Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking to upgrade from my GTX 560 SE

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2012 4:45:24 AM

Ok, so i built this computer a while back, and bought the 560 SE, which is an amazing card compared to cards i have used in the past. Im looking to upgrade the graphics card in early 2013 to better prepare for Crysis 3 and other newer games comin out. the cards i am more leaning towards at the moment are the GTX 660 TI, GTX 670, and the GTX 580. i would like to be able to play games on currently own on better settings as well (such as Battlefield 3). which of these GPU's would you guys recommend? im going into this with a no budget, so price really isnt an option, tho i dont want to have to upgrade too many parts to keep up with a GPU ( i recently just purchased the first part of my overhaul: AMD FX 8120 3.1 ghz processor, so my cpu shouldnt bottleneck the GPU... hopefully). i look forward to hearing from you guys :D 

More about : upgrade gtx 560

Best solution

September 2, 2012 5:30:44 AM

If you upgrade your GPU than your CPU will most likely bottleneck it.First i think you should buy a CPU Cooler and overclock the CPU.Since it's from the FX series you should be able to reach 4.5GHZ very easily.
This cooler should be up to the task.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And if you wan't to buy a new graphics card i suggest skipping Nvidia cards as they AMD currently has better cards almost every price point.
For example
HD 6950 > GTX 560 Ti
HD 7850 > GTX 560 Ti 448
HD 7870 > GTX 570
HD 7950 > GTX 660 Ti
HD 7970 >= GTX 670

I hope you got the idea.
Right now the best bang for your buck is a HD 7870 like this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's stock performance is great and it overclocks well too.And this one roght here als o has a really good cooler which will ensure low temperatures and silent operation.
September 2, 2012 5:43:47 AM

so, how badly would the FX 8120 bottlneck the 660 Ti or the 670 (and the amd counterparts) if i dont overclock? and atm i have an Corsair h60, so that should be useful for OC right? i also bought some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound ( ive heard good things about it and at this point i no longer have the stock stuff that was on the h60)
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2012 5:55:15 AM

GeneralJim25 said:
so, how badly would the FX 8120 bottlneck the 660 Ti or the 670 (and the amd counterparts) if i dont overclock? and atm i have an Corsair h60, so that should be useful for OC right? i also bought some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound ( ive heard good things about it and at this point i no longer have the stock stuff that was on the h60)

It shouldn't bottleneck it too bad IMO if you OC it to around 4.3Ghz :)  That should be easily obtainable considering you have a decent CPU cooler.

However, I would opt to get the GTX670 as it is the beefiest card in your list. Crysis 3 will most likely make the best of us lag, so there's no preparing for it :lol: 
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:01:58 AM

mocchan said:
It shouldn't bottleneck it too bad IMO if you OC it to around 4.3Ghz :)  That should be easily obtainable considering you have a decent CPU cooler.

However, I would opt to get the GTX670 as it is the beefiest card in your list. Crysis 3 will most likely make the best of us lag, so there's no preparing for it :lol: 

lol you arent stalkin my posts now are you? XD jk i for one have never been too big a fan of OC, mainly because i have never seen much need for it, tho i do like having the option available to me. iw ont have to upgrade my 700w psu if i do start tinkering with OC, will i? im pretty much settling on getting the 670, but would it really bottleneck it in its stock, default state of 3.1?
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:05:11 AM

GeneralJim25 said:
lol you arent stalkin my posts now are you? XD jk i for one have never been too big a fan of OC, mainly because i have never seen much need for it, tho i do like having the option available to me. iw ont have to upgrade my 700w psu if i do start tinkering with OC, will i? im pretty much settling on getting the 670, but would it really bottleneck it in its stock, default state of 3.1?

