Crownable

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
I just bought a new ati radeon hd 6870 and requires 2 pcie power connectors but i have 2 on the same wire.. Is this going to cause any trouble?

Frank

drums101

Distinguished
are you saying the wire looks like this? ----< ? where it splits off into two connectors? If so I think you are getting the PCIE power connectors and the CPU power connectors mixed up...count the number of pins on the connectors if it is 4 or 2 each its a motherboard connector....can you tell us what power supply you have? your psu might not have the needed PCIE power cables

Some PSU manufacturers include both an 8-pin and 6-pin PCIe connector on the same wire. While this is a poor design decision, it will only be a problem on very high end cards and dual GPU cards. The 6870 does not draw enough power for this to be an issue.

drums101

Distinguished
^^ I have never seen a PSU like that lol...can you link me to one or give a brand that sometimes does that...I am always interested in learning about stuff I have never seen before

I thought it was odd too until someone posted this exact same question a couple of weeks ago. It was the Coolermaster 800 silent gold. The design decision was nonsensical and probably cost more than just using 6+2 pin connectors throughout like SeaSonic does.

The 6 pin connector is just 2 (or optionally, 3) +12 volt wires with 3 ground wires. The 8 pin connector is just 3 +12 volt wires with 5 ground wires. The 6 pin has to stably deliver 75 watts, the 8 pin 150 watts. Together this is a maximum draw of 225 watts which is close to the maximum allowed by the ATX specification.

drums101

Distinguished
hmm thats interesting I didnt know coolermaster did that..thanks for the lesson I will have to look into that psu lol

the only advantage I can see to that is now there is only one cable going to your graphics card...kinda nice actually

and also now that I think about it I actually have a psu like that in one of my boxes haha...its really just the two 6 pin pcie connectors sleeved together though

Having the cables sleeved together is a bit different than having one cable terminate into the other

drums101

Distinguished
yea I didnt mean it was like what you were describing..I meant it was a similar situation of what the OP was describing I would assume the chances of getting two cables sleeved together are much higher then having the cables terminate into eachother

nice system btw..that thing must haul ass

Ah yeah I see what you mean. I would certainly hope that's the case

I like my rig right where it is. If it starts hauling ass that means I've got to go and catch it; and then I have to plug everything back in.

drums101

Distinguished
haha thats a good one lol....how do you like the corsair 800d? is your 7970's air cooled? if so does the case do a decent enough job cooling them? I was looking into getting the case gonna watercool my next cpu but wanted to stick with aircooled gpu's was just worried the case wasnt gonna have enough airflow for them....sure does look sharp though (The case)

drums101

Distinguished
so the hot gpu's are not due to the case? I really do love the case too it looks soo nice but I was just worried that it wouldnt have the best aircooling setup

I love the 800D, it's quite literally the black tie of cases. The only thing I'm not super satisfied with is the door on the hotswappable hard drive bay, it feels a little cheap and gets in the way sometimes.

The 7970s are both air cooled and running at 1100 Mhz. They can get bloody hot though when running DirectCompute/OpenCL apps but gaming doesn't get them too hot. I have thick headphones so I just created a rather steep fancurve in MSI Afterburner and that seems to cool them well enough. I plan to replace the thermal paste with AS5 when I can be bothered. I tried once but the damn Windforce3 cooler seems to be welded on.

The 800D has boatloads of airflow and more can easily be added.

The 7970s are power hungry mofos, the TDP is 230 watts at reference clocks, much higher when overclocked. The GeForce 600 series is a bit better but not by much.

drums101

Distinguished
yea I am just concerned with the lack of fans in the 800d there really is only one intake fan on the bottom thats it...the top you would use for a rad as exhaust and the rear is standard exhaust.....the intake fan on the bottom doesnt even intake into the main chamber it just goes into the psu chamber...I really love the case I just feel that the cooling is not the best

The whole bottom of the case is a filtered air intake. There's tons of airflow when I crank my H100 up to full blast

drums101

Distinguished
yea I think I am gonna take the plunge into the 800d for my next build....I am due lol the last time I built a gaming rig for myself was 2009....just gotta get the funds together......

There's also the 650D which is a little bit shorter and $100 cheaper

drums101

Distinguished
yea but my motto is go big or go home haha...thats why I havent built a new rig in a while..I am waiting until I am in a position where I can drop alot of money and get top of the line components. I like the full size 800d... currently I have a thermaltake armor+ so to me the more space the better

Ah yes, that's exactly what I thought. It would be bad to use that on a very high end card but most high end cards have both a 6 and an 8 pin connector. You're good to go though with a 6870 though because in theory that thing should only need one 6 pin connector.

Crownable

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

Well atleast that's good to know =) Thanks for the replies everyone!