Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is the 4870 a GOOD Card for 2012? Will it function with my system?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 1, 2012 6:57:03 PM

Hey Guys. This is my current psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-148-...

Right now, I have a Pentium D with 1gb DDR2 RAM and an 8400GS. My friend sells pc parts, and because weve been friends for a while, he's giving discounts. So I'm upgrading to a Core2Duo e6750, 4GB DDR2, and a Radeon 4870. Can my PSU handle all of that? I will use a 6 pin adapter.

EDIT: I like using emulators and I'm planning on playing RappelZ, Minecraft, Sleeping Dogs, ETC. Max res will not be past 1024x1080. Atleast till I update my monitor.

I also have one question:

The 4870 he is giving me is 2 years old, used. He also has a 4850 512MB DDR3 for the same price, $50, but its brand new. I know the 4870 is faster than the 4850, but its also been used for 2 years and OC'ed and consumes a lot more power. Which should I choose? Thanks guys :kaola: 
September 1, 2012 7:05:49 PM

That's a horrible PSU (quality wise), but besides that, it's sufficient in wattage, at least.

You would need a Molex to 6 pin PCIe adapter, though, since that PSU only has one 6 pin connector and the 4870 requires two.

I would really suggest getting a better quality PSU, period, though (even if it's not necessarily required).

And I would go with the 4870, out of the two. It's not great by today's standards, but it fits in with your current hardware nicely (and the C2D as well).
m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2012 7:10:37 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
That's a horrible PSU (quality wise), but besides that, it's sufficient in wattage, at least.

You would need a Molex to 6 pin PCIe adapter, though, since that PSU only has one 6 pin connector and the 4870 requires two.

I would really suggest getting a better quality PSU, period, though (even if it's not necessarily required).

Ok well in that case, I guess Ill just stay with the 4850. I dont want my PSU burning up and destroying my parts :p 

I will probably upgrade in a month. Budget, ehh 150. Any suggestions?
m
l
September 1, 2012 7:12:20 PM

Sunius said:
I wouldn't use that power supply. It's a time bomb. Get something like this instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I already have the "time bomb" sadly.. I bought a couple months ago.. noob move. Anyway, Ill upgrade my PC in about a month, when Ill have 150. Should I upgrade my Cpu first or my GPU?
m
l

Best solution

September 1, 2012 7:16:02 PM

Well, here's a good PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $59.99

As far as which you should upgrade first between the CPU and GPU, that's a tough choice, but if you can get the 4850 for $50, you might as well do that first (after the PSU).
September 1, 2012 7:16:13 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Well, here's a good PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $59.99

As far as which you should upgrade first between the CPU and GPU, that's a tough choice, but if you can get the 4850 for $50, you might as well do that first (after the PSU).

Ok thanks. I am a cheapstake, I always go for the cheapest name brand possible.. But the APEVIA one had so good reviews I bought it. I searched '4870" and it seemed the 2 out of 3 people had very good luck with it, while one of them got a burnout.. Ill stick with the 4850 for now and upgrade later.

I'm also planning to over clock. Is that a good idea?
m
l
September 1, 2012 7:22:42 PM

No it's not. Also, good reviews?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2007/05/23/450w500w_psu_...

Quote:
The Apevia ATX-AS500W-BL started off with an either love it or hate it look and with a questionable build quality. During the load testing portion of the review the design choices lead to poor performance and some literal falling apart as the unit began to melt. At a load of only 241w at 45c the 12v2 rail fell out of the ATX specification for 12v output voltage range and sealed the fate of the Apevia. The DC output during this time was on one hand better than would be expected from a unit that had failed so spectacularly but still poor as the 5v rail was pushing if not exceeding the ATX specification during Test #3 (353w). There is no application that the Apevia ATX-AS500W-BL would be suitable for and it could indeed be outright dangerous hardware due to its electrical performance and due to how the unit’s physical construction operates at elevated temperatures (such as our testing range of 45c).
m
l
September 1, 2012 7:23:01 PM

nsahawks7 said:
I'm also planning to over clock. Is that a good idea?

As long as you get a decent PSU, like the one I suggested, yeah, it's fine (I'm assuming that you're talking about the 4850). If it's the CPU or both, then you'll need a better cooler for the CPU, as well.
m
l
September 1, 2012 7:24:17 PM

Sunius said:
No it's not.

Why not (aside from the possibility of damaging the card from overvolting)?

With a better PSU, it shouldn't be a problem.
m
l
September 1, 2012 7:29:50 PM

He said he wasn't going to change the PSU... That's why.
m
l
September 1, 2012 7:33:14 PM

Sunius said:
He said he wasn't going to change the PSU... That's why.

Yeah, I took what he said to mean that he would upgrade the GPU later if necessary, but I think you're right.
m
l
September 1, 2012 7:53:31 PM

I don't "love" the cooler, but it should be good enough for the OC you want, and that's a MUCH better PSU. :) 
m
l
September 1, 2012 7:58:18 PM

Thanks.. I really hope I can afford.. I was only going to buy a video card but I ended up buying a power supply and cooler too haha. I guess you get what you payed for. Shouldnt have bought that APEVIA in the first place
m
l
September 1, 2012 8:09:15 PM

What the problem seems to be here is that, like many people, you want to get faster components and upgrade. Upgrade you PSU first and get something better than decent like @Sunius suggested. Honestly there is no point of getting newer parts if your PSU will likely die and maybe take other parts with it. Lower end PSUs don't even output what is advertised, for example a cheap 450W PSU may only output 250-300W (many examples, but for clear evidence look at the article that @Sunius posted). The amperage on your PSU's 12v rail isn't good, so don't expect crazy overclocks, or even for it to be fully stable. 16A and 18A rails will get it done, but only for now.
I'm not sure if the rails on your PSU add up, but if they don't, those are low amperages.
m
l
September 1, 2012 8:10:40 PM

^ He just bought (or will buy) the OCZ unit that he linked, so all is well, now...
m
l
September 1, 2012 8:13:25 PM

locomoco321 said:
What the problem seems to be here is that, like many people, you want to get faster components and upgrade. Upgrade you PSU first and get something better than decent like @Sunius suggested. Honestly there is no point of getting newer parts if your PSU will likely die and maybe take other parts with it. Lower end PSUs don't even output what is advertised, for example a cheap 450W PSU may only output 250-300W (many examples, but for clear evidence look at the article that @Sunius posted). The amperage on your PSU's 12v rail isn't good, so don't expect crazy overclocks, or even for it to be fully stable. 16A and 18A rails will get it done, but only for now.
I'm not sure if the rails on your PSU add up, but if they don't, those are low amperages.

LOL Its ok, I figured it out. Its weird how the PSU is one of the least appreciated parts of a pc but its the heart and soul of your whole build. And yeah, Im going to stick with the OCZ. Thanks though.
m
l
September 15, 2012 2:29:05 PM

Best answer selected by nsahawks7.
m
l
!