Haha, maybe I am stalking you ;) 

But in all seriousness, what is your current PSU model? It would depend on that :)  Though generally, you won't have to upgrade your PSU just to overclock. The power pull from the CPU from stock->OC isn't very significant, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

However, talking bottlenecks, the FX-8120 will bottleneck the GTX670 severely from what I have heard/seen in titles such as Skyrim or BF3 Multiplayer; a mild OC to 4Ghz could easily fix this problem. And it's easily obtainable too! Win-win situation IMO.

On a side note, OCing is something you should consider and start looking into for the performance boost you could gain!
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:05:17 AM

Like he said you should be able to overclock your FX 8120 to at least 4.3 GHz with that cooler.And about the GTX 670 yes it's a very good card but you don't expectto run Crysis 2 at max settings right?
Still if you've got the money for a GTX 670 you can also buy a HD 7970 which is as good as a GTX 670 at stock but it gets better when overclocked.And it will also be less bottlenecked by your CPU.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pne4ZXIGHx8&feature=plcp
Nvidia cards usualy need a very good CPU to perform at their best while AMD cards are happy with what they can get.
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:09:44 AM

mocchan said:
Haha, maybe I am stalking you ;) 

But in all seriousness, what is your current PSU model? It would depend on that :)  Though generally, you won't have to upgrade your PSU just to overclock. The power pull from the CPU from stock->OC isn't very significant, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

However, talking bottlenecks, the FX-8120 will bottleneck the GTX670 severely from what I have heard/seen in titles such as Skyrim or BF3 Multiplayer; a mild OC to 4Ghz could easily fix this problem. And it's easily obtainable too! Win-win situation IMO.

On a side note, OCing is something you should consider and start looking into for the performance boost you could gain!

im going to do a little more research into to OC on the 8120, but i have just heard too many horror stories about overclocking killing a CPU. i also tried for a week to get my current Phenom II X4 to OC to 4ghz, and i could never get it past 3.7 for some reason.
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:11:17 AM

Kamen_BG said:
Like he said you should be able to overclock your FX 8120 to at least 4.3 GHz with that cooler.And about the GTX 670 yes it's a very good card but you don't expectto run Crysis 2 at max settings right?
Still if you've got the money for a GTX 670 you can also buy a HD 7970 which is as good as a GTX 670 at stock but it gets better when overclocked.And it will also be less bottlenecked by your CPU.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pne4ZXIGHx8&feature=plcp
Nvidia cards usualy need a very good CPU to perform at their best while AMD cards are happy with what they can get.

i really dont expect to be able to run any game at max settings XD tho Crysis 2 in max looks amazing i bet lol grrr now i cant decide. luckily i still have time to save up and can decide later. its eems everytime i upgrade, something better comes out right then >.<
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:13:58 AM

I think it would not be a super bottleneck. But I think a i5 unlocked would work better for the 660 ti in sli. But I really haven't used mad products until I wanted to do a htpc build my amd works great so far had some problems with the resolution at first but that was just a conflict with dvi-d. I think if you do considerable overclocking with a self contained waterblock I don't think you will bottle next unless you're power supply bottlenecks but I think anything more then 630 can handle what you want Nvida is amazing at everything the msi 660 ti is really sweet if you like msi and want a good price just my thought but gl.
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:14:40 AM

GeneralJim25 said:
im going to do a little more research into to OC on the 8120, but i have just heard too many horror stories about overclocking killing a CPU. i also tried for a week to get my current Phenom II X4 to OC to 4ghz, and i could never get it past 3.7 for some reason.

I wouldn't worry too much IMO. The only time you could totally fry your CPU is if you pump too much volts through it, or doing some massive OCing. With a VERY MILD OC of 4-4.3Ghz, you shouldn't need to pump too many volts through it, so I wouldn't worry.

