Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Builing a Maya rig.

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 29, 2012 12:31:25 AM

So a buddy put me to the task of building a Maya rig for him. He animates for a living.

He initially gave me a budget of $1500-1800...which i have stretched to as of right now $1919. This seems to be the absolute ceiling for the budget. I've tried to push him $300 more for the intel 3930/X79 combo but no go.

USA, no overclock(stability is key), building this week, and OS is checked off(thank you staples for $40 win 8 pro)

This is what is currently in the cart...looking for any input:

Lite on burner $15.99
Corsair Carbide 300R $74.99
WD Black 1TB 64MB 6GB/s $109.99
Corsair 850w tx850m $139.99
Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 1600 $154.99
Gigabyte GA Z77X UD5H $179.99
i7-3770k $319.99
FirePro W7000 $769.99
CM Hyper 212 $29.99
Samsung 830 128GB $108.99

Shipping $14.40 (Zip 97501)

Total $1919.30


Thanks in advance.

More about : builing maya rig

October 29, 2012 1:32:52 AM

None of the links work.

All in all, the build is great. PSU is a bit overkill though, you can probably get away with 600-650w.

You can also drop the 212 EVO since you won't be OC-ing anyway.
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 4:46:30 AM

yeah for some reason the links add girble in of the real link x.O

yeah on the psu i was thinking down the road. what if he comes into some money and wants to add say a maximus setup...then thinking about that....if he has the money to get a maximus he can upgrade the psu lol

as far as the 212 i'm still leaning towards it. the stress from use is gonna put wear on cpu and over time that can make a dif. why not save a few degrees in the long run for $30. and from what i've read the firepro's like to put more stress on the cpu than the quadro's.

so after your post and some others this is now where i'm at:

Lite on burner $15.99
Corsair Carbide 300R $74.99
WD Black 1TB 64MB 6GB/s $109.99 ---WD 600GB 10k Velociraptor $180
Corsair 850w tx850m $139.99----Coarsair 650tx $90
Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 1600 $154.99
Gigabyte GA Z77X UD5H $179.99
i7-3770k $319.99
FirePro W7000 $769.99 ----valleyseek.com(they seem ok...dunno for sure) $730
CM Hyper 212 $29.99
Samsung 830 128GB $108.99----Samsung 830 256GB $170

Which puts me at around $1956 shipped. And if he wants to move closer I can move the corsair carbide to an antec three hundreds....nothing like getting dialed in :D  thanks again.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 29, 2012 4:54:54 AM

It escapes me why you would choose an expensive z77 and a k processor if you're not going to overclock. That's just money down the drain then
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 4:56:38 AM

650w would still be enough.
Only way you'll need more than that is if he does SLI/Crossfire, which he won't since this is not a gaming system.

Do you really need a Velociraptor though? The way I see it, the HDD will just serve as a storage drive while the programs/apps/OS will be in the SSD.
If so, a high RPM HDD won't really make much of a difference, you can go for a 2TB 5400RPM Caviar Green.

And yes, I guess the 212 would be a good investment. It's cheap anyway.
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 4:58:26 AM

Don't get a velociraptor, a WD Caviar Black will be plenty fast, especially if you're using an SSD for your OS and programs. Not to mention cheaper and a larger storage volume.

The Velociraptor's time is over, don't buy into the 10,000 RPM hype.
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 4:59:14 AM

yeah i'll probably move to the 3770 non k. details x.O

as far as the mobo thats actually the cheapest i could find for multiple pcie(adding a card) and # of sata3's...
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 5:03:17 AM

i was just going with what i've seen from some autodesk maya recommendations....i'll be honest i'm not fully sure how maya feels or handles. but if it has to move large amounts of data etc time is money. was thinking the ssd for os/programs and maya temp files and the velociraptor for the bulk of data.

again i'm not 100% sure but i'm all ears...

thanks for the posts guys.
m
0
l
Anonymous
October 29, 2012 5:09:48 AM

ahhh you WANT a raptor in a maya 3d build; not for storage but to use a a rendering/scratch disk. using the SSD for a render/scratch will decrease its life. and a raptor is FAR superior over a WD black for doing that:

get a raptor and then a big honking "green" drive for storage.
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 5:17:15 AM

Anonymous said:
ahhh you WANT a raptor in a maya 3d build; not for storage but to use a a rendering/scratch disk. using the SSD for a render/scratch will decrease its life. and a raptor is FAR superior over a WD black for doing that:
http://media.bestofmicro.com/B/A/337366/original/desktop_performance.png
get a raptor and then a big honking "green" drive for storage.


