ALL your pins. If I didn't look closer with a flashlight, I wouldn't have noticed the chip of glue. Don't go out spending money when something silly like that could be your problem.

Don't get brave. One of my fans lights wasn't coming on (an aesthetic thing) and trying to get that to work is what caused the glue to chip off at the pin. That isn't to say don't hone your skills. Just don't sacrifice the whole thing for the sake of something menial like a fan light. Once I've improved and know how to get it working, I am for sure getting right back into it.

ALWAYS do thorough research, make sure everything is compatible. Make sure you've done everything you can before giving up. I could have dismissed it as faulty PSU or RAM cards long ago, but after explorative surgery I managed to get it running perfectly.

When it comes to installing graphics cards, or memory cards, don't be too scared to apply a little force. I thought my RAM cards were installed but it turns out they werent even close. I'm not saying hammer it in, but make sure your applying the necessary force. Your manual might be able to shed light on what you should experience, if not youtube search your motherboard and listen for clicks when they install things.

I wish you all luck, thank you again for your quick and courteous responses!