Also, those Phenom II's are a pain in the *** to OC :lol:  It's fun, but it's a pain. I could never get my Phenom II X4 955 past 3.8Ghz :(  Even with a massive 1.55v, I could barely reach 4Ghz.... my brother on the other hand, got a golden chip, he could easily OC to 4.2Ghz :lol:  This is where I'll say "Damn you Silicon Lottery!"
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:15:48 AM

GeneralJim25 said:
i really dont expect to be able to run any game at max settings XD tho Crysis 2 in max looks amazing i bet lol grrr now i cant decide. luckily i still have time to save up and can decide later. its eems everytime i upgrade, something better comes out right then >.<

Just keep in mind the HD7970 and GTX670 are head to head performance wise. It would depend on how much money you are willing to spend, and what your current PSU is. You wouldn't want to run the HD7970 on a skimpy 400w unit :lol: 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1273746/radeon-7970-will-out...

These graphs are from a few months ago, but you can see how they perform with the Beta drivers from both the Red and Green team :)  (Obviously Nvidia cards will run better on Nvidia sponsored titles such as BF3/Batman)
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:18:30 AM

mocchan said:
I wouldn't worry too much IMO. The only time you could totally fry your CPU is if you pump too much volts through it, or doing some massive OCing. With a VERY MILD OC of 4-4.3Ghz, you shouldn't need to pump too many volts through it, so I wouldn't worry.

Also, those Phenom II's are a pain in the *** to OC :lol:  It's fun, but it's a pain. I could never get my Phenom II X4 955 past 3.8Ghz :(  Even with a massive 1.55v, I could barely reach 4Ghz.... my brother on the other hand, got a golden chip, he could easily OC to 4.2Ghz :lol:  This is where I'll say "Damn you Silicon Lottery!"

another question, what is the best liquid cooling system to OC with? becuase i really dont want to fry my PC, and the area I live in gets really hot, and that reflects on the CPU temps.
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:20:34 AM

GeneralJim25 said:
another question, what is the best liquid cooling system to OC with? becuase i really dont want to fry my PC, and the area I live in gets really hot, and that reflects on the CPU temps.

Thermaltake H20 Extreme or Corsair H100 for pre-filled liquid cooling units. I would prefer you get something like a Noctua NH-D14 to be honest. It's around $80 and performs better/on-par with the said liquid coolers.

I would only recommend liquid cooling if you're willing to make your own custom loop.
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:24:05 AM

mocchan said:
Thermaltake H20 Extreme or Corsair H100 for pre-filled liquid cooling units. I would prefer you get something like a Noctua NH-D14 to be honest. It's around $80 and performs better/on-par with the said liquid coolers.

I would only recommend liquid cooling if you're willing to make your own custom loop.

thanks for all the advice. ill look into those. i would get a h100, but my case would never support the radiator size. also, im afraid that a custom loop system will start leaking in my system O.o lol
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:29:45 AM

GeneralJim25 said:
thanks for all the advice. ill look into those. i would get a h100, but my case would never support the radiator size. also, im afraid that a custom loop system will start leaking in my system O.o lol

I know what you mean :lol: 

If a NH-D14 is out of your budget/too large for your case, this is a very nice adversary - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It would perform better than the H100 considering the very nice price tag.
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:34:39 AM

mocchan said:
I know what you mean :lol: 

If a NH-D14 is out of your budget/too large for your case, this is a very nice adversary - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It would perform better than the H100 considering the very nice price tag.

can you fix the link lol it just takes me to newegg's home page O.o
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:48:46 AM

GeneralJim25 said:
everytime i click the link it just takes me to neweggs front page >.< i think it just doesnt want me to see it XD

Well that's odd...I think the link hates you :lol:  this is the product name so you could search for yourself :)  - Noctua NH-U9B
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 2, 2012 6:50:58 AM

link sometimes goes dead for some users occasionally.

on a side note, scratch the 660ti from list of possible choices. If your original goal was to play Crysis(3) the 192 memory bus in one of the most heavily anti aliasing crippling game that makes the top end cards cripple as well isn't going to help your cause. Unless crytek actually wants to fix anti aliasing.
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:59:39 AM

mocchan said:
Well that's odd...I think the link hates you :lol:  this is the product name so you could search for yourself :)  - Noctua NH-U9B

well ive looked at those coolers, and to be honest, the standard air cooler look like they could benefit from faster fans. 1200 rpm fans dont seem like something i would put on a heatsink. but then again, the design could make it work, i just think faster fans would be better. i currently use 2x 2000 rpm Cooler Master fans on my H60 radiator, replacing the 1 1700 rpm fan it came with. i have them in push-pull, drawing air into the case. what kinda temps do those Noctua achieve?
m
l
September 2, 2012 7:08:17 AM

