Solved

700$ Build- Help Needed

I have not yet build the computer but so far I have these parts picked out:

Case : Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...
HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
MOBO: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Wifi Card: Rosewill RNX-N250PC2 (RNWD-12001) IEEE 802.11b/g/n, PCI, Wireless-N Adapter (2T2R) Up to 300Mbps Data
GPU: MSI R7770-2PMD1GD5/OC Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX
PSU: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-550-PCAR-E3 550W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL
Extra Fans for cooling: Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case Fan
CPU:AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4170FRGUBOX
Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM


First This totals around 635$. My max budget is 725$ around. I was thinking of upgrading the 7770 to a Superclocked MSI 7850. Do you think it is worth the money? My other option is switching out the FX 4170 for a 4300 and getting a better case. Also my mobo states it has like 3 chassis fan connectors or something like that. My case has 5 fans with the extra 2 I will buy so will I be able to connect all the fans? or do I have to just stay with the three that came w/ case. Is there any other uses of the last 100$ you guys can think of? Thanks.
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build needed
  1. speakerman9529 said:
    I have not yet build the computer but so far I have these parts picked out:

    Case : Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...
    HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    Wifi Card: Rosewill RNX-N250PC2 (RNWD-12001) IEEE 802.11b/g/n, PCI, Wireless-N Adapter (2T2R) Up to 300Mbps Data
    GPU: MSI R7770-2PMD1GD5/OC Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX
    PSU: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-550-PCAR-E3 550W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL
    Extra Fans for cooling: Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case Fan
    CPU:AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4170FRGUBOX
    Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM


    First This totals around 635$. My max budget is 725$ around. I was thinking of upgrading the 7770 to a Superclocked MSI 7850. Do you think it is worth the money? My other option is switching out the FX 4170 for a 4300 and getting a better case. Also my mobo states it has like 3 chassis fan connectors or something like that. My case has 5 fans with the extra 2 I will buy so will I be able to connect all the fans? or do I have to just stay with the three that came w/ case. Is there any other uses of the last 100$ you guys can think of? Thanks.


    The 4300 IS better, and the 7850 is definitely worth it!
  2. CaptainTom said:
    The 4300 IS better, and the 7850 is definitely worth it!


    I can only do one upgrade either the FX 4170 to the FX 4300 or the 7770 to a 7850. I will use this mostly for gaming so idk which one to do... Also any benchmarks on the 4300??
  3. Best answer
    You could do better honestly. Check out my $650 build here:
    http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module146695821
    For around the same price, although you don't get the adapter or the large amounts of ram, you get a better CPU (Much better in fact), a MUCH BETTER 7870, a better motherboard and a better more reliable PSU.

    You should note that NO ONE, needs 16GB as of late, 8GB is perfectly fine and if you want more you can always add later.
  4. Hmmm. True your build looks nice but I am looking around at Amazon and Newegg. and I can't find 7870's for 230$ or FX 4300 for that price.... :( If only I could then it is a better build
  5. Well It stated the XFX in the website that comes with a custom heatsink. I was referring to that price.
  6. Alright Im looking into it right now, Thanks for the info.
  7. speakerman9529 said:
    I can only do one upgrade either the FX 4170 to the FX 4300 or the 7770 to a 7850. I will use this mostly for gaming so idk which one to do... Also any benchmarks on the 4300??


    Then I suggest you get a Phenom II x4 and a 7850 2gb, or a 7870 (Some are below $220).
  8. speakerman9529 said:


    LOL yes! No offense btw, but I love that noob question. ;)
  9. LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
    Item #: N82E16827106289
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    $15.99


    Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...
    Item #: N82E16811147153
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    -$10.00 Instant
    $59.99
    $49.99


    Western Digital WD Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Item #: N82E16822136771
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    Recover Your Data(expand for options)
    -$10.00 Instant
    $69.99
    $59.99


    ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    Item #: N82E16813131872
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    $94.99


    Rosewill RNX-N250PC2 (RNWD-12001) IEEE 802.11b/g/n, PCI, Wireless-N Adapter (2T2R) Up to 300Mbps Data Rates, 64/128 bit WEP, ...
    Item #: N82E16833166054
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    -$10.00 Instant
    $29.99
    $19.99


    XFX Core Edition FX-787A-CNFC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support ...
    Item #: N82E16814150604
    Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
    $239.99


    COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-550-PCAR-E3 550W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
    Item #: N82E16817171038
    Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
    -$10.00 Instant
    $64.99
    $54.99


    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
    Item #: N82E16820231428
    Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
    $39.99


    AMD FX-4300 Vishera 3.8GHz (4.0GHz) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4300WMHKBOX
    Item #: N82E16819113287
    Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
  10. Should a spend a little more money on the PSU or some extra fans for the case?
  11. You don't need more fans... Your MB is still not so great specially for the price, you could get the FX-6300 So I don't get why you wouldn't push for it, your PSU is not very good for the price too, specially in reliability standpoint the older Extreme/GX series Cooler master PSUs sucked You could get a 500GB for that 250GB price.

    I pretty much suggested you a build in my guide that could give you way more performance for a similar/lower price. I don't see why not go that route... Did you not check the link out at all?
  12. Best answer selected by speakerman9529.
  13. Good luck!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product