HD 7850 and Bottleneck

KDog_77

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
I'm wondering if anyone would know to what extent an HD 7850 would be bottlenecked by X3 720 BE. The idea is that I would buy the card now because I can get it for a good price and then upgrade the rest of the system in a few months. I probably won't do it if my CPU will cause a big enough bottleneck that I don't see a decent improvement over my HD4870. The main game that I would be upgrading for is Guild Wars 2.

Any help people can give me would be awesome.

Thanks!

_zxzxzx_

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
I'm not sure if this will help but I have a Phenom I 8600 X3 and dual 4800-series cards. With CrossFire disabled, I might get ~40fps in Skyrim and with CrossFire enabled, ~45fps? Overclocking either of the cards above stock doesn't make much difference so I assume that's my CPU bottlenecking.

KDog_77

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Thanks for the responses. Now that I've had a bit more time with the game, I'm realizing that my system really only struggles when there a lot of players around. Otherwise the system handles the game fine. Unfortunately, I enjoy pvping so an upgrade might be in order. As for Crossfire, my mobo only has one x16 slot.

What I need to figure out is what the main cause of fps loss is when in high traffic areas. I'm sure a better CPU would make a world of difference but I'm sure the limits of the hd 4870 would become all the more obvious. Man... I really didn't want to upgrade right now...

jemm

Distinguished
If you´re getting FPS loss, when in high traffic areas, then it could be a server side issue, also known as LAG.

What is your internet connection speed?

People with low internet connection speed also can cause lag in everyone around.