[New Build] Good gaming and editing PC under $600

qzyxya

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
this is my first build so i am a TOTAL noob at this.

What I'm thinking
AMD Phenom 955/655 (not sure which is better, same price) - $90
AM3+ Mobo 990x (ASrock) - $130 but with free 8gb ram (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157281)
GTX 560 Ti - $159 with rebate
I have no idea what PSU
Cooler Master HAF 912 (not sure about htis one either) - $50
standard optical drive - $10-20

Could someone tell me if this would make a good build for mostly editing in adobe premiere pro and after effects, with a little gaming on the side (BF3, skyrim, tf2, bfbc2, a bunch of othergames)? Would I benefit from a more expensive processor like the AMD 8 cores or an intel i5? I want the GTX 560 for the CUDA support, and because the TI version is available for only $160. I am thinking the 990x mobo because it has support for up to 32gb of ram, so I can upgrade to that in the future If I need that much (i've talked to a bunch of people who say after effects and 3d rendering can chew through ram really fast). Is there another option that is better for the money? Also could someone recommend a good case for a noob like me? This is my first build, and I'd like one with a good amount of cooling built in, and maybe a good amount of space so I can expand and fit more into it.

Would I be better off going on the intel boat? Pls someone reply.

malbluff

Honorable
AMD vs Intel depends on what application you're looking at. Adobe software uses multicore, so the more cores, the better, so although each AMD core is not as efficient, as Intel, as you get more cores, for your buck, the better AMD's can outperform Intel in video work. On the other hand, most gaming applications, are only single, or low core number applications, so Intel's more efficient cores whip AMD. It's slightly a question of which is more important.
As you rightly say, photo work eats RAM. Generally say start with 16GB (2x8GB), but work on the assumption, you are soon going to double that so need 32GB board.
Quad core often is "enough" for the amateur user (for professional use, it really needs i7, or 8 core AMD, even hex-core Intel), so i5 might be prefered, but you can get 8 core AMD for around same price.

qzyxya

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

Thanks for the feedback. How would the quad core amd phenom compare to the hexa core phenom, and how do the phenoms compare to the FX?
Also what about GPUs?
Could you recommend a psu or case?

malbluff

Honorable
Between the AMDs, the more cores, the better they handle stuff like video editing. The difference in gaming performance is quite small. When I say better, I don't mean, are able to do more things, I mean faster at doing things. How important that is, depends on how much you are doing, and how important speed is. Obviously, it's more important to the professional user.
In terms of graphics card, you don't actually NEED a lot. It's more about processor performance. CS6, though, can use a graphics card to speed up processes, effectively using the compute capabilities of some graphics cards, to "help out". Using Windows (MAC is different) CS6 utilises Mercury Playback Engine. That can use the CUDA capabilities of nVidia (or Quadro) cards, to provide graphic acceleration, so speeding processes up.
For psu, the required rating, of course, depends on the rest of the build. Generally good makes are Seasonic, Antec, XFX, PC Power&Cooling, Corsair, BeQuiet.
As to case, providing you aren't putting a lot in it that's producing heat, almost any decent quality (avoid really cheap ones) mid tower ATX will do. So much is personal preference, I usually say, pick a couple that you find attractive, and we can say if one is substantially better.

Avoid the older phenoms IMO

At that price range a build should look like

FX 6300
Asrock 970 extreme 4 , or Asus M5A97 evo
2 x4 gig of RAM , or a 16 gig kit if its affordable . The performance difference will be small

500 watt 80+ bronze or better rated power supply
Radeon 7770 graphics card

The antec ONE is a well made case with a front USB 3 port and good cable management

malbluff

Honorable

Wouldn't disagree on CPU, but OP asked for nVidia, specifically, for CUDA (for MPE)

qzyxya

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Is the new FX series cpu better? I was thinking the 8 core FX looks pretty sick for only $160. Is the 955 really that bad? What about the phenom ii x6 (6 core)?
Could I get away with a lower end graphics card like a nvidia 550 instead of a 560? I kind of want to get the 560 since its only 50 bucks more than the other cheaper ones and much better.
As far as processor goes, I think i'll get the 990x with the free 8gb ram. It's $130, so I could get it or the 970 and 8gb ram for $40 but then i would only save like 10 bucks. I think i want the 32gb support of the 990 for the future.

malbluff

Honorable

I did actually check, with Adobe, earlier today, because a similar issue was raised, on another thread, and was told: Adobe CS uses Mercury Playback Engine, with Windows (MAC is different). MPE uses CUDA, specifically, for graphic acceleration. So whilst Radeon graphics will work, with Adobe, in other respects, it cannot use them, for graphic acceleration, so will be slower. The MAC version, now similarly utilises Radeon as well, so it's not an issue, for anyone using MAC.

