Cooler Master Elite 370 Case
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3
Crucial 64GB v4 2.5" 9.5mm SATA SSD
Antec TrueQuiet 120mm Case Fans
Cooler Master GX-Lite 600W PSU
Be-Quiet SHADOW ROCK PRO SR1 HeatSink
Seagate 500GB 7200 SATAII
Western Digital 250GB 7200 SATAII

The install went fine. The only thing that gave me trouble was the heatsink, which is too large and covered the first memory slot. It was also a paint to install and now it's in there, I think it's too loud for my needs. Technically quiet, but I need near silent. I'm going to see how the stock cooler sounds.

I have installed W7 Pro and installed all of the updates and service packs. Also updated to all the latest hardware drivers.

The whole system is running really slow. Much lower than my similar spec i5 machine. Boot up is sluggish, but actually using windows is dead slow. Right click can take up to 30/40 secs, browsing folders is slow, etc. Also web browsing is weird. Both FF and Chrome have issues. Chrome keeps crashing ShockWave, YouTube crashes a lot and when it does play a whole video it oddly cuts off the last 10-20secs as if it had finished.

I'm looking for advice on how to troubleshoot. What to look for first. Are there applications that can test everything?

Your help appreciated.

More about : build incredibly slow

October 28, 2012 7:50:17 PM

Not much to go on here, to be honest. You didn't mention graphics hardware by the way.

For starters , install CPUID HWMonitor and check your system temperatures and voltages.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2012 7:50:23 PM

I would test the computer with like nothing on it (CPU/RAM/PSU/HDD) and see how it boots and performs.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 28, 2012 8:53:41 PM

Thanks Guys. It's a weird one.

I have just opened up the case and moved the memory to two slots next to each other as one was touching the heatsink fan. I also re-seated all the cables. Also browsed around the bios, but couldn't see anything obvious.

On re-boot, I ran HWMonitor for 20mins. Here are the results

The only thing that looks alarming here is the SSD drive at 94 degrees.

Would this be the culprit?
October 28, 2012 9:04:58 PM

Oh sorry. I'm using the stock graphics on the motherboard. All I'm using this PC for is video editing. No gaming at all.
a c 143 B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2012 9:25:19 PM

Most likely a software problem

try installing windows again , then the mb drivers

does it behave the same?
October 29, 2012 6:29:31 AM

Is Windows installed on the SSD?
October 29, 2012 8:26:04 AM

Yes windows and pagefile on the SSD
October 29, 2012 9:39:12 AM

It may be worth installing Windows on one of the HDD's to see if this makes any difference.
October 29, 2012 10:17:00 AM

Well after playing around with the hardware a little this morning and applying some further software updates and patches, I think I've got it running better. It's still not what I would call fast though. I think i'm going to remove the Be-Quiet SHADOW ROCK PRO SR1 HeatSink as it covers one of the memory slots and isn't exactly quiet. I'm not too bothered about Overclocking. Was tempted to try it, but not if I have to loose a memory slot.

After a lot of thought I think I'm going to upgrade it further to get the kind of results I want. So another 2 x 8GB DDR3 sticks, a bigger SSD drive and a GeForce GTX 650 GFX card. No point in buying half a good computer I guess.

Thanks for taking the time to help
October 29, 2012 10:21:17 AM

Adding more hardware may not necessarily solve your problem. This system should be lighting fast in everyday use as is. The fact that it is sluggish point to a definite problem. I recommend you keep troubleshooting.