And the books burn tonight

>Welp, it's "officially" over. Tomorrow White Wolf burns all their
>remaining books of the WoD.
>
>William

From what I understand, unsold books are "pulped" (some form of paper
recycling, I imagine) rather than burned.

I wonder if WW will start up a new ticker counting down until the release of
the WOD Corebook and _Vampire: the Requiem_.

Why, why can't the spammers just die
While they're looking for their free lunch and their pie in the sky
'Cause if they don't stop, we'll kiss free e-mail good-bye
Why, oh, why can't all the spammers just die?

william

> From what I understand, unsold books are "pulped" (some form of paper
> recycling, I imagine) rather than burned.

Yes, but burning them sounds so much more dramatic.

Also, "pulping" doesn't lend itself as easy to jokes about the
edition-ninjas WW will be sending out tonight to every player and store.

....Well, no, it does, doesn't it?

William

"William"

> > From what I understand, unsold books are "pulped" (some form of paper
> > recycling, I imagine) rather than burned.

> Yes, but burning them sounds so much more dramatic.

> Also, "pulping" doesn't lend itself as easy to jokes about the
> edition-ninjas WW will be sending out tonight to every player and store.

> ...Well, no, it does, doesn't it?

It's like talking about cremation or "water rendering" a body. Water
rendering, in like, six hours, turns a corpse into easy to crush bones and a
sterile, coffee-colored liquid which is safe to pour down a drain.

It's like, one's a BETTER idea, but it's like "That's not gonna catch
on...look how long it took for cremation to be consider something other than
a joke."

Shane Graves wrote:

> It's like talking about cremation or "water rendering" a body. Water
> rendering, in like, six hours, turns a corpse into easy to crush bones and a
> sterile, coffee-colored liquid which is safe to pour down a drain.
>
> It's like, one's a BETTER idea, but it's like "That's not gonna catch
> on...look how long it took for cremation to be consider something other than
> a joke."

You should check out thermal depolymerization! You can get pure water,
oil, and other products from a human body that way.

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG

"Julie d'Aubigny"
> Shane Graves wrote:

> > It's like talking about cremation or "water rendering" a body. Water
> > rendering, in like, six hours, turns a corpse into easy to crush bones
and a
> > sterile, coffee-colored liquid which is safe to pour down a drain.

> > It's like, one's a BETTER idea, but it's like "That's not gonna catch
> > on...look how long it took for cremation to be consider something other
than
> > a joke."

> You should check out thermal depolymerization! You can get pure water,
> oil, and other products from a human body that way.

Keen. I wish those made the chapter on "What to do with it?" in Stiff: the
Curious Lives of Human Cavaders.

A book I reccomend to EVERYONE, by the way. Short, sweet, amsuing, and
makes you think about death other than the "I'm no longer living" way.

Julie d'Aubigny <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<4093535E.71ED833B@comcast.net>...
> Shane Graves wrote:
> >
> > It's like talking about cremation or "water rendering" a body. Water
> > rendering, in like, six hours, turns a corpse into easy to crush bones and a
> > sterile, coffee-colored liquid which is safe to pour down a drain.
> >
> > It's like, one's a BETTER idea, but it's like "That's not gonna catch
> > on...look how long it took for cremation to be consider something other than
> > a joke."
>
> You should check out thermal depolymerization! You can get pure water,
> oil, and other products from a human body that way.

I like the Soylent Green process myself- no muss, no fuss, just
little green squares.

A plasma torch would be fun as well. But that's just me.

-Eric Tolle

> From what I understand, unsold books are "pulped" (some form of paper
> recycling, I imagine) rather than burned.

It's a sin to do this to any book... i'm not very persuaded about the whole
"No we are cutting are ties with the WOD to make WOD"... thankfully many
people will still keep the stuff on their shelves and stores will still have
stuff leftover...

The king is Dead, Long Live the King, was never my cup of Tea...

--
Asmodai
-----------------------------------

Asmodai wrote:

> It's a sin to do this to any book... i'm not very persuaded about the whole
> "No we are cutting are ties with the WOD to make WOD"... thankfully many
> people will still keep the stuff on their shelves and stores will still have
> stuff leftover...

> The king is Dead, Long Live the King, was never my cup of Tea...

It's a legal necessity. There's this thing called "Inventory Tax,"
where the government makes you pay taxes on the stuff kept in your
warehouses. White Wolf has to get rid of all the old WoD books in their
warehouses, or they'll have to keep spending money on 'em.
--
Stephenls
Geek

In the borning days of the third millennium, Stephenls wrote:
>It's a legal necessity. There's this thing called "Inventory Tax,"
>where the government makes you pay taxes on the stuff kept in your
>warehouses. White Wolf has to get rid of all the old WoD books in their
>warehouses, or they'll have to keep spending money on 'em.

Give them away to some sort of charity. That way they can write them off on
their taxes (assuming there isn't some way to do that already), and they avoid
the odious necessity of burning a book.

--
Brian Merchant (remove "example." to email me)

Reading Slashdot is like attending a meeting of Mensa in the same hall
where they're giving away WWF Smackdown tickets in exchange for chickens.

Eric Tolle wrote:

> Julie d'Aubigny <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<4093535E.71ED833B@comcast.net>...
> > Shane Graves wrote:
> > >
> > > It's like talking about cremation or "water rendering" a body. Water
> > > rendering, in like, six hours, turns a corpse into easy to crush bones and a
> > > sterile, coffee-colored liquid which is safe to pour down a drain.
> > >
> > > It's like, one's a BETTER idea, but it's like "That's not gonna catch
> > > on...look how long it took for cremation to be consider something other than
> > > a joke."
> >
> > You should check out thermal depolymerization! You can get pure water,
> > oil, and other products from a human body that way.
>
> I like the Soylent Green process myself- no muss, no fuss, just
> little green squares.
>
> A plasma torch would be fun as well. But that's just me.

Depolymerization is probably more efficient, overall.

--

Stephenls wrote:

> It's a legal necessity. There's this thing called "Inventory Tax,"
> where the government makes you pay taxes on the stuff kept in your
> warehouses.

Wow, what an evil invention.

--
Jon
-----

lord zog wrote:

> Wow, what an evil invention.

It makes evil sense, though. It could be argued that it's an extension
of property tax, simply using the "stuff one owns" meaning of property
rather than the "land one owns" meaning. Companies can be taxed
according to their net worth. The materials a company owns count
towards that company's net worth. Therefore, companies can be taxed
according to the value of the materials they own.

I suspect private individuals will, sooner or later, end up paying a net
worth tax as well as an income tax. The government /loves/ to invent
new taxes.

By destroying the old WoD books, White Wolf reduces the amount of taxes
it has to pay /and/ frees up warehouse space.