Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is a solid Graphics Card for 100-150 that will work on my CPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 2, 2012 12:22:32 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Before Christmas BUDGET RANGE: 100-150$

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:Gaming(Dayz, Battlefield 3, Steam games etc..)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: nVidia Geforce 6150SE nForce 430 ( I have determined this is just incapable of playing games at all, it says internal psu 220w, (100-240v)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Windows Home Premium 7, HP s5747c, 4 gig RAM, AMD Athlon II X2 255, Motherboard: M2N68-LA

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Nothing specific, as long as it's safe.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preferences.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / No / Maybe (To be honest don't know what this means.)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Adjustable, but 1360x768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I just want to be able to run games at a decent graphics level, I'm not as interested in graphics as I am in performance.
September 2, 2012 12:35:56 AM

I've read that the HD 7750 is good, would that work on my cpu?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 12:55:20 AM

What type of CPU do you have? 220w does not leave a lot of room for a GPU. So 7750 is probably the best you can do without buying a new power supply. Regardless I would still recommend a power supply upgrade. Once you put a heavy load on your PC like you will with BF3 you will be cutting it close on wattage.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 2, 2012 1:02:58 AM

What would you recommend for a new PSU? If I upgraded the PSU would the 7750 be able to run BF3? Or should I go up a small step and buy something a little better? and if I did what would you recommend?
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 1:03:52 AM

7750, on a 220w PSU? That's a recipe for disaster. Not even the 7750 uses so little power that a 220w PSU is safe. To be sure, you could check your 12v amperage for that PSU, but I'm quite sure that it needs an upgrade if you get any half-decent discrete graphics card. A CPU upgrade is also ideal. Athlon II x2s are very low end.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 1:12:13 AM

Yeah I wouldn't recommend even using that PSU in the first place, or the HP build for that matter, but it should work in theory. 65w CPU and a 45w max GPU. I bet his whole system doesn't draw more than 170w at peak load.

If you can swing it, grab a 400w PSU of decent quality (Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, Enermax/LEPA) and a HD7770.
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 1:15:58 AM

Okay, thanks, so HD 7770 and a 400w PSU from one of those brands? Got it. So what is a good CPU you recommend?
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 1:16:27 AM

stickg1 said:
Yeah I wouldn't recommend even using that PSU in the first place, or the HP build for that matter, but it should work in theory. 65w CPU and a 45w max GPU. I bet his whole system doesn't draw more than 170w at peak load.

If you can swing it, grab a 400w PSU of decent quality (Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, Enermax/LEPA) and a HD7770.


Don't forget that the memory, motherboard, and storage all use considerable amounts of power, among other devices such as the mouse and speakers.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 1:17:43 AM

piko567 said:
Okay, thanks, so HD 7770 and a 400w PSU from one of those brands? Got it. So what is a good CPU you recommend?


Seasonic is the best, but is generally the most expensive. XFX is also on-par with Seasonic because they are basically just re-branded Seasonic PSUs. If you upgrade your CPU, then I recommend a Phenom II x4. Newegg has the Phenom II x4 965 for $110 if you like that price (I do).
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 1:26:47 AM

So I'm looking at a HD7770 for about 140$? A corsair 500w 60$? and a Phenom II x4 965 for 110$? 310$? Does that sound about right? Also do you know of any other specs that I need to check if I'm going to get the 7770? Like certain amount of slots or something?
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 1:29:13 AM

Well, there are cheaper 7770s that you could go for if you're not comfortable with that price. There are also cheaper, but still good enough PSUs too. Can't really get any cheaper on the CPU without making significant compromises.

Your case should have plenty of expansion slots, the CPU is a drop-in replacement for your current one, and the PSU is a drop-in replacement for your current one unless your case uses a different PSU form factor.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 1:34:06 AM

blazorthon said:
Seasonic is the best, but is generally the most expensive. XFX is also on-par with Seasonic because they are basically just re-branded Seasonic PSUs. If you upgrade your CPU, then I recommend a Phenom II x4. Newegg has the Phenom II x4 965 for $110 if you like that price (I do).


Ah but remember, its an HP OEM board, probably has a max TDP below the 125w a PIIX4 uses.

And I did consider the other components wattage, that's why I said 170w and not 110w (65+45).

He uses a GT430 now and those can suck anywhere from 40-75w depending on load.

EDIT: I misread his first post, thought he had a 430, he doesn't.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 1:45:25 AM

There's something else he failed to mention. His PC is a "slimline" meaning low profile. So cooling is practically non-existent and will need a low profile capable GPU. That makes a huge difference....

blazor heres a link of his box: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&...

and here is what it says about his mobo:

TDP: 95W
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

NOTE:Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard.
AMD Phenom II Quad-Core
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core
AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+)
AMD Phenom Triple-Core (T) 8xxx series (AM2+)
AMD Athlon X4
AMD Athlon X3
AMD Athlon X2 (B) (AM2+)

Sigh, I'm too tired for this one, good luck blazor! I gotta go watch my Clemson Tigers.
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 1:52:19 AM

If you could help me out tommorow that would be greatly appreciated
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 2:04:32 AM

stickg1 said:
There's something else he failed to mention. His PC is a "slimline" meaning low profile. So cooling is practically non-existent and will need a low profile capable GPU. That makes a huge difference....

blazor heres a link of his box: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&...

and here is what it says about his mobo:

TDP: 95W
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

NOTE:Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard.
AMD Phenom II Quad-Core
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core
AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+)
AMD Phenom Triple-Core (T) 8xxx series (AM2+)
AMD Athlon X4
AMD Athlon X3
AMD Athlon X2 (B) (AM2+)

Sigh, I'm too tired for this one, good luck blazor! I gotta go watch my Clemson Tigers.


http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Quad-Core-Processor-HD...

