Sign in with
Your question

Wired connection

Last response: in Networking
October 17, 2011 6:53:25 PM

Hello,In layman's terms why can't I set my Westell 7500 to wireless, it only allows manual broadband set up

More about : wired connection

October 17, 2011 7:25:42 PM

I've been through the connection set up so many times I can do it in my sleep. The wired connection keep dropping and no one seems to know why, that's why it set as broadband. All my house wiring was replaced, voice & data split, Verizon also changed their routers and installed new equipment. Still dropped connections this is modem #5
m
l
Related resources
October 17, 2011 7:38:46 PM

Quote:
I've been through the connection set up so many times I can do it in my sleep. The wired connection keep dropping and no one seems to know why, that's why it set as broadband. All my house wiring was replaced, voice & data split, Verizon also changed their routers and installed new equipment. Still dropped connections this is modem #5

Had I known that at the offset, I would not have responded at all, let alone offered such a useless response.
m
l
October 17, 2011 10:01:26 PM

I still need to know why the modem will net set up as wireless and only broadband
m
l
October 17, 2011 10:04:57 PM

Quote:
I still need to know why the modem will net set up as wireless and only broadband

Suggest Posting in the Networking Forums.
m
l
a b F Wireless
October 18, 2011 12:38:00 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Windows Vista to section Networking by Area51reopened
m
l
October 19, 2011 8:03:54 PM

You need to clarify the exact fault before we can proceed. You also need to check your networking terms as you may have them mixed up and it is confusing me.

Broadband = type of internet verizon is providing between them and your router.
Wireless = wifi connections

What makes you say "the wired connection keep dropping"

Can users on wifi connect?
Can users using ethernet cable connect?

m
l
October 20, 2011 2:11:53 AM

I agree that there may be a language / term barrier to get through.

You say you have the wired connection set to broadband... Are you referring to nomenclature used in the Windows Network Setup when you say "broadband"? (Note: technically broadband is ONLY available on cable provider networks - DSL is not broadband)

I have a glossary on my site that is meant for easy reading and which may be useful: http://www.easy-home-networking-guide.com/Computer-Glos...

Other information that would be useful:

Are you connecting your computer directly to the modem with the wired connectino?

Does your computer also have a wireless adapter as well as a wired adapter?

Do you have only one computer in the house?

-Mike
m
l
October 20, 2011 2:23:20 AM

If you've spent the money replacing all the lines in your house I'd recommend you spend another hundred or so and replace your modem.

Have a look at the Netgear WNDR3700 N600, ADSL modem with dual band N range wireless and gigabit network.

Laymans terms: Fast wireless and wired connections between the computer and the modem. This will not increase your overall internet speed.
The Westell 7500 has quite a lot of bad reviews, and could be the source of all your problems. I'd highly recommend replacing it.
m
l
October 21, 2011 7:13:07 PM

DO NOT BUY ANY EQUIPEMENT!

Arael - in laymans terms the OP cannot getting connected, it does not matter how fast a wireless N connection is because the OP cannot set it up.

your equipement may be perfectly fine. We wont know until you can tell us exactly what the issue is.

This is likely to be a simple case of you need some more assistance in setting up the connection correct. You need somebody who knows what they are doing.

You would be better off getting some help in person. Find your local IT guy, a family friend or even the IT guy at work.
m
l
October 23, 2011 2:19:08 AM

He mentioned that the connection kept dropping, which means he was able to get a connection to the net.
If all the wiring has been replaced and the setup has been done correctly, irrespective of his wireless isues the broadband should connect fine. If it isn't, then the next likely fault would be the modem. Either replacing or simply trying to connect using a different modem would help identify where the fault is.

It would also be good if the OP would clarify what he meant by only allows manual broadband set up".
m
l
!