malbluff

Honorable

The latest FX's aren't bad. 6300 and above are quite good with photographic work, where high thread count is important. For gaming, which is rarely multi-threaded, Intel Dual core can beat Phenom, even with overclocking. If you want photo capability, and no gaming, AMD is the way to go. If you want both, the choice is more debatable. There, i5 may be better, if that is within budget. If it's not, you may as well go with something like Phenom ll x4 965 BE, and you can overclock to get at least reasonable performance, in both video, and gaming.

qzyxya

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

How do the phenom x6s compare to the phenom x4 and the 6300s? Or to the i5s? If its really worth the extra ~$100 to get an i5 I'll go for it, but I'm not sure it is.

qzyxya

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Will the intel i5 with 560 be that much better for gaming than say a FX6300? I know it has better gaming preformance, but isn't that much more based on the GPU? Like Wouldn't I be better off investing in a cheaper amd cpu and then putting the money i would have spent on a i5 on a better gpu? Also, I found the 8 core amd fx 8120 for only $140. Will this preform well in gaming with the GTX 560 (or 560 ti)?
Also does Adobe After Effects CS6 benefit from 8 cores? IE will it use all 8 of them when rendering? Would there be that much of a difference between 6 and 8 core?

I just want to know what I should invest in

malbluff

Honorable
It is certainly true, in most games, that GPU performance is far more significant, than pure processor performance, using like for like GPU's and i5-3570K will achieve higher framerates the FX-6300. However, if using an FX-6300, rather than i5, frees up funds, to facilitate a BETTER GPU, with it, that may well give better, overall, gaming performance, and will have improved video editing performance.
If funds are available, though, to get i5-3570K AND a good graphics card, that IS probably the best way, to go, unless you are doing a lot of demanding video work.

qzyxya

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

Thanks, that FX 6300 sounds like a good bet for me. The only thing is, the FX 8 cores are only a little bit more expensive. Do they preform about the same, but just with more cores? If so I think i might get that instead, to speed up video work.

qzyxya

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
I read that article, it looks like the new 'piledriver' cpus aren't much better than the older ones. Would a 8 core FX 8120 be good for $140? I know the 8150 is the same thing but with higher stock clock speeds (i can obviously overclock them both higher).

qzyxya

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
What PSU should I get? I know next to nothing about them, only that I will probably need more than 500w, but idk. I might be able to use the PSU from my old computer. I'm probably going to use the HDD from my old computer and not buy a new windows 7 for $100.

mrdowntownkiller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower. ($44.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155. ($79.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157302

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155. ($129.99)
http: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775

GPU: XFX HD 7850 1GB GDDR5 256 bit. ($159.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150617

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 . ($41.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144

HDD: Western Digital RE3 WD7502ABYS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache. ($59.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236257&name=Internal-Hard-Drives

PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO 550W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified. ($59.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X. ($16.99)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151244

TOTAL : $594

malbluff

Honorable
Certainly wouldn't disagree with anything in above build. That is very good power supply. It's not modular, so, if that were important to OP, a Rosewill Hive might be a reasonable alternative, or a PC Power&Cooling Silencer MKlll 500w would be more than adequate, although Newegg do neither.
If buying, from Newegg, if may be better to get an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 mobo, which they are currently offering with free 8GB of RAM, so, whilst the board is more expensive, it actually works out cheaper. The Extreme 4 would allow for the use of an unlocked processor, for overclocking, and gives full support, for the addition of 2nd GPU, in crossfire. OP may not be thinking of either, at the moment, but better features, for less cost, has got to be a bit of a no-brainer.

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

This looks fine except the OP wanted nvidia and quad core. He also will reuse his own HDD so I would nix the HDD, switch to the gpu a 650TI or the OPs 560TI, and Up the cpu to an i5.

@OP if you reuse your hard drive depending on your copy of win 7 you may need a new 1. An OEM disk is linked to the system. If you have disks you may be fine you may not but a new HDD vs reusing should not matter.

qzyxya

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

again thanks for the fedback guys

Can't I just uninstall it from the old system and put the same exact hdd with same windows 7 into the new system? Im not going to use the old system.
And the new 650 ti is supposed to be really bad, especially compared to a 560 ti. Thanks for recommending those psus, I was totally lost.

actually which of these is better
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031 - cooler master psu
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703035 - silencer mk iii pc power

Would the vishera (whatever its called with the new piledriver from trinity architecture or w/e) fx6300 6 core be noticeably faster/better than the older phenoms like 955 and 965? How would the 8 core FX 8120 compare to it? I found both the 6300 and 8120 for $140 and the phenom for $90. I know the phenom is supposed to be slower and older but is it realistically $50 slower?

malbluff

Honorable

An OEM version of Windows is linked to the motherboard, on which it was first installed. New mobo, new Windows. A retail version (basically twice the price), can be used, on up to 3 motherboards.
GTX650Ti is a step DOWN from GTX560Ti
GTX660 is a step UP from GTX560ti, for gaming, but has slightly lower performance, for something like CS6
GTX660Ti is two steps UP from GTX560Ti gaming, plus slightly better in something like CS6.