Should I RMA due to coil whine? (7970)

Maneens

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
So I just built a new computer, and after multiple tests it seems I'm getting coil whine coming from my new Gigabyte Ghz Edition 7970.

Here's what I've done:

1. Swapped out current HX650 PSU for my previous TX750 (which was silent) --> Coil whine was still present
2. Swapped out new 7970 for previous GTX 260 (which is usually silent other than fan) --> Coil whine was much quieter (only audible with side panel off and with ear near case)
3. Put my 7970 into my brother's computer (which is normally silent) --> same coil whine coming from 7970
4. Put my brother's 5870 into my computer --> very quiet coil whine/not noticeable under normal conditions

As a result, I'm thinking that while the coil whine is louder in my 7970, it's due to an interaction between my mobo and GPU. I have a bad feeling that even if I RMA this 7970 and get a new one, I'll still get the coil whine; the only other thing I can think to do is just run without a GPU and use the Intel HD 4000 graphics and see if I hear anything (but at this point I'm pretty confident it's the GPU).

Should I just stick with this card? I've already had an RMA approved through newegg but I'm not sure if I should go through with it. It's just frustrating having built an entirely new PC that runs great but whenever I boot up a game I get coil whine.

Relevant components:
i5-3570k
AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 Ghz Edition (factory OC to 1100mHz core clock): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125439
Corsair HX650 PSU

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Coil whine is reduced or not heard at all with solid state chokes. Even some companies that claim they use them, you may still hear it. If the trouble to RMA it back to newegg is a pain, then don't.

If it really bothers you, then keep the box it came with, ask Newegg for an RMA sticker, Not sure if they pay shipping. Slap that on the box and they will even probably take your credit card and put a hold on it while they ship you out another card if you really demand it.

I have the original 1000Mhz edition of that same GPU in crossfire and run them at 1100, no coil whine at all. However, the fans themselves can get a bit noisy. Try using MSI Afterburner to create a flat fan curve all the way up to 90 degrees and see what happens. Don't let the card get too hot though.

Maneens

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I've actually had the RMA approved from newegg already (shipping is paid for and all that). Also, sorry for being naive but how would changing the fan curve help reduce coil whine?

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I think by customizing the speed of the fans at certain temperature may help reduce the noise. Did newegg tell you to send it in and then you have to wait or are they going to send you another card in the process?

It won't but it will make sure that it's actually coil whine you're hearing and not something else. A flat fan curve will have the same fan RPM at 30 centigrade as it does at 70 centigrade. Thus, you'd be removing the fans from the equation.

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
My new card now has screeching sounds while gaming. Newegg wants me to prove that before they start an RMA so I'm dealing with HIS now. Its more of a screeching noise while running games, not the fans. So yeh we'll see how it goes.