New $700 Build

Solution
I note there is no case. Is that something you are re-using from previous. Obviously, have to assume ok.
Only thing I would definitely be looking to change would be power supply. A PC Power&Cooling Silencer MKlll would be better, and similar price. The ASRock Z77 Pro4 doesn't do anything, for you, that a H77 wouldn't. Personally, I would prefer to get a good quality H77, for the same price as a budget Z77. If you were thinking, in terms of a Z77 giving you support for crossfire, should you wish to add a 2nd GPU, in the future (you would need to uprate PSU), then the pro4 wouldn't do that any better, than a H77. If you want full support for crossfire, you should use ASrock Z77 Extreme3 (or 4).

malbluff

Honorable
I note there is no case. Is that something you are re-using from previous. Obviously, have to assume ok.
Only thing I would definitely be looking to change would be power supply. A PC Power&Cooling Silencer MKlll would be better, and similar price. The ASRock Z77 Pro4 doesn't do anything, for you, that a H77 wouldn't. Personally, I would prefer to get a good quality H77, for the same price as a budget Z77. If you were thinking, in terms of a Z77 giving you support for crossfire, should you wish to add a 2nd GPU, in the future (you would need to uprate PSU), then the pro4 wouldn't do that any better, than a H77. If you want full support for crossfire, you should use ASrock Z77 Extreme3 (or 4).

Solution

GusBus1597

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

The only reason I wanted to get the Z77 is because in the future I want to upgrade to a K series processor so i can overclock, but if you think it isn't worth it then I will just get a H77.

malbluff

Honorable
If you actually wanted to do that, the ASRock Extreme3 (or 4, for some reason same price, at moment) would be better. However, that is highly unlikely to be a sensible upgrade route, from i5-3470. You just wouldn't gain enough, to justify cost. The only sensible way, if you want to overclock, in future, is to get i5-3570K and ASRock Extreme 3, now. You don't have to overclock now. When you want to, you just have to add an aftermarket cooler, like Coolermaster Hyper 212Evo.
If you don't want to do that you'd just as well use a H77 mobo with i5-3470. Even the really cheap ASRock H77M would be perfectly adequate, for your needs.

Check out my $650 build here:
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module146695821
It costs about $50-$60 below before rebates, and uses AMD's Vishera FX-6300.

AMD lagged behind with Bulldozer, but with Piledriver, the gains were pretty solid among Bulldozer with roughly 10-15% gains in performance. A benefit to Piledriver, or the FX-6300 is off the bat you can already overclock and many of the boards can push the chips to 5GHZ+, with that said, you'll be able to get huge performance gains over the i5 3470 which cannot overclock.
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-FX-8350-and-FX-6300-Processor-Review-Vishera-Breaks-Cover/Results-Skyrim-and-
The stock 6300 is pretty decent in comparison to the i7 3770K on frames and here:
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8350_and_fx_6300,6.html
The margin is a bit wider from the i5 3470, but it should be noted the difference in frames is pretty small. Enough that the FX-6300 makes it up in normal applications and multi-threaded applications especially.

Plus, in my build you're able to fit the 7870 in the build rather than just the 7850 in your build. And still save money, the most important is GPU in gaming rather than the CPU which should be noted.

malbluff

Honorable
Certainly agree that FX-6300 is an improvement on it's predecessors, and can now beat i5-3470 in some multi-threaded applications, like some processes in video editing, where more than 4 cores can be used. With agressive overclocking it can even approach i5-3470 performance, in applications like gaming. Obviously, it depends on how much video editing OP is doing compared to gaming, but, at least, AMD is beginning to become a "serious player". Nearly there. Here are some benchmark comparasons. <a http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/699?vs=702 /a>