Front Panel Audio with P180B, Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, Windows 8?

I have a new Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe with I7-3770K and 16GB RAM installed in an Antec P180B case running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (TechNet release). I have installed the latest RealTek audio driver. Bios is set for AC97 audio, which is what the Antec uses for its front panel (or so I understand).

When I plug headphones into the front panel, sound volume in the headphone is extremely low. If I disable jack detection in the Realtek control panel, then sound volume in the headphone is more reasonable. However, in neither care are the rear speakers muted, which is what I expect and want. I've tried reseating the mobo connector for front panel audio, with no change in behavior.

What I want to happen is to have the rear speakers muted when I plug in headphones into the front jack.

Is that possible? If so, how?

Or should I give up and buy an external switch, and, if so, which one?
2 answers Last reply
More about front panel audio p180b asus p8z77 deluxe windows
  1. Did you plug in the HD audio plug or the individual pins? You most likely need to switch your bios to HD
  2. Since the P180B case says it uses AC 97, shouldn't I use AC 97 in the BIOS? In any event, I had tried HD Audio in the BIOS, as that was the default setting. That didn't work.

There's a cable from the case front panel with the "standard" 10-pin Intel connector, which I have plugged into the Audio pins on the motherboard.

I'm thinking of just getting an external switch. That may actually be more convenient anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Audio Front Panel Systems