Screen goes black after power up and clicking

Hello,
My computer screen goes black after powering up. I can see Windows loading and prompting for password but the second I click the mouse or start to type, the monitor goes BLACK!! Please help!!!
3 answers Last reply
More about screen black power clicking
  1. lori_faber said:
    Hello,
    My computer screen goes black after powering up. I can see Windows loading and prompting for password but the second I click the mouse or start to type, the monitor goes BLACK!! Please help!!!

check to see that your not running a higher res then your monitor can support. if your using an adaptor sometime they fail or dont work right. if the mb has onboard video and a gpu you may have the onboard video set as first video port so windows is switching over to it.start by seting the video boot order to gpu if your usign a gpu and try using f8 safe mode and reset the gpu video to 640 by 480.
  2. smorizio said:
    check to see that your not running a higher res then your monitor can support. if your using an adaptor sometime they fail or dont work right. if the mb has onboard video and a gpu you may have the onboard video set as first video port so windows is switching over to it.start by seting the video boot order to gpu if your usign a gpu and try using f8 safe mode and reset the gpu video to 640 by 480.

Ok, I don't mean to sound stupid but bear with me here:
    1. how do I check the resolution when I basically have no screen
    2. when you say adaptor, are you talking about the connector? If so, I'm wondering if that is not the issue because I noticed the last 3-4 months that the screen would go black and I would just tilt the monitor or reboot and it would work fine then.
    3. you lost me on the mb..I have a separate graphics card (if that means anything)
  3. Better if you post the entire of your hardware config -- meanwhile, try reseting the CMOS.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Up Computer Graphics