GeneralJim25 said:
well ive looked at those coolers, and to be honest, the standard air cooler look like they could benefit from faster fans. 1200 rpm fans dont seem like something i would put on a heatsink. but then again, the design could make it work, i just think faster fans would be better. i currently use 2x 2000 rpm Cooler Master fans on my H60 radiator, replacing the 1 1700 rpm fan it came with. i have them in push-pull, drawing air into the case. what kinda temps do those Noctua achieve?

The Noctua fans were designed to be quiet, but efficient, even at low RPM's. They may not be the coolest of options, but since they were optimised for silence, they do their job very well :) 

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Noctua-NH-U9B-SE...

You can see in these benches that the cooler I have listed is a little warmer than the H100, however, it is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter.

If silence is not what you're looking for, there are plenty of other options out there :)  Thermalright Silver Arrow (Rivals the NH-D14 in performance) being one of them!
m
l
September 2, 2012 7:13:06 AM

mocchan said:
The Noctua fans were designed to be quiet, but efficient, even at low RPM's. They may not be the coolest of options, but since they were optimised for silence, they do their job very well :) 

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Noctua-NH-U9B-SE...

You can see in these benches that the cooler I have listed is a little warmer than the H100, however, it is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter.

If silence is not what you're looking for, there are plenty of other options out there :)  Thermalright Silver Arrow (Rivals the NH-D14 in performance) being one of them!

everything you have said so far has been very informative. thanks. i have never really cared for quiet, cuase i was a console gamer at wont point. xboxes get loud XD i wish there was some way to cram and h100 into my case, but unfortuantely there isnt a place to fit that behemoth radiator. well i look into more of the fans and stuff you mentioned tommorrow. getting tired, and my brain aint functioning right :p  again thanks for all the advice :D 
m
l
September 2, 2012 7:23:15 AM

GeneralJim25 said:
everything you have said so far has been very informative. thanks. i have never really cared for quiet, cuase i was a console gamer at wont point. xboxes get loud XD i wish there was some way to cram and h100 into my case, but unfortuantely there isnt a place to fit that behemoth radiator. well i look into more of the fans and stuff you mentioned tommorrow. getting tired, and my brain aint functioning right :p  again thanks for all the advice :D 

Haha that isn't a good sign! :lol:  Rest well and you're very welcome!
m
l
September 2, 2012 6:40:00 PM

mocchan said:
Something for you to look at tomorrow :)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU6W_YkqILY

good lord that thing is massive O.o i dont think it would fit over my corsair vengeance lol and i would definately take that stock 1200 rpm fan, and add 2 2000 rpm fans atleast to that. right now on my H60 with Arctic Silver 5, i hit a minimum temp of 31 celcius. playing Battlefield 3, i hit like 46 degrees. but im still in the 250 hour burn-in period, so im guessing ill start idling around 29 celcius soon. the h60 is a pain to put on a amd board >.< i dont even think that noctua will fit in my case tho. i would definately have to remove the side panel
m
l
September 2, 2012 7:29:30 PM

The Corsair H60 is a great cooler! It's just a few degrees away from the Corsair H100!
You shouldn't even consider a better cooler unless you're going for a 5GHz overclock.
And one last thing.The FX series outperform the Core i5's in BF3 multiplayer
The only thing you should do in my opinion is overclock the CPU by increasing the Multiplier.Trust me.It's just as easy as it sounds.By Default your multiplier should be 15.5 just increase it to 21 and your CPU will work at 4.2 ghz.Remember that the AMD FXS series are built for overclocking.You can increase your CPU's performance by more than 50% in less than 10 minutes.If you know what you're doing of course.
m
l
September 2, 2012 7:30:35 PM