Not all Phenom II x4s have 125W TDPs. This is a 95W model. There are several 95W models. Given that you said that this board only supports AM2+ CPUs and it is an AM3 CPU, it probably isn't a viable option, but the point remains.

There are low profile Radeon 7750s. I'll check if there are low profile 7770s.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 2:07:47 AM

piko567 said:
If you could help me out tommorow that would be greatly appreciated

Well I did find one low profile 7750, by one of my preferred brands too:
SAPPHIRE 100357LP Radeon HD 7750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here is another option, these are pretty good, I have a similar one in my backup machine

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for CPU:

IDK, I feel like an AM2+ board should take an AM3 but I'm not 100% sure. If it does then look for the elusive Zosma 960T. Otherwise settle for a Athlon II X4 RANA.

This will work for a PSU:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 2:10:13 AM

blazorthon said:
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-Quad-Core-Processor-HD...

Not all Phenom II x4s have 125W TDPs. This is a 95W model. There are several 95W models. Given that you said that this board only supports AM2+ CPUs and it is an AM3 CPU, it probably isn't a viable option, but the point remains.

There are low profile Radeon 7750s. I'll check if there are low profile 7770s.


Yeah I mean he could get an old PII X4 840 or something. Which is basically a higher binned Rana. It has not L3 cache. I just don't know what he can put in there if it absolutely has to be an AM2+ chip. The Phenom I's sucked.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 2:10:35 AM

stickg1 said:
Well I did find one low profile 7750, by one of my preferred brands too:
SAPPHIRE 100357LP Radeon HD 7750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here is another option, these are pretty good, I have a similar one in my backup machine

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for CPU:

IDK, I feel like an AM2+ board should take an AM3 but I'm not 100% sure. If it does then look for the elusive Zosma 960T. Otherwise settle for a Athlon II X4 RANA.

This will work for a PSU:

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


AM3 CPUs support AM2+ socket motherboards. The problem is that not all AM2+ socket motherboards (especially OEM models) have a BIOS update for AM3 CPU compatibility.

Also, the 6670 is a huge step-down from the 7750 in performance while consuming more power.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 2:11:07 AM

Honestly OP, you might be better off saving your money and buying a whole new computer later.

EDIT: Wow, same basic conclusion lol.
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 2:11:31 AM

stickg1 said:
Yeah I mean he could get an old PII X4 840 or something. Which is basically a higher binned Rana. It has not L3 cache. I just don't know what he can put in there if it absolutely has to be an AM2+ chip. The Phenom I's sucked.


There are a few AM2+ Phenom II CPUs. I'm having trouble finding 95W variants of them.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 2:13:28 AM

blazorthon said:
AM3 CPUs support AM2+ socket motherboards. The problem is that not all AM2+ socket motherboards (especially OEM models) have a BIOS update for AM3 CPU compatibility.

Also, the 6670 is a huge step-down from the 7750 in performance while consuming more power.


I agree on the huge step down, just showing some LP options.

Honestly OP, I want to tell you just to overhaul your whole rig but you came here looking for a $150 solution and I just don't see one. Can we get some more budget?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 2:14:29 AM

blazorthon said:
There are a few AM2+ Phenom II CPUs. I'm having trouble finding 95W variants of them.

They're older and becoming more scarce, they have the old stepping too. Did you try ebay? I'm lazy, on the couch watching football ;) 
m
0
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 2:15:46 AM

stickg1 said:
They're older and becoming more scarce, they have the old stepping too. Did you try ebay? I'm lazy, on the couch watching football ;) 


The old Phenom II stepping is still better than the newest Phenom stepping, so I think that it's at least a decent compromise if an AM3 CPU with the C3 stepping can't be used. I haven't tried Ebay yet.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 2:26:47 AM

If I was in your shoes, I'd either get the 7750 or the 7770 and a ~400W PSU and see how that works first. If you still find yourself needing more, black friday is in a few months and by then you may have some more money to spend.

Whatever you buy, I'd recommend thinking about using that part in a new build. As in right now you're just upgrading the OEM pc, but overtime you'll end up replacing it with parts you've bought (keeping things you see fit, HDD, dvd drive, case, etc).
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 2:32:22 AM

I'll have budget of a little more soon, so if I were to buy let's say the 7750, the corsair 430x, and one of those mother boards, could I build a computer from scratch later on, like summer time ish, and just reuse these^ ? But until summer, my options are upto around 250$ ish for all of it
m
0
l
September 2, 2012 2:38:42 AM

If OP is running a slimline box, normal ATX psu wont probably fit inside the casing though.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2012 2:43:22 AM

Actually, just took a look at the PC you have. You would have to get one of those low profile cards as well as a small form factor psu.

Edit: It's not really worth investing money into this machine, but if you're set on playing some pc games and that machine is your only option, just go with that low profile 7750.
m
0
l
!