perfect. thanks for that.

but that brings more questions x.O options options....which is best:

1) samsung 256GB 830+wd 600GB velociraptor
2) samsung 128GB 830 times 2(one os, one scratch disc)+1TB wd black
3) save money samsung 128GB+wd 600gb velociraptor(or maybe even go for the 1TB velociraptro)

thanks again :D 

edit: just read the text under the pic x.O so go 128Gb ssd+velociraptor 600GB+2TB greed?
m
0
l
Anonymous
October 29, 2012 5:31:01 AM

glockjs said:
perfect. thanks for that.

but that brings more questions x.O options options....which is best:

1) samsung 256GB 830+wd 600GB velociraptor
2) samsung 128GB 830 times 2(one os, one scratch disc)+1TB wd black
3) save money samsung 128GB+wd 600gb velociraptor(or maybe even go for the 1TB velociraptro)

thanks again :D 

edit: just read the text under the pic x.O so go 128Gb ssd+velociraptor 600GB+2TB greed?

yes!

what it is being used for is "temporary data" so whatever is being written to it can be over written time and time again; unlike an SSD.
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 5:48:00 AM

Anonymous said:
yes!

what it is being used for is "temporary data" so whatever is being written to it can be over written time and time again; unlike an SSD.



ok..now i feel like i'm getting somewhere :D  and yet another questions comes to mind..

so what about an ssd such as the intel 520 thats rated for 5k vs the velociraptor for a scratch/render drive?
m
0
l
Anonymous
October 29, 2012 8:37:09 AM

glockjs said:
ok..now i feel like i'm getting somewhere :D  and yet another questions comes to mind..

so what about an ssd such as the intel 520 thats rated for 5k vs the velociraptor for a scratch/render drive?

to over exaggerate; he would be changing the SSD as much as he changes his underwear.

an SSD's life expectancy is measured in writes to the disk; AFAIK each "cell" can be written to X times before it is "dead"; cannot be written to anymore. it can be read endlessly but not written to such as a platter. that is why it is suggested folks get a regular hard drive with an SSD to save data being rewritten to the SSD for such as documents, browser cache, windows swap; data that changes frequently as opposed to applications that (mostly) stays the same on the SSD. though without a platter and SSD can last with "general usage" from 5 to 10 years.

any inexpensive SSD will substantially decrease the time to takes to render a timeline. but a large difference is the data is rewritten in the same blocks; wearing them out much faster, let alone more data being written to the disk as opposed to a "general user". even an enterprise SSD for a server can "burn out" in six months. now a studio or established contractor can be able to afford swapping out SSDs every so often. but i don't know if your friend can afford the cost.

so without digressing further; an SSD would be great but it does have a much higher cost associated with it down the road.
m
0
l
October 29, 2012 11:25:02 AM

Anonymous said:
to over exaggerate; he would be changing the SSD as much as he changes his underwear.

an SSD's life expectancy is measured in writes to the disk; AFAIK each "cell" can be written to X times before it is "dead"; cannot be written to anymore. it can be read endlessly but not written to such as a platter. that is why it is suggested folks get a regular hard drive with an SSD to save data being rewritten to the SSD for such as documents, browser cache, windows swap; data that changes frequently as opposed to applications that (mostly) stays the same on the SSD. though without a platter and SSD can last with "general usage" from 5 to 10 years.

any inexpensive SSD will substantially decrease the time to takes to render a timeline. but a large difference is the data is rewritten in the same blocks; wearing them out much faster, let alone more data being written to the disk as opposed to a "general user". even an enterprise SSD for a server can "burn out" in six months. now a studio or established contractor can be able to afford swapping out SSDs every so often. but i don't know if your friend can afford the cost.

so without digressing further; an SSD would be great but it does have a much higher cost associated with it down the road.



aye. he doesn't have...or doesn't wanna spend the money down the road. the ssd is the shiny sports car that's in the repair shop so often. got it. gah i'm tired and losing it i need a few diablo runs then bed haha. but after all this input(thanks again all) this is what's going to get ordered:

Lite on burner
Corsair Carbide 300R
WD 250GB 10k Velociraptor
Samsung 128GB 830 SSD
Seagate cuda green 2TB
Coarsair 650tx
Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 1600
Intel Core i7-3770K + ASRock Z77 Extreme3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 combo
FirePro W7000
CM Hyper 212

$1864 shipped.
m
0
l
!