Random restarts/crashes

Germs

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
So when starting my computer up, after the windows 7 "Welcome" screen it will either crash/restart right then or after a few minutes of running, after this i can hear by the fans inside cutting off/on that it is trying to restart but failing and only starts up again if you leave it off for a few seconds.

Posting this whilst in safe mode as it runs without any crashes, i had this problem a few months ago, i simply switched extensions leads and which socket in the wall i plugged it into, and to my surprise it worked fine for months, until now.

I tried using a different GPU as i was told that might be the problem, but it didn't work. I also tried using a different hard drive, it worked fine for a few hours, but then the same problems. CPU/GPU temperatures are normal, and i've tried re installing windows.

Specs:
Processor (CPU) AMD PHENOM II X4 970 (3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard ASUS® M4A87TD/USB3: DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
Memory (RAM) 4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
1GB AMD RADEON™ HD 6870 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU

Germs

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

I do, but i'd have to remove it from an old computer and switch GPU's, and i don't have the time to do that until tomorrow, but i will give it a try

This could be a PSU issue, or, since it runs in safe mode with the same devices present, an issue of older drivers that weren't replaced somewhere.
Uninstall ALL your video drivers. Run something like ccleaner to remove traces of them. Then install a current driver for your video card.

Germs

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

Sorry about the delay, been busy.

The only spare PSU i have is old and as such can't support my usual GPU, so i have to switch to an older GPU as well.

Left it running for a day and everything was fine, but now it just freezes up seemingly at random. Could this be an issue with using an old GPU (GeForce 8500 GT) or does the problem lie elsewhere than just the PSU?

Tried that fix a while ago but gave it another try, still nothing, thanks though.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
when you start it go to the bios and check if it give the exact time it should be if time is not the exact one i would check to see if cmos battery on the board still have the power mark for it

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
i would try something with the tx650 since the card need 2 pci-e connector i would use one and use the 4 pins molex splitter to 6 pins pci-e for the second one that will permit to see if psu is giving enough power when the card is on load,do the test with both pci-e cables