rocco1123

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Hello,
I have a sata2 motherboard.... yes i know.... Ancient.. :p but its all i have right now... and it keeps shutting off when i play games like LOL, LOTRO and occasionally when i play CSS... ive replaced the power supply and checked the heat and i think my video card is overheating.... so i was just going to invest in a new video card. What video card is compatible with SATA2 motherboards?...... OR.... is there a different way to fix this?

rocco1123

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Sorry to double post** but i Don't get any visual lag. even on decent graphics... So i assumed it wasn't the ram, but I"m fairly new to repairing/troubleshooting desktops.

RAM isn't responsible for video. It's responsible for pretty much everything that has to do with numbers, though. Just test it and we'll see whether that was the problem or not. I don't think it's hard at all, it will just take some time (like 1-2 hours).

rocco1123

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Ok. I couldn't run that mem test.(i don't have a spare flashdrive or a spare blank cd) BUT i did try other RAM in my comp.... it didn't help... i am looking at CPUID right now.. and my VTIN temperature is at 114C. I don't know what VTIN is, but i think that may be the problem?

rocco1123

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
ive talked to a few people about this, they said it might be my heatsink or bad thermal paste,so im going to get a new heatsink\fan and get some new ram. Both of which wouldn't hurt to replace. I'll let you guys know what the verdict is after this.

OH! and what is the VTIN? Its showing 114C.

rocco1123

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Quick update, I updated my video card drivers and ran Avast! anti virus scan and it is still doing it, but im waiting for my heatsink and ram to come in from newegg.

rocco1123

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Yeah but it only has 2 gigs of ram so upgrading it definitely doesn't hurt. I also talked to a guy who owns a computer place who says he thinks it might be the processor itself.