High Temps, Low Performance. New PC

33point3

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased the Dell XPS 8500, mostly for gaming. I added an aftermarket ASUS amd graphics card (HD 7870), for the improved cooling, due to the smaller case in the 8500. The games I usually play are Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Skyrim, and Witcher 2. I am having a lot of very frustrating issues, most games stutter pretty badly, even at moderate settings. FRAPS says that games are running at 60 fps, but it rarely feels like it due to the stutter. Even worse, regardless of settings, most games run my card at 65 to 72 degrees Celsius (according to gpu-z), which is pretty hot for a "cooler" GPU. I am using the current drivers and my system has very few background programs running. The part that frustrates me, is that I will lower my game settings (turn off AA, lower shader, shadow, texture settings) and the fps gets a very small boost, if at all, but the temps stay the same. I'm just confused what is going on here. The case is properly cooled and wired, all I have changed is adding the GPU, but Dell says it is a supported brand (they sell it themselves for this PC), so I am at a loss as to why games are performing so poorly and running so hot. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated!

System Specifications:
Dell CPS 8500
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Intel Core i7 3770 4 cores @ 3.4ghz (Up to 3.9ghz)
12 GB DDR3 ram
ASUS HD 7870 Direct CU II 2GB
Dell 460W PSU

Solution
72°C is actually very good for a small case like yours. I'm surprised it isn't climbing into 80s.

Also, don't reduce settings, that will not help and should not be acceptable (you bought the card to play at high settings!). I'd suggest enabling Vertical Sync first.

Also, that Dell Power supply unit seems low. Did it have two 6-pin connectors that you had to plug into the HD 7870 so it would function properly?
72°C is actually very good for a small case like yours. I'm surprised it isn't climbing into 80s.

Also, don't reduce settings, that will not help and should not be acceptable (you bought the card to play at high settings!). I'd suggest enabling Vertical Sync first.

Also, that Dell Power supply unit seems low. Did it have two 6-pin connectors that you had to plug into the HD 7870 so it would function properly?

Solution

Inductor

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012
I am sorry about your problems with high temperatures and low performance 33point3

Make sure you install the drivers for the new card. Put everything on default in the card's control panel and try the games again :)

The thing about those computers is, they are fitted with only the necessary amount of power, very limited expansion space and horrible air flow. They are mainstream computers. You can build something much better than that for $1999.

33point3

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Good to know about the temperatures! But the PSU is said to support it. I talked to Dell support and they said a gpu with power needs up to 225W is supported. Also, there are models of this XPS that use the 7870 and they don't come with a larger PSU, which is actually what informed my purchase of the 7870 in the first place.

Side note: I am very cautious of installing a new PSU, as when I first got the XPS, I did try and install a Corsair AX 850 (to use my old GTX 480 card). It literally blew up the motherboard. I had to replace the entire machine, and Dell support said to never replace the power supply, and I almost voided my warranty.

Well that's strange, power supply, especially Corsair AX 850 should not be able to blow up a motherboard (unless, of course, you connect 5V floppy connector to WiFi header, but that's a story for another time :D).

So are both PCIe power connectors connected? If they are, it's good.

Also, I highly recommend trying enabling Vertical Sync option in games. It should help.

33point3

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Yes, all the power cables are connected properly. I will try enabling vertical sync as well! So if my GPU is running at 72 degrees its fine right? I'm not doing any damage to the card or my PC?

Thanks for all the help!

33point3

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Great to know! Thanks for all the help!

And the PC was 1100$, but I didn't have the option to build a custom PC as it was a graduation gift, from my family, and I didn't want to have to ask for specific parts.