Kamen_BG said:
The Corsair H60 is a great cooler! It's just a few degrees away from the Corsair H100!
You shouldn't even consider a better cooler unless you're going for a 5GHz overclock.
And one last thing.The FX series outperform the Core i5's in BF3 multiplayer
The only thing you should do in my opinion is overclock the CPU by increasing the Multiplier.Trust me.It's just as easy as it sounds.By Default your multiplier should be 15.5 just increase it to 21 and your CPU will work at 4.2 ghz.Remember that the AMD FXS series are built for overclocking.You can increase your CPU's performance by more than 50% in less than 10 minutes.If you know what you're doing of course.

haha its goin to take me a little while to learn all that confusing stuff about OC'ing. hopefully i fare better than my attempts with my Phenom II
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:08:21 PM

GeneralJim25 said:
haha its goin to take me a little while to learn all that confusing stuff about OC'ing. hopefully i fare better than my attempts with my Phenom II

Once you get the hang of OCing, it'll be much more fun for you! :) 

Also, yes, the NH-D14 is a massive heatsink :lol:  but it's one beast of a cooler which is why I love it, haha.

Though to be honest, your current H60 should fair you quite well with your OC ventures :) 
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:26:35 PM

mocchan said:
Once you get the hang of OCing, it'll be much more fun for you! :) 

Also, yes, the NH-D14 is a massive heatsink :lol:  but it's one beast of a cooler which is why I love it, haha.

Though to be honest, your current H60 should fair you quite well with your OC ventures :) 

haha XD this conversation has moved WAY offcourse from its original topic lol i just messed around with some of the OC settings of my Phenom II using the Catalyst Control Center. from what the control center tells me, itll go over 4.1 ghz O.o ive heard that people dont recommend using programs to OC with, but i would much rather let the program do it, atleast to start with, until i learn more. i will try that cooler one day, if i ever change my case out.

Edit: I actually managed to get the Phenom II to OC to 4.0 finally. I confirmed (sorta lol) that it was at 4.0 while running a quick game of Battlefield 3. i play in a window, and have a CoreTemp app on my desktop. sure enough the app was telling me i was running ingame at 4000Mhz. lol
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:36:18 PM

GeneralJim25 said:
haha XD this conversation has moved WAY offcourse from its original topic lol i just messed around with some of the OC settings of my Phenom II using the Catalyst Control Center. from what the control center tells me, itll go over 4.1 ghz O.o ive heard that people dont recommend using programs to OC with, but i would much rather let the program do it, atleast to start with, until i learn more. i will try that cooler one day, if i ever change my case out.

Edit: I actually managed to get the Phenom II to OC to 4.0 finally. I confirmed (sorta lol) that it was at 4.0 while running a quick game of Battlefield 3. i play in a window, and have a CoreTemp app on my desktop. sure enough the app was telling me i was running ingame at 4000Mhz. lol

Oh nice, what settings did you use to take it to 4Ghz? :)  Hopefully you didn't need massive volts like I did, haha :lol: 

Though, yes, this topic has steered way off course.
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:40:01 PM

mocchan said:
Oh nice, what settings did you use to take it to 4Ghz? :)  Hopefully you didn't need massive volts like I did, haha :lol: 

Though, yes, this topic has steered way off course.

well i let the CCC Amd Overdrive app do it lol it was using 1.5 throughout its Auto Tune Test. After my computer rebooted, i set my computers power plan to High Performance. idk what volts it is currently using to achieve 4.0. is there anyway to check? cuase like i said, the app did most of the work lol
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:44:16 PM

GeneralJim25 said:
well i let the CCC Amd Overdrive app do it lol it was using 1.5 throughout its Auto Tune Test. After my computer rebooted, i set my computers power plan to High Performance. idk what volts it is currently using to achieve 4.0. is there anyway to check? cuase like i said, the app did most of the work lol

