Sign in with
Your question

Front Panel Audio with P180B, Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe, Windows 8?

Last response: in Systems
October 29, 2012 2:13:07 AM

I have a new Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe with I7-3770K and 16GB RAM installed in an Antec P180B case running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (TechNet release). I have installed the latest RealTek audio driver. Bios is set for AC97 audio, which is what the Antec uses for its front panel (or so I understand).

When I plug headphones into the front panel, sound volume in the headphone is extremely low. If I disable jack detection in the Realtek control panel, then sound volume in the headphone is more reasonable. However, in neither care are the rear speakers muted, which is what I expect and want. I've tried reseating the mobo connector for front panel audio, with no change in behavior.

What I want to happen is to have the rear speakers muted when I plug in headphones into the front jack.

Is that possible? If so, how?

Or should I give up and buy an external switch, and, if so, which one?
a b B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2012 3:42:21 AM

Did you plug in the HD audio plug or the individual pins? You most likely need to switch your bios to HD
m
l
November 4, 2012 10:58:48 PM

Since the P180B case says it uses AC 97, shouldn't I use AC 97 in the BIOS? In any event, I had tried HD Audio in the BIOS, as that was the default setting. That didn't work.

There's a cable from the case front panel with the "standard" 10-pin Intel connector, which I have plugged into the Audio pins on the motherboard.

I'm thinking of just getting an external switch. That may actually be more convenient anyway.
m
l
!