Q9300Y TO I7 3770,WORTH UPGRADE?

peenfloy

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Hello,

I am considering buying a new PC, I have an HP pavilion elite M9300t with a Q9300 processor, 1GB xfx Radeon HD 7750 GDDR5 video card,4GB ram. I am considering buying a Dell XPS 8500 with an i7 3770, 1GB AMD radeon 7570, 16GB ram 2tb HDD. I like to play MMO's and battlefield 3 and any future games that may come out of that type. Is the Dell that much of a better PC at $900, or should I hold off for something that will offer a more significant improvement. I would like something that would be future proof for at least the next 2-3 years, and I have already replaced my HDD once, my PSU,my OS and just recently the video card, now I am hearing clicking from HDD again so may need to replace again soon. I am not opposed to building my own(would be 1st time) with some advice or pointers,where to look. Thank you for your help.

peenfloy

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks for the reply, I took your advice and edited my post. I have noticed a huge difference with my recent addition of the new video card, had a 512mb card before.., just wondered if it really is worth it to upgrade now, is an i7 with 16gb that much better than my quad core with 4gb? or should I just hold out since I've been doing okay with it even though I have had to put some money into it over the 4 years i have had it. thanks again, feels great to have some advice.

williamjuly2003

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Build your own computer! Don't buy a premade computer they are way over priced.

You could get Ivy Bridge I5 3.4 GHz and a decent motherboard for about 300 dollars.

Personally I recommend upgrading but if your happy with your rig right now. I'd wait intels Haswell processors to hit early next year.

Also you don't need to buy a whole new rig. You can reuse parts from your current computer as long as it isn't OEM parts.

peenfloy

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012

my system has 4 slots for memory, each being used up by a 1gb stick for total of 4gb, can i buy two 4 gb sticks and only use two slots instead of four 2 gb sticks? what are pros and cons to that? thank you again so very much. ,also is it worth is to buy the ram which is supposed to be faster ie. 3200 vs 6400 just as an example, I think my pc uses ddr2 pc-2 ram.

Wolfshadw

Titan
All of this assumes you are running a 64-bit Operating System and given the price of DDR2 memory, I DO NOT recommend making these changes. The comments given here are strictly for your information.

my system has 4 slots for memory, each being used up by a 1gb stick for total of 4gb, can i buy two 4 gb sticks and only use two slots instead of four 2 gb sticks? what are pros and cons to that?

No. Your HP system limits you to only 2GB per memory slot. If it were possible, the pro would be you could later add more RAM without having to replace your existing RAM (as you would have to now).

also is it worth is to buy the ram which is supposed to be faster ie. 3200 vs 6400 just as an example, I think my pc uses ddr2 pc-2 ram.

Unfortunately, your PC only accepts two types of RAM:

DDR2-667 (PC2-5300)
DDR2-800 (PC2-6400)

If you were to replace all of your RAM it would be wise to go with a set of 4x2GB DDR2-800 RAM. Generally speaking, it doesn't hurt to go with the fastest RAM your motherboard will accept.

-Wolf sends