If you download CPU-Z, it should tell you exactly what settings you're using :) 
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:46:37 PM

mocchan said:
If you download CPU-Z, it should tell you exactly what settings you're using :) 

i will get right on that :D  hopefully my settings arent too high for just 4.0 lol
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:47:57 PM

GeneralJim25 said:
i will get right on that :D  hopefully my settings arent too high for just 4.0 lol

Haha, yeah, hopefully. It would most likely be best if you test your CPU for stability with Prime95 overnight as well.
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:49:54 PM

mocchan said:
Haha, yeah, hopefully. It would most likely be best if you test your CPU for stability with Prime95 overnight as well.

haha soooo much to do >.< what purpose does prime95 serve anyways?
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:52:45 PM

GeneralJim25 said:
haha soooo much to do >.< what purpose does prime95 serve anyways?

Prime95 serves two purposes -

1) Making sure your CPU is stable; i.e doesn't crash under load
2) Making sure your CPU isn't overheating

Very important to stress test your CPU for at least a few hours before you can deem it "24/7 stable" :) 
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:55:26 PM

mocchan said:
Prime95 serves two purposes -

1) Making sure your CPU is stable; i.e doesn't crash under load
2) Making sure your CPU isn't overheating

Very important to stress test your CPU for at least a few hours before you can deem it "24/7 stable" :) 

ahhh ok. i have read that a good bit of computers usually do crash after a few hours tho while runnin prime95. i hope mine doesnt lol especially since im really not trying to take the Phenom II higher than 4.1. i do intend to take the FX 8120 a tad bit further tho. man, the past 48 hours have been super informative. i have learned more about computers in the past few days than i have in the past 6 years tinkering with em XD
m
l
September 2, 2012 10:02:25 PM

mocchan said:
I'm glad that you learned a lot in the past 48 hrs! :lol: 

However, if you do get your Phenom II to 4.1Ghz... My goodness I'll be jealous :lol:  I just COULD NOT get my X4 955 past 3.8Ghz no matter WHAT I did.... Base clock tinkering, NB tinkering, Multi tinker, it just wouldn't budge.

lol well i only achieved 4.0 because i used AMD overdrive :p  trying manually i only got it to 3.6 >.<
m
l
September 2, 2012 10:02:37 PM

GeneralJim25 said:
ahhh ok. i have read that a good bit of computers usually do crash after a few hours tho while runnin prime95. i hope mine doesnt lol especially since im really not trying to take the Phenom II higher than 4.1. i do intend to take the FX 8120 a tad bit further tho. man, the past 48 hours have been super informative. i have learned more about computers in the past few days than i have in the past 6 years tinkering with em XD

I'm glad that you learned a lot in the past 48 hrs! :lol: 

However, if you do get your Phenom II to 4.1Ghz... My goodness I'll be jealous :lol:  I just COULD NOT get my X4 955 past 3.8Ghz no matter WHAT I did.... Base clock tinkering, NB tinkering, Multi tinker, it just wouldn't budge.
m
l
September 2, 2012 10:06:42 PM

GeneralJim25 said:
lol well i only achieved 4.0 because i used AMD overdrive :p  trying manually i only got it to 3.6 >.<

:lol: 
m
l
September 3, 2012 12:45:23 AM

mocchan said:
:lol: 

so, using AMD Overdrive, i can get the processor to OC at 4.2 total lol i just havent run it in Prime95 yet :p 
m
l
September 3, 2012 12:54:02 AM

GeneralJim25 said:
so, using AMD Overdrive, i can get the processor to OC at 4.2 total lol i just havent run it in Prime95 yet :p 

Oh nice :)  Getting 4.2Ghz is one thing, now seeing if it's 24/7 stable is another :lol: 
m
l
September 9, 2012 12:26:58 AM

Best answer selected by GeneralJim25